Best skater of each quadrennial- 1977 to today | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Best skater of each quadrennial- 1977 to today

timdalton

Match Penalty
It could have been a great quad but for injuries that undercut both of the D&S's at the end (plus Isabelle Delobel had a baby). This left Virtue and Moir in the driver's seat by default for the Olympic year. Delobel and Shoenfelder always had the most innovative programs, to me (but that is personal preference).

Delobel & Schoenfelder were also criminally underrated by judges. Even with that I think they defend their World title in 2009 without their fluke injury in the exo at the Grand Prix final making them miss that event. Although Domnina & Shabalin probably also are 2 time winners had they been able to skate at the 2008 worlds. Both teams ironically probably got their lone world title by the other being absent.

Yeah Virtue & Moir were great in 2010 but with injuries, decline, and a sequence of bad luck for both D&S teams they were in the drivers seat almost by default for Vancouver. And the USFSA foolishly putting Davis & White over the more seasoned Belbin & Agosto, when B&A would be taken more seriously by judges as a gold contender at that point, make it all the easier still.

95-98: Lipinski Close between Kwan and Lipinski. Tara not only has the Olympic Gold Michelle doesnt, but a world gold, and 2 GPF wins to only 1 for Kwan. Good enough for me.

Still, taking the entire four years into account, I think we have to go with Michelle.

In 1994-95 Tara had 0 senior competitions and placed 4th at Junior Worlds. Michelle placed 4th at senior worlds, and probably should have medalled.

In 1995-96 Michelle won every event she entered including the GP final and the world championship. Tara was 15th at Worlds and 4th at the Nebelhorn trophy.

The last two years of the quad Tara did great, and you can't overlook the Olympic gold medal. Still, she never won an individual grand prix event in her entire career, despite the two GP finals victories. In the last three years of the quad Michelle finished first or second in every event she entered, 11 golds and 3 silvers.

As for Tara having a world gold medal from the quad, Michelle has two.

Last edited:

timdalton

Match Penalty
Still, taking the entire four years into account, I think we have to go with Michelle.

In 1994-95 Tara had 0 senior competitions and placed 4th at Junior Worlds. Michelle placde 4th at senior worlds, and probably should have medalled.

In 1995-96 Michelle won every event she entered including the GP final and the world championship. Tara was 15th at Worlds and 4th at the Nebelhorn trophy.

The last two years of the quad Tara did great, and you can't overlook the Olympic gold medal. Still, she never won an individual grand prix event in her entire career, despite the two GP finals victories. In the last three years of the quad Michelle finished first or second in every event event she entered, 11 golds and 3 silvers.

As for Tara having a world gold medal from the quad, Michelle has two.

The reason I went with Tara is she not only won the Olympics, obviously by far the biggest event, but she even trumps Kwan in the 3rd biggest event, the GPF, where she won 2 to Kwan's 1. With a World and National win she won at every relevant level that quad. For me that is enough, even if she was only relevant 2 years of that quad. And look at it another way, which set of results alone would a skater choose towards their career between Tara's achievements that quad vs Michelle's. Pretty sure more would pick Tara.

If Kwan had medaled in the 95 worlds good chance I pick her for medaling in every Worlds/Olympics that quad. She didnt though, and on the whole wasnt that relevant in 94-95 apart from her surprisingly good worlds (she finished below Kwiatkowski in their 2 international meetings and barely held her off for 2nd at Nationals, was 0-5 vs Bonaly on the season with Bonaly not even being the top skater of that season, and didnt win an event she entered all year either), which is why it is easier to dismiss Tara being irrelevant 2 seasons based on age since Kwan wasnt really that relevant for 1 season herself. The same way I would have maybe picked Cohen if she medaled at the 2003 worlds but she likewise didnt.

Triple loop

Rinkside
Having watched these events at the time, I think Mao was more favored to win in 2007 and 2008. Kim only managed bronze at 2007 and 2008 Worlds. You can say Kim dominated the quad overall if you want but Mao dominated the first 2 years.

