Best skater of each quadrennial- 1977 to today | Golden Skate

Best skater of each quadrennial- 1977 to today

rockmypark

Match Penalty
Who was the best skater of each quadrennial from 1977 to today.

Pairs:

1977-1980: Rodnina
1981-1984: Baess & Theirbach
1985-1988: Gordeeva & Grinkov
1989-1992: Miskutienok & Dmitriev
1993-1994: Gordeeva & Grinkov
1995-1998: Woetzel & Steuer
1999-2002: Berezhnya & Sikharulidze
2003-2006: Totmianina & Marinin
2007-2010: Shen & Zhao
2011-2014: Volosozhar & Trankov
2015-2018: Savchenko & Massot

Men:

1977-1980: Jan Hoffmann
1981-1984: Scott Hamilton
1985-1988: Brian Orser
1989-1992: Victor Petrenko
1993-1994: Elvis Stojko
1995-1998: Todd Eldredge
1999-2002: Alexei Yagudin
2003-2006: Evgeny Plushenko
2007-2010: Brian Joubert
2011-2014: Yuzuru Hanyu
2015-2018: Yuzuru Hanyu

Dance:

1977-1980: Moiseeva & Minenkov
1981-1984: Torvill & Dean
1985-1988: Bestiamanova & Bukin
1989-1992: Klimova & Ponomarenko
1993-1994: Usova & Zhulin
1995-1998: Gritschuk & Platov
1999-2002: Anissina & Peizerat
2003-2006: Navka & Kostomarov
2007-2010: Domnina & Shabalin
2011-2014: Davis & White
2015-2018: Papadakis & Cizeron

Ladies:

1977-1980: Anette Poetzsch
1981-1984: Katarina Witt
1985-1988: Katarina Witt
1989-1992: Midori Ito
1993-1994: Kristi Yamaguchi
1995-1998: Tara Lipinski
1999-2002: Irina Slutskaya
2003-2006: Sasha Cohen
2007-2010: Yu Na Kim
2011-2014: Yu Na Kim
2015-2018: Evgenia Medvedeva

rockmypark

Match Penalty
The tough choices for me were:

1981-1984 pairs- Between Valova & Vasiliev and Baess & Theirbach. I picked B&T since they medaled at every worlds and Europeans that whole quad.
1993-1994 pairs- Hard since Gordeeva & Grinkov only competed 1 season. I nearly picked Brasseur & Eisler or Shishkova & Naumov because of that.
1995-1998 pairs- Nobody deserves it.
2011-2014 pairs- Hard between Volosozhar & Trankov and Savchenko & Szolkowy

1989-1992 men: Hard between Petrenko and Browning. I picked Petrenko since Browning didnt even place top 5 at Olympics, Petrenko won everything atleast once, and Browning only won 1990 worlds since it was in Canada.
1995-1998 men: Hard between Kulik, Eldredge, Stojko. I picked Elredge since he was top 2 in every worlds that quad.
2011-2014 men: Hard between Hanyu and Chan. I picked Hanyu since he won everything atleast once.

2003-2006 women: Hard to pick since Cohen, Arakawa, Slutskaya, all have a good case.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i certainly would pick chan for 2011-14... yes yuzu won the olympics but chan was the dominant skater and was always first or second in the big events, including nearly 2 flawless seasons... some others are iffy as well.. but thanks for sharing your perception of the quads....

rockmypark

Match Penalty
i certainly would pick chan for 2011-14... yes yuzu won the olympics but chan was the dominant skater and was always first or second in the big events, including nearly 2 flawless seasons... some others are iffy as well.. but thanks for sharing your perception of the quads....

True, Chan has a good case for that quad to be tops over Hanyu. I usually give the nod to the person who won all the titles (each of Olympics, Worlds, GPF, and for Europeans the Europeans) as long as they have more than 2 world/Olympic medals, which Hanyu did that quad. Although I just realized I did not do that for Lysacek for 2007-2010 and Arakawa for 2003-2006, so in that case Chan could be given 2011-2014 too. Lysacek and Arakawa also dont have a 3rd Olympic/world medal for their quads as Hanyu does (medal in 2012 worlds with his golds at Olympics in 2014, worlds in 2014).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
True, Chan has a good case for that quad to be tops over Hanyu. I usually give the nod to the person who won all the titles (each of Olympics, Worlds, GPF, and for Europeans the Europeans) as long as they have more than 2 world/Olympic medals, which Hanyu did that quad. Although I just realized I did not do that for Lysacek for 2007-2010 and Arakawa for 2003-2006, so in that case Chan could be given 2011-2014 too. Lysacek and Arakawa also dont have a 3rd Olympic/world medal for their quads as Hanyu does (medal in 2012 worlds with his golds at Olympics in 2014, worlds in 2014).

