Did you get full custom boots that didn't work for you? | Golden Skate

Did you get full custom boots that didn't work for you?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
And most importantly, were you fitted in person at the factory?

I have ongoing issues...at 2.5 months in, my skates still hurt whenever I'm on the ice (just not the intense sole pain I had initially), especially whenever I'm on only one foot. While I am overweight, I'm skeptical that it's only due to that, because I know there are other skaters who are heavier than me.

I will give it a few more months, but I'm beginning to think that my skates (Jackson semi custom, very experienced local fitter) are maybe just not right for me. It has occurred to me that they shouldn't still be hurting. I hear these comments about people who have super comfortable skates, and I get envious.

I'm already thinking that I really need to get full custom, but it also seems like it's really only worth it if you can get a fitting in person at the factory. I'm thinking of Harlicks because it's a relatively easy flight from where I live.

I know some people have had custom boots they had problems with; but I don't know how often they were fitted locally and how often they actually went to the factory. Need your stories!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
And most importantly, were you fitted in person at the factory?

I have ongoing issues...at 2.5 months in, my skates still hurt whenever I'm on the ice (just not the intense sole pain I had initially), especially whenever I'm on only one foot. While I am overweight, I'm skeptical that it's only due to that, because I know there are other skaters who are heavier than me.

I will give it a few more months, but I'm beginning to think that my skates (Jackson semi custom, very experienced local fitter) are maybe just not right for me. It has occurred to me that they shouldn't still be hurting. I hear these comments about people who have super comfortable skates, and I get envious.

I'm already thinking that I really need to get full custom, but it also seems like it's really only worth it if you can get a fitting in person at the factory. I'm thinking of Harlicks because it's a relatively easy flight from where I live.

I know some people have had custom boots they had problems with; but I don't know how often they were fitted locally and how often they actually went to the factory. Need your stories!

My first pair of customs, no I didn't go to the factory, my boot fitter and tech at the time did them. They had to do a cast of my foot and everything (this was a few decades ago). As I progressed I would go to the factory in Canada. Now, if I need anything they come to me if I need or I can always go there.

Your tech might have gotten an incorrect measurement or something that could have contributed or you just might have a foot that requires a fully custom boot.

Good luck!

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Actually finally posted on Jackson’s FB page tonight to see if they can help. I was measured (and supposedly ordered) a 6 EE. Semi custom order, remember. The sticker on the boot says 6 E, and my fitter told me it was normal because of how the extra wides are made, now I’m thinking a mistake was made somewhere. Until now, I’ve been chalking it up to breaking them in, a size too narrow would explain things. I’ll see what they say.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Actually finally posted on Jackson’s FB page tonight to see if they can help. I was measured (and supposedly ordered) a 6 EE. Semi custom order, remember. The sticker on the boot says 6 E, and my fitter told me it was normal because of how the extra wides are made, now I’m thinking a mistake was made somewhere. Until now, I’ve been chalking it up to breaking them in, a size too narrow would explain things. I’ll see what they say.

Mine are Jackson. That definitely sounds like an error was made with the width somewhere in the process.

Nimyue

On the Ice
I had fully custom Harlicks that I sent back.

They were fit by a fitter not Harlick, but my fitter is very well known and highly recommended. In fact, Harlick recommended him to one of the coaches at my rink. In fairness, the issue was one that I can't imagine could be foreseen completely. I had worn Jacksons before which have a high toe box. When I had my harlicks, the lower toe box pressed the ball of my foot down and I had incredible nerve pain in my feet. So, I'm a bit miffed because they knew I came from Jacksons and liked the toe room, so I feel like they should have given me a tall toe box. But, of course, now I could order some custom Harlicks and know that I need the tall toe box.

So now I have fully custom Jacksons. Toe issue is totally gone. HOWEVER, now I'm growing the pump bump which I didn't have in my Jackson Fusion boots or the Harlicks, so I'm having my fitter redo the padding in the boot and see if that works. If it doesn't, I'm back to needing another freaking boot.

Sigh... one of these days I'll find the perfect boot for my feet. I'm hoping I can make a competition that Harlick goes to so I can talk with them about all my many issues.........