I will have to agree with you. Mao did incredibly well in 2007 and 2008 with her silver and gold medal at worlds. I was watching ABC/ESPN broadcast of her competitions then and Dick Button and Peggy Fleming praised her skating. I heard Dick say that Mao was the best skater he had ever seen in a long time. In my opinion, Mao is a legend for what she did in and for the sport. 😃

timdalton

Match Penalty
Anyone who claims Mao dominated the 2006-2007 season where she was 3rd at Skate America, lost to Kim at the Grand Prix final, lost to Miki at Worlds, and won only 2 competitions- Nationals and NHK, is living in a fantasy la la land of sorts creating their own reality.

I guess with all 1sts and a 2nd at the GPF you could say technically Mao dominated the 2007-2008 season despite that Kim was outdoing her and outscoring her all season long prior to just worlds. And even at Worlds with a bad injury won the LP phase and nearly won, with a virtual 3 way tie for 1st including a disgracefully overmarked (after blowing her LP) Kostner, and Mao won without even winning either program.

2006-2007 dominance though, LOL!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Having watched these events at the time, I think Mao was more favored to win in 2007 and 2008. Kim only managed bronze at 2007 and 2008 Worlds. You can say Kim dominated the quad overall if you want but Mao dominated the first 2 years.

Imo they are tied for that quad. The edge can be given to Kim since olympics weight a lot and in face-to-face Kim is slightly ahead. But imo Kim wasn't that ultra dominant.
Kim were the best the two last seasons but she has never done a perfect season. In 2008-2009 she won 4CC and worlds but Mao won GPF. In 2009-2010 she won GPF and olympics but Mao won worlds. I know that Kim has the reputation of a consistent and always high scoring skater during those seasons but she wasn't really like that imo. It's just that she won two major events in fashion (worlds 2009 and olympics).
There are many events during those two seasons were she had shaky performances and got low scores but still won. Yes, Asada wasn't as or more consistent or intouchable but she got many wins.
Asada collected 2 worlds+1 oly silver+ 2 4CCs + 1 GPF (the first was in the previous quad) in that quad.
Kim collected 1 worlds + 1 oly gold + 1 4CCs + 3 GPFs.
Face to face in major events: Kim 5 - 4 Asada
Asada finished higher at 2007, 2008, 2010 worlds, 2008 GPF.
Kim finished higher at 2009 worlds, 2010 olympics, 2009 4CCs, and at 2006,2007 GPF.

So i wouldn't say strongly that Kim dominated the quad.

timdalton

Match Penalty
Kim vs Asada for best of that quad is a no brainer to anyone with an actual brain or not consumed by personal bias. Olympic Gold + World Gold >>>>>> 2 World Golds. 3 GPF wins >>> 1 GPF win. And of course Kim medaling every event that quad, and every Worlds and Olympics that quad, which Mao did not do. Kim ending the quad with the WR scores by a large margin over Asada and everyone in the short program, long program, and overall, and she was far more consistent than Asada on top of that. And while this isnt even important as Kim's record is far better already, in addition to all this Kim also won atleast 1 program at every major event, and commandingly won both programs in her World and Olympic wins, while Mao didnt win even one of the short or long program in her 2 world wins, LOL!

And if you want to break it down by season, Kim was the best in 2 seasons and the most important one by a ton, and one of those seasons Asada was like the 3rd or 4th best (2008-2009). Asada was the best over Kim in 1 by a bit I guess only due to worlds. Ando was probably the best in the other, or a 3 way tie between Ando, Kim, Asada basically. So combining it, Kim comes out overall by a lot. Only a troll would think otherwise. As you will notice I did not even highlight/bold it as a tough call one on my own list, since it was not. It was so easy I didnt even have to think about it unlike Kim vs Kostner for the 2011-2014 quad, Kwan vs Slutskaya for 99-2002, Arakawa vs Slutskaya for 2003-2006, and Kwan vs Lipinski for 95-98, which all required me to think some. It was instead just like Medvedeva for the 2015-2018 quad, ho hum, no brainer, next.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
ok but in all honesty here are my picks for most dominant skater of each quadrennial. Please don't send me hate for this but I will take no constructive criticisms

Men:

1977-1980: Keegan Messing
1981-1984: Keegan Messing
1985-1988: Keegan Messing
1989-1992: Keegan Messing
1993-1994: Keegan Messing
1995-1998: Keegan Messing
1999-2002: Keegan Messing
2003-2006: Keegan Messing
2007-2010: Keegan Messing
2011-2014: Keegan Messing
2015-2018: Keegan Messing

I love your choice. Keep on rooting for Keegan. He's fun to watch anyway.