also, the quad cycle ENDS with the olympics... the worlds after the games are not a factor here as they happen after the olympic cycle... so to me, a quad starts for instance with worlds in 2010 up to SOCHI 2014... then, with worlds 2014 up to Korea 2018.... so it makes it easier in some cases as most of the times, worlds right after olympics, top athletes retire or skip.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I would say that Chan was the best in 2011-2014, though i love Yuzu and his 2012 worlds free skate is the skate of the quad for me (ex-aequo with his olympic SP).
I hardly see Kim being the best of 2011-2014 with just one title.

rockmypark

Match Penalty
also, the quad cycle ENDS with the olympics... the worlds after the games are not a factor here as they happen after the olympic cycle... so to me, a quad starts for instance with worlds in 2010 up to SOCHI 2014... then, with worlds 2014 up to Korea 2018.... so it makes it easier in some cases as most of the times, worlds right after olympics, top athletes retire or skip.

I disagree on that. To me a quad ends when the last Olympic season of the quadrennial ends which includes post Olympic worlds which is when most people retire anyway, not right after the Olympics.

rockmypark

Match Penalty
I hardly see Kim being the best of 2011-2014 with just one title.

Kim in 2011-2014 was mostly by default since I cant think of anyone else. She is a weakish choice but there is almost nobody else who makes sense. You say only one title, but nobody has more than 1 title that quad and everyone knows she is the real winner of the 2014 Olympics too anyway, and some thought she was robbed at the 2011 worlds too.

If not her who?

Sotnikova, LOL, next.

Lipnitskaia? One good season, and didnt even medal individually at the Olympics or win worlds or the GPF in it.

Asada? One gold and one bronze at worlds despite competing at all 4, and didnt medal at the Games. No.

Ando? An iffy world title in 2011 then nothing, not a chance.

The only other one I can see a case for is Kostner who also won only 1 world title in a weaker year than 2013 or 2014, and won a medal at the Olympics behind Kim. So it was between Kim and Kostner, with no other realistic choices, and I favor Kim slightly. I can see a case for Kostner for competing all quad and medaling at each Worlds and Olympics though. I actually had forgot Kostner medaled at all 5 major events that quad, maybe I will change my choice to her now. The reason I probably still pick Kim is I disregard her loss at the 2014 Olympics given how ridiculous it was though, although even there you could make a possible case for Kostner winning too (way more than Sotnikova that is for sure, lol).

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Some of the quads probably really need to be split, but if you had to pick one, Patrick does edge out Yuzu for 2011-14, even if Yuzu had had the most memorable and probably loved skate of the quad (Worlds 12) and took the triple gold at the end... Patrick was 'firstest and bestest' as the saying goes for the first three years no question.

Actually, a further and different question would probably be which skater/team is going to be The Name In History for each quad. Because even though Papadakis & Cizeron have the weight of medals, from a not all that au fait but watching from outside POV, I would give the latter for 2015-18 to Virtue & Moir, they are The Names...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I disagree on that. To me a quad ends when the last Olympic season of the quadrennial ends which includes post Olympic worlds which is when most people retire anyway, not right after the Olympics.

well then our rankings would obviously be different. Worlds after Olympic games are not even held in MANY other SPORTS... like track and field, swimming, diving... a quad is the cycle that ENDS with the Olympics. It's not really up for debate actually... it's what it is.

rockmypark

Match Penalty
well then our rankings would obviously be different. Worlds after Olympic games are not even held in MANY other SPORTS... like track and field, swimming, diving... a quad is the cycle that ENDS with the Olympics. It's not really up for debate actually... it's what it is.

I dont see what those other sports matter, since in figure skating they do hold a Worlds. For me every sport the quad ends when the final season/Olympic season of that quad ends. Of course you can do your rankings your own way, so if for you Worlds after the Olympics is not part of the quad go right ahead with that in your own rankings, for me the post Olympic Worlds are part of that quad, not the next one.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Kim in 2011-2014 was mostly by default since I cant think of anyone else. She is a weakish choice but there is almost nobody else who makes sense. You say only one title, but nobody has more than 1 title that quad and everyone knows she is the real winner of the 2014 Olympics too anyway, and some thought she was robbed at the 2011 worlds too.

If not her who?

Sotnikova, LOL, next.

Lipnitskaia? One good season, and didnt even medal individually at the Olympics or win worlds or the GPF in it.

Asada? One gold and one bronze at worlds despite competing at all 4, and didnt medal at the Games. No.

Ando? An iffy world title in 2011 then nothing, not a chance.

