Best skater of each quadrennial- 1977 to today | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Best skater of each quadrennial- 1977 to today

tryingfish

Rinkside
Heh, it would be hard for Mao not to be ahead of Yuna in 4CC medals, seeing as Yuna only went to one 4CC in her entire career (which she won, but all the same).

Yes that is true, but it still doesn't make it irrelevant. It is like Slutskaya dominating Europeans and setting records there while Michelle has never even competed 4CC's is still something in Irina's favor too.

tryingfish

Rinkside
What kind of consistency are we talking about?
Consistency=titles
Or
Consistency= not doing mistakes.

Both. In every sense Kim is more consistent than Mao. Has never finished off the podium in a competition her entire career, atleast senior career, while Mao has a whole bunch of times. Skates clean more often, and limits mistakes more regularly when she does make them.

tryingfish

Rinkside
I am pretty sure that she never ever finished off the podium. Not in baby learn-to-skate up to the Olympics.

Yeah that is a pretty good bet given the state of figure skating back then in South Korea. I did not want to say for sure though as there might have been some competition as a 5 year out she was 5th of 5 girls competing against teenagers though.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Both. In every sense Kim is more consistent than Mao. Has never finished off the podium in a competition her entire career, atleast senior career, while Mao has a whole bunch of times. Skates clean more often, and limits mistakes more regularly when she does make them.

You said in her best years. So i assumed that it was during 2006-2010 quad. Mao's whole bunch of times is two competitions off podium during that quad. So yes Yuna was a bit more consistent if we are talking about titles/podiums since she managed to finish on every podium.
About mistakes, i think that Yuna's consistency reputation is overrated. The prime example of a skater who can afford many mistakes and still medal no matter what. Because she had unmatchable GOEs (and pcs in the last two years). And the competition was so weak that 180 was a good score. Maybe she was a bit more consistent than Mao but not that consistent. Beside making mistakes, Mao was losing a lot of points because of URs.

tryingfish

Rinkside
You said in her best years. So i assumed that it was during 2006-2010 quad. Mao's whole bunch of times is two competitions off podium during that quad. So yes Yuna was a bit more consistent if we are talking about titles/podiums since she managed to finish on every podium.
About mistakes, i think that Yuna's consistency reputation is overrated. The prime example of a skater who can afford many mistakes and still medal no matter what. Because she had unmatchable GOEs (and pcs in the last two years). And the competition was so weak that 180 was a good score. Maybe she was a bit more consistent than Mao but not that consistent. Beside making mistakes, Mao was losing a lot of points because of URs.

Yu Na never had disaesterous skates. That is why she always medaled. Mao does have some disaesterous skates even in her prime years.

And the field was not weak at all in the Yu Na/Mao era. There was a lot more depth than the Kwan/Slutskaya era where you had a skater like Hughes able to win major titles.

tryingfish

Rinkside
While Yuna missed a large part of it, IIRC she never lost to Caro at any of the three big events they faced off at (11 & 13 Worlds, Sochi). Maybe there just wasn't a dominant skater that quad, although I'd pick Yuna if there was one, if only because it was an upset any time she didn't win so her status of being the favorite should mean something.

Yu Na's Olympic loss was also super controversial which should be considered. While she technically did not win there, nearly everyone feels she should have. And Carolina's World title in 2012 was with watered down content in a very weak field. She actually skated much better in winning bronze at the Olympics, and maybe even the silver at the 2013 worlds even with the mistakes than she did with her cleanish but safe skating to win the 2012 worlds in a relative nothing field.

I was split on Kim vs Kostner for 2011-2014 but the more I think about it Kim probably takes that quad too. If she had won the 2014 Olympic Gold it would be a no brainer, and 95% feel she should have anyway.

Her 2011 world loss to Ando was also controversial, although nowhere near as much as the 2014 Olympics loss. And some think Kostner got gifted a few times although she probably deserved all her podium finishes, apart from maybe the 2011 bronze which probably should have gone to Leonova or Czisny.

StephenGfan

Final Flight
Interesting to note that while some have P/C for the 2014-2018 quad V/M beat them everytime overall when they wen't head to head except the gpf 2017...;)

tryingfish

Rinkside
Do Duhamel & Radford have a case as best of the 2015-2018 quad? They do have 1 more World title than either S&M or S&H although Olympic Gold + World gold really beats 2 world titles. Savchenko & Massot deserve credit for medaling in every outing, but part of that is they competed only 2.5 seasons vs 4 like others maybe. And their not winning a European title hurts them even though they were a good 2nd in strong fields twice, and missed 2015 and 2018.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Interesting to note that while some have P/C for the 2014-2018 quad V/M beat them everytime overall when they wen't head to head except the gpf 2017...;)

P/C would have won the Olympics if it weren't for Gabriella's unfortunate costume malfunction in the short dance.

yexiu

Rinkside
For the men, though I'm a big Yuzu fan, I do have to agree that Chan should be considered during 2011-2014 period. But I agree with your choice of having Yuna in two quads, despite her lack of competition, her skills were still there.
Though for ice dance I would have to have V/M in 1 of the periods.

yexiu

Rinkside

I don't agree, Yuna rarely has any really bad skates, usually one obvious mistake, and that's about it. Especially toward later part of her career, her ability to show up and be consistent at the biggest competitions are something to be considered.