Ballade88

On the Ice
A list without Michelle Kwan just seems wrong. :scratch2:

I thought she was clearly the best skater from 1996-2001. She won against Irina in most of their Worlds match ups. Tara's dominance lasted like a year or so. She won the gold in 1998, but I could hardly say she was the dominant skater that season. Michelle was injured for the first half of the season but she had a commanding win over Tara at Nationals, which was an important event in those days. The 1998 Olympics was also a close competition, and results remain debatable to this day.

Even though Kostner medaled at every Worlds from 2011-2014, I can't see her as a candidate for the dominant skater of that period. I agree there wasn't one dominant skater but she seems like a weak choice. She won the gold at Worlds in the weakest year. She was still inconsistent enough to not make the GPF in the Olympic season. Her Sochi performances were amazing but also surprising for many people. I don't recall anyone thinking she was sure bet for the gold or even a medal, which doesn't make me think dominant skater by any means.

I think both Mao and Yuna were dominant in 2007-2010. Yuna didn't start dominating until she won Worlds in 2009. She and Mao had similar records in the 2006-07 and 2007-08 seasons but Mao won Worlds in 2008 and was second in 2007, while Yuna only won bronze at Worlds in those years. So I would give Mao the first half of the quad and Yuna the second half. And I still wouldn't give Sasha the 2003-06 quad! She was never dominant. Very good, in the mix, but not dominant.

It was a close competition between 2006-2008. Mao was her own worst enemy in 2006-2007. Coming off her incredible win in 2005 GPF, she was seen as a favorite in every event she entered in her first full senior year. She placed first in the SP throughout the Grand Prix season but then often messing up the long to lose out on the gold. She did however score the highest combined total at NHK that year which would not be broken until 2009 Worlds. There is also an argument that she should have won the gold in 2007 over Miki; it was very close. I don't think the predicted winner for events during the first two years were as clear cut as post 2009 Worlds. I would give the edge to Mao during the first two years because she placed higher at Worlds.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Theres a difference between best skater and most dominant or most titled skater

For example, I believe Sasha Cohen was the best skater of the Torino quad, but Irina/Shizuka were the most titled.

I believe Carolina was the best skater of the Sochi quad (Mao a close 2nd), with Kim being the most dominant in the events she entered, but she competed in less than 5 major events in that quad, so I can’t say she was dominant overall.

Ballade88

On the Ice
Theres a difference between best skater and most dominant or most titled skater

For example, I believe Sasha Cohen was the best skater of the Torino quad, but Irina/Shizuka were the most titled.

I believe Carolina was the best skater of the Sochi quad (Mao a close 2nd), with Kim being the most dominant in the events she entered, but she competed in less than 5 major events in that quad, so I can’t say she was dominant overall.

I agree that there is a difference between best and most dominant, but I don't agree that Sasha was the best of her squad. I think she was the best artist but she wasn't up to par technically with either Irina or Shizuka at their best. In some ways, the pre-Torino period was even stranger and more erratic that pre-Sochi era. It was bookended by two skaters who were not able to attend the Torino Olympics due to different reasons. Michelle had a dominant year in 2003 but declined due to injuries and age. Mao gained the spotlight in 2005 but was not age eligible to attend the Olympics. Even the relatively consistent Irina was derailed by health issues The stage was primed for Sasha to be queen but she never rose to the occasion, not even at the post-Olympics 2006 worlds.

Carolina had more success than Sasha, but for most of the pre-Sochi squad, she competed with watered down content. When she did add more content, she often made mistakes. She was generously scored at 2013 Worlds and the long program at 2014 worlds. Her Sochi performances were probably the best combined set of programs of the period, but they were an anomaly in the context of her career. For these reasons, I can't consider her to be best of that period.