The only other one I can see a case for is Kostner who also won only 1 world title in a weaker year than 2013 or 2014, and won a medal at the Olympics behind Kim. So it was between Kim and Kostner, with no other realistic choices, and I favor Kim slightly. I can see a case for Kostner for competing all quad and medaling at each Worlds and Olympics though. I actually had forgot Kostner medaled at all 5 major events that quad, maybe I will change my choice to her now. The reason I probably still pick Kim is I disregard her loss at the 2014 Olympics given how ridiculous it was though, although even there you could make a possible case for Kostner winning too (way more than Sotnikova that is for sure, lol).

That quad has no dominant skater. All 5 major titles (worlds and olympics) were won by 5 different skaters. Kostner can be a choice since she medaled at each event. But she was not dominant or the best imo. Generous scoring helped her a lot at some events.

rockmypark

Match Penalty
That quad has no dominant skater. All 5 major titles (worlds and olympics) were won by 5 different skaters. Kostner can be a choice since she medaled at each event. But she was not dominant or the best imo. Generous scoring helped her a lot at some events.

I agree the quad had no dominant skater. I picked someone as the best for each one though. So unless you are saying I should have left it blank, Kim was a reasonable choice. Kim and Kostner are the only two choices that wouldnt be ridiculous. That is why I was asking who you would have chosen instead, it seems you would have just left it blank but I wanted to choose someone for every quad.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I dont see what those other sports matter, since in figure skating they do hold a Worlds. For me every sport the quad ends when the final season/Olympic season of that quad ends. Of course you can do your rankings your own way, so if for you Worlds after the Olympics is not part of the quad go right ahead with that in your own rankings, for me the post Olympic Worlds are part of that quad, not the next one.

that's because i watch many sports, and all of them talk about the QUAD OLYMPIC CYCLE with the OLYMPICS being the last event In other words, that definition is not particular to figure skating but is widely spread among other sports... What happens after the games has no influence on the previous quads, and helps defining what will happen in the next quad. I am fine that you disagree with that, all I wanted to clarify is the reason why I mention other sports... It's like that almost everywhere in sport... the culmination is saved for the Olympics... and from there, another cycle starts. I guess it can be confusing in figure skating because people keep their same programs and we see it as a longer season... but in reality, with the many withdrawals, some fans don't even care about the worlds of the olympic year. It is an opportunity for skaters to establish themselves, when the fields are depleted.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
I agree the quad had no dominant skater. I picked someone as the best for each one though. So unless you are saying I should have left it blank, Kim was a reasonable choice. Kim and Kostner are the only two choices that wouldnt be ridiculous. That is why I was asking who you would have chosen instead, it seems you would have just left it blank but I wanted to choose someone for every quad.

I would consider Mao... seriously

rockmypark

Match Penalty
I thought of Mao but the fact she didnt even medal at the Olympics ruled her out for me. She would need more than 1 world title to overcome that, and she her 2014 world title is her only top 2 finish at worlds or Olympics that quad. And if we go by 4everchan's logic of post Olympic Worlds not being part of a quad, then Mao really is totally out of contention for tops of the 2015-2018 quad now as that rules out even her 2018 world title.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Have to agree. We have just finished the 2018-19 season, which climaxes with Worlds as it should. You can't really seriously say that the Worlds comp each year is to be counted as being in in the following season which is months away, and if it's true for other years, it has to be true for Olympic years. They may climax a bit earlier with the Olympics, but they still finish with Worlds and 4CC etc (and that is how it appears as I understand on all official websites and notifications. That's the only way it makes sense -?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the worlds each year are not to be counted in the following season... that's not what I said... you are misunderstanding... what I said is that WORLDS right after Olympics are NOT a factor in the Olympic cycle... though they are not representative of a quad per se.

as I have explained, an Olympic CYCLE ends with the Olympics... no matter where the usual season normally ends for an athlete... Most of the summer sports have made this very easy to follow as they have world championships every TWO years... on odd YEARS... and the cycle culminates with the Olympics.... finishing the year with worlds after Olympics is fine as in figure skating, and some other winter sports, there is an annual event like a world cup trophy or a world championship... HOWEVER the quad CYCLE REMAINS the same... this is not just an opinion I am throwing out there... it's the way it works in sport in general and the way it is viewed by experts and commentators... even athletes do not regard the post olympics worlds as valuable as the one before olympics for instance... how many skaters skip it? MANY... it confirms that the worlds following olympics is not to be included in the quad ... anyways... as I said, this is not my opinion... just a fact... so i can repeat the facts over and over and over, like the sky is blue, but if someone insists that the sky is yellow... then what can i do????

macy

Record Breaker
Ladies:

1977-1980: Anette Poetzsch
1981-1984: Katarina Witt
1985-1988: Katarina Witt
1989-1992: Midori Ito
1993-1994: Kristi Yamaguchi
1995-1998: Tara Lipinski
1999-2002: Irina Slutskaya
2003-2006: Sasha Cohen
2007-2010: Yu Na Kim