Blueberry

Spectator
Also consider all-around skill development - Asada & Kostner improved tremendously between 2010 and 2014 in almost all aspects of their skating whereas the same cannot be said about Kim.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
Who was the best skater of each quadrennial from 1977 to today.

Pairs:

1993-1994: Gordeeva & Grinkov I miss them
2007-2010: Shen & Zhao My favorite pair

Men:

2011-2014: Yuzuru Hanyu <-- Interesting. I would have said Patrick Chan instead
2015-2018: Yuzuru Hanyu

Ladies:

1995-1998: Tara Lipinsky <-- nah. She might have won World and Olympics within a short period of time, but Michelle Kwan didn't exist to get disrespected like that
1999-2002: Irina Slutskaya <-- I think Michelle actually straddled these two quads

I know nothing about Dance so I won't respond to that.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Delobel & Schoenfelder were also criminally underrated by judges. Even with that I think they defend their World title in 2009 without their fluke injury in the exo at the Grand Prix final making them miss that event. Although Domnina & Shabalin probably also are 2 time winners had they been able to skate at the 2008 worlds. Both teams ironically probably got their lone world title by the other being absent.

Yeah Virtue & Moir were great in 2010 but with injuries, decline, and a sequence of bad luck for both D&S teams they were in the drivers seat almost by default for Vancouver. And the USFSA foolishly putting Davis & White over the more seasoned Belbin & Agosto, when B&A would be taken more seriously by judges as a gold contender at that point, make it all the easier still.

Belbin & Agosto were not removed by USFSA but by health issues, a catastrophic fall in the CD at Worlds in 2008, and a decision to move to Linichuk as a coach, and by being conclusively trounced at US Nationals.

In 2008-2009, they won neither of their GPs, and withdrew from US Nationals and the GPF. They were second at Worlds, to an injured Domnina & Shabalin.

In 2010, they again withdrew from the GPF, due to health issues, and like Domnina & Shabalin, there were Linichuk costume & program issues. Ben's back, like Shabalin's, was a problem. They lost key training time.

When they arrived at 2010 US Nationals, Belbin & Agosto appeared inconsistent, with health issues, with not very good programs. Meanwhile Davis & White were the 2009-10 GPF champions, the 2009 US Champions, partially due to Belbin & Agosto's withdrawal, and had the most interesting SD of the season, their Bollywood dance. At 2009 Worlds, Davis & White were in a near tie with B&A and Domnina & Shabalin in the FD, and many people felt they were underscored in that portion of the event. At 2010 Nationals, Davis & White won all three segments of the event. Particularly impressive was their win in the Golden Waltz, because the CD had always been their weakest part of the event.

USFSA did not pick Davis & White to win, they just won the event by skating really well and having good programs. A novel thing, the better team at the event won, which is what a fan should always want to happen.

Last edited:

Roo87

Medalist
Savchenko & Massot were much better than Duhamel & Radford in 2016-2017 too where they won silver at Worlds and D&R were 7th, not even top Canadian. And it isnt just their Olympic skates in 2018. They also had dominant skates in winning the GPF and Worlds, Worlds where they topped their WR LP and set a new SP and overall WR score. They were much more emphatic at those 2 events than the Games.

Both teams were better than the other 2 seasons, but an Olympic Gold plus World gold plus World silver plus World bronze easily trumps 2 World golds and an Olympic bronze, and both won the GPF only once too. Savchenko & Massot medaled in every event they were able to compete in too, including all 3 worlds and the Olympics. Sui & Han might even have a better case for the top team of that quad than Duhamel & Radford.

You can’t judge D/R based on 2017 worlds. Eric was severely injured, and only skated to try and secure 3 spots for Canada for the Olympics. He was so injured that they didn’t even train together much before the Olympics. Duhamel actually started to train singles with Kaetlyn because she wasn’t sure if Eric would be ready, she would have actually tried to compete in singles at the 2018 Olympics.

grantjarvis

Spectator
Pairs:

1985-1988: Gordeeva & Grinkov by a lot; Valova & Vasiliev distant 2nd
1989-1992: Miskutienok & Dmitriev by a lot; Gordeeva & Grinkov and Brasseur & Eisler distant 2nd
1993-1994: Shishkova & Naumov by a bit over Brasseur & Eisler and Gordeeva & Grinkov
1995-1998: Kazakova & Dmitriev by default
1999-2002: Berezhnya & Sikharulidze by a lot; Sale & Pelletier distant 2nd
2003-2006: Totmianina & Marinin by a bit over Shen & Zhao
2007-2010: Savchenko & Szolkowy by a bit over Shen & Zhao
2011-2014: Volosozhar & Trankov by a lot; Savchenko & Szolkowy distant 2nd
2015-2018: Savchenko & Massot by a bit over Sui & Han and Duhamel & Radford

Men:

1985-1988: Brian Boitano by a bit over Orser
1989-1992: Victor Petrenko by a bit over Browning
1993-1994: Elvis Stojko by a bit over Urmanov
1995-1998: Ilia Kulik by a bit over Stojko
1999-2002: Alexei Yagudin by a lot; Plushenko distant 2nd
2003-2006: Evgeny Plushenko by a lot; Lambiel distant 2nd
2007-2010: Evan Lysacek by a lot; Joubert distant 2nd
2011-2014: Yuzuru Hanyu by a bit over Chan
2015-2018: Yuzuru Hanyu by a bit over Fernandez

Dance:

1985-1988: Bestiamanova & Bukin
1989-1992: Klimova & Ponomarenko by a lot; Duchensays distant 2nd
1993-1994: Gritschuk & Platov by a bit over Usova & Zhulin
1995-1998: Gritschuk & Platov by a lot; Krylova & Ovsianniov distant 2nd
1999-2002: Anissina & Peizerat by a lot; Fusar Poli & Margalio distant 2nd
2003-2006: Navka & Kostomarov by a lot; Denkova & Stayvinski distant 2nd
2007-2010: Delobel & Schoenfelder by a bit over Domnina & Shabalin and Virtue & Moir
2011-2014: Davis & White by a lot; Virtue & Moir distant 2nd
2015-2018: Papadakis & Cizeron by a bit over Virtue & Moir

Ladies:

1985-1988: Katarina Witt by a lot; Debi Thomas distant 2nd
1989-1992: Midori Ito by a bit over Yamaguchi
1993-1994: Baiul by default
1995-1998: Tara Lipinski/Michelle Kwan (virtual tie)
1999-2002: Irina Slutskaya by a bit over Kwan
2003-2006: Irina Slutskaya by a bit over Arakawa
2007-2010: Yu Na Kim by a lot; Asada distant 2nd
2011-2014: Yu Na Kim by a bit over Kostner and Asada
2015-2018: Evgenia Medvedeva by a bit over Zagitova

grantjarvis

Spectator
Much as I love Savchenko & Massot and their Olympic/Worlds winning free skate, I would like to suggest that Duhamel & Radford should also have a claim on the 'best' between 2015-2018. They won the world title twice, went undeafeated for 10 straight competitions, achieved a grand slam in the 2014-15 season (won Worlds, 4CC and GPF in the same season) and from 2014 Worlds to 2018 Olympics only missed the podium once (2017 Worlds).

Savchenko and Massot didn't compete at all in the 2014-15 season, and didn't compete the Grand Prix in the 2015-16 season and although they were amazing in the 2017-18 and their Olympic free skate was so, so glorious, this takes them out of the running for the title of 'best' in my opinion. I could see why people could argue they could be proclaimed the 'best' for that quadrennial based on their Olympic skate alone though!

Savchenko & Massot medaled at every major event (Europeans, Grand Prix final, Worlds, Olympics) they competed in starting at the 2016 Europeans. It is not like they just did well for one season. And they dominated the whole 2017-2018 season like no team dominated a season all quad, crushing both Sui & Han and Duhamel & Radford at the Grand Prix final, winning the Olympics with their historic free skate, and crushing everyone at worlds with WRs in scores that will probably last another 10 years and had either S&H or D&R gone would have gotten crushed too since Savchenko & Massot did not mess up their short program like at the Olympics.

Sui & Han have a good case as best of that quad. World gold, 2 world silvers, Olympic silver, GPF and Four Continents wins, you could argue they have an equal or better record than Duhamel & Radford too.

You could make a case for all 3 teams, but Duhamel & Radford have the weakest case since they lost to both teams at the Olympics, and medaled in only 2 worlds vs 3 for both Sui & Han and Savchenko & Massot, and have a couple really poor showings in competitions which neither of those other teams have anywhere. Their only case is winning 2 worlds, but still probably not enough.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
And they dominated the whole 2017-2018 season like no team dominated a season all quad
I actually don't disagree with naming Savchenko/Massot as the team of the 2014-18 quad (if you view the quad as a story, they have the most obvious narrative), but this isn't true -- on a per season basis, the most dominant team was Duhamel/Radford's 2014-15 season, where they won everything they entered (which S/M did not in 2017-18) and by generally comparable margins.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
This is an interesting thread, but I would have loved to see a bit more of the methods of assigning the merit of best skater for each 4-year period. A lot of emphasis seems to be on the major competitions, but e.g. the Olympics is one competition (however defining) in 4 years – what if the skater/team who won just about everything else in those 4 years gets injured and cannot participate or cannot skate to his/her/their normal level? Sometimes the OG winner can also be a bit of a surprise compared to what has happened in the previous seasons. Also, how to evaluate a skater who has skated only a season or two of the quad for whatever reason and ends up winning a lot? Do their/her/his excellent performances in one season outdo 4 years of good results?

I decided to spend a couple of evenings looking at single skaters (don’t have any opinions on pairs or dance) and tried to figure out a way to evaluate the results.

First, the skaters included per quad were those who at the end were on the OG podium plus possible other winners of major competitions (WC, EC/4CC/GPF if they featured as medalists in more than one competition). Second, I counted their results for the 4 years based on their Wikipedia entries (not entirely unproblematic as a source, but particularly for the 1970s and 1980s and even 1990s not much else is easily available). Third, compared the major players with each other and to the suggestions by the OP and others. I counted simple percentages for medaled competitions, won competitions. Plus in the end looked at results in major competitions, if some skaters were very close otherwise.

1976-1980 Hoffman
Robin Cousins, OG, medaled in every competition, won 4/9 competitions; major wins OG, EC, 3 medals WC, 3 medals EC
Jan Hoffmann, OS, medaled in every competition, won 4/10 competitions; major wins WC, 3 EC, medals OG, 3 medals WC, 1 medal EC
Hoffmann wins (more wins, medals and won more mutual competitions).

1980-1984 Hamilton
Scott Hamilton, OG, medaled in every competition, won every competition.
Hamilton wins (there was no competition).

1984-1988 Orser
Brian Boitano, OG, medaled in every competition, won 6/11 competitions; major wins OG, 2 WC, 2 medals WC
Brian Orser, OS, medaled in every competition, won 5/11 competitions; major wins WC, medal OG, 2 medals WC
Boitano wins (more wins, won more mutual competitions).

1988-1992 Petrenko
Victor Petrenko, OG, medaled 14/15 competitions, won 7/15 competitions (47 %), major wins OG, WC, EC, 2 medals WC, 1 medal EC (EC not used here because there was no equal championship for Browning to participate at the time)
Kurt Browning, no OG medal, medaled 13/14 competitions, won 9/14 competitions (64 %), major wins 3 WC, 1 medal in WC
Browning wins (more wins, won more mutual competitions).

1992-1994 Stojko
Alexei Urmanov, OG, medaled 7/9 competitions, won 2/9 competitions; major wins OG, 1 medal WC, 1 medal EC
Elvis Stojko, OS, medaled in every competition, won 3/5 competitions; major wins WC, medal OG, 1 medal WC
Stojko wins.

1994-1998 Eldredge
Ilja Kulik, OG, medaled 13/19 competitions, won 6/19 competitions; major wins OG, GPF, EC, 1 medal WC, 1 medal EC (EC not included here because there was no comparable competition for Stojko/Eldgrede)
Elvis Stojko, OS, medaled 14/15 competitions, won 10/15 competitions; major wins 2 WC, GPF, 1 medal OG, 2 medals GPF
Todd Eldredge, no OG medal, medaled 15/18 competitions, won 8/18 competitions; major wins WC, 3 medals WC, 2 medals GPF
Stojko wins (again, and quite clearly).

1998-2002 Yagudin
Alexei Yagudin, OG, medaled in every competition, won 18/24 competitions; major wins OG, 3 WC, 2 GPF, 2 EC, 1 medal WC, 1 medal GPF, 2 medals EC
Evgeny Plushenko, OS, medaled in 24/25 competitions, won 17/25 competitions; major wins WC, 2 GPF, 2 EC, medal OG, 2 medals WC, 1 medal GPF, 1 medal EC
Yagudin wins (surprisingly clearly).

2002-2006 Plushenko
Evgeny Plushenko, OG, medaled in every competition, won 16/19 competitions; major wins OG, 2 WC, 2 GPF, 2 EC, 1 medal GPF, 1 medal EC
Stephane Lambiel, OS, medaled in 9/15 competitions, won 5/15 competitions; major wins 2 WC, GPF, medal OG, 1 medal EC
Plushenko wins (easily).

2006-2010 Joubert
Evan Lysacek, OG, medaled in 14/15 competitions (93 %), won 6/15 competitions (40 %); major wins OG, WC, GPF, 4CC, 3 medals GPF, 1 medal 4CC
Brian Joubert, no medal OG, medaled in 14/16 competitions (88 %), won 9/16 competitions (56 %); major wins WC, GPF, 2 EC, 1 medal WC, 2 medals EC
Lysacek wins. (Lambiel was also mentioned for this quad, but Takahashi is third and Lambiel only fourth.)

2010-2014 Hanyu
Yuzuru Hanyu, OG, medaled in 15/20 competitions, wins 8/20 competitions; major wins OG, WC, GPF, 1 medal WC, 2 medals 4CC
Patrick Chan, OS, medaled in every competition, wins 12/17 competitions; major wins 3 WC, 2 GPF, 4CC, medal OG, 2 medals GPF
Patrick Chan wins (and pretty clearly, too).

2014-2018 Hanyu
Yuzuru Hanyu, OG, medaled in 17/18 competitions, won 9/18 competitions; major wins OG, WC, 3 GPF, 2 medals WC, 1 medal 4CC
Shoma Uno, OS, medaled in 19/23 competitions, won 8/23 competitions; major wins none, 2 medals WC, 3 medals GPF, 2 medals 4CC
Javier Fernández, OB, medaled in 16/19 competitions, won 13/19 competitions; major wins 2 WC, 4 EC, 2 medals GPF
Hanyu wins (but not as overwhelmingly as some might like to think).

So, looking at the whole 4 years and all the results gives slightly different names from the OPs list. Some are tight, like Boitano/Orser, Petrenko/Browning, but very few have gotten such domination as Hamilton, Yagudin and Plushenko. Hamilton and Plushenko really did not have good competition, but that Yagudin managed what he did against Plushenko, is pretty formidable.

I still cannot understand how people can suggest that 2010-4 was Hanyu’s when it was all Chan’s – he basically lost 2 significant competitions in those 4 years (2013 GPF and 2014 OG). That Hanyu won those competitions and the 2014 WC does not really make him the best in those 4 years.

E

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
And the same for ladies.

1976-1980 Poetzsch
Anette Poetzsch, OG, medaled in every competition, won 10/12 competitions; major wins OG, 2 WC, 4 EC, 2 medals WC
Poetzsch wins (there was no competition).

1980-1984 Witt
Katarina Witt, OG, medaled in 12/15 competitions, won 9/15 competitions; major wins OG, WC, 2EC, 1 medal WC, 1 medal EC
Witt wins (there was no competition).

1984-1988 Witt
Katarina Witt, OG, medaled in every competition, won 10/11 competitions; major wins OG, 3 WC, 4 EC, 1 medal WC
Witt wins (there was no competition).

1988-1992 Ito
Kristi Yamaguchi, OG, medaled in 12/14 competitions, won 7/14 competitions; major wins OG, 2 WC
Midori Ito, OS, medaled in 10/11 competitions, won 6/11 competitions; major wins WC, medal OG, 1 medal WC
Yamaguchi wins (more wins and won more mutual competitions).

1992-1994 Yamaguchi (who did not compete eligible?)
Oksana Baiul, OG, medaled in 6/8 competitions, won 3/8 competitions; major wins OG, WC, 2 medals EC
Baiul wins (Bonaly gets close, but no wins in WC or OG unlike Baiul).

1994-1998 Lipinski
Tara Lipinski, OG, medaled in 9/11 competitions, won 4/11 competitions; major wins OG, WC, 2 GPF
Michelle Kwan, OS, medaled in 16/17 competitions, won 11/17 competitions; major wins 2 WC, GPF, medal OG, 1 medal WC, 1 medal GPF
This is tough – Lipinski has more wins and beats Kwan in mutual competitions, but has lower overall rates in both medaling and winning competitions. I would give this to Kwan because of the latter.

1998-2002 Slutskaya
Sarah Hughes, OG, medaled in 12/15 competitions, won 3/15 competitions; major wins OG, 1 medal WC, 2 medal GPF
Irina Slutskaya, OS, medaled in every competition, won 12/23 competitions; major wins WC, 3 GPF, 2 EC, medal OG, 2 medals WC, 1 medal GPF, 1 medal EC
Slutskaya wins (easily).

2002-2006 Cohen
Shizuka Arakawa, OG, medaled in 15/19 competitions, won 5/19 competitions; major wins OG, WC, 2 medals GPF, 1 medal 4CC
Sasha Cohen, OS, medaled in 13/14 competitions, won 6/14 competitions; major wins GPF, medal OG, 3 medals WC, 1 medal GPF
Irina Slutskaya, OB, medaled in 13/14 competitions, won 9/14 competitions; major wins WC, GPF, 3 EC, medal OG, 2 medals GPF
Slutskaya wins (again, and fairly easily).

2006-2010 Kim
Yu Na Kim, OG, medaled in every competition, won 13/18 competitions; major wins OG, WC, 3 GPF, 4CC, 3 medals WC, 1 medal GPF
Mao Asada, OS, medaled in 17/19 competitions, won 9/19 competitions; major wins 2 WC, GPF, 2 4CC, medal OG, 1 medal WC, 2 medals GPF, 1 medal 4CC
Kim wins (and easily).

2010-2014 Kim
Adelina Sotnikova, OG, medaled in 10/13 competitions, won 2/13 competitions; major wins OG, 2 medals EC
Yu Na Kim, OS, medaled in every competition, won 3/5 competitions; major wins 1 WC, medal OG, 1 medal WC
Carolina Kostner, OB, medaled in 21/22 competitions, won 10/22 competitions; major wins WC, GPF, 2 EC, medal OG, 3 medals WC, 1 medal GPF, 2 medals EC
Mao Asada, no OG medal, medaled in 13/18 competitions, won 9/18 competitions; major wins WC, 2 GPF, 4CC, 1 medal WC, 2 medals 4CC
Kostner wins (most wins, most medals).

2014-2018 Medvedeva
Alina Zagitova, OG, medaled in 6/7 competitions, won 6/7 competitions; major wins OG, GPF, EC
Evgenia Medvedeva, OS, medaled in every competition, won 13/16 competitions; major wins 2 WC, 2 GPF, 2 EC, medal OG, 1 medal WC, 1 medal EC
Medvedeva wins.

Yamaguchi for 1992-4 was surely some sort of error, but it would be interesting to know who the OP was thinking for that season. Lipinski/Kwan is by far the most problematic period of time and the outcome depends a bit of what part of the results gets emphasized. Don't understand Cohen for 2002-6 when Slutskaya was so strong. 2010-4 was problematic also in ladies, but Kostner comes out on top with massive number of medals of all kinds.

E