Risport Sighting in the Wild! | Golden Skate

Risport Sighting in the Wild!

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hi All,

I've commented before that at our rink I'd never seen a Risport. Well, a couple of days ago I thought I saw one of our better skaters wearing new boots. Sure enough on our way out this morning she came off to talk to her mother and I saw her boot. I didn't catch the model, but her mother says she loves them (and had just landed a 3F in them). Was previously in Riedells. She also said they were for narrower feet (as were the Riedells). I did some searching and see some contrary remarks on that. Do they work for skaters with wider feet as well (double combo, actually)? Mine's still a Jackson girl, but she's also a "shoe girl" and would always like options. They were lovely boots, so Italian. The website is cr@& though, reminded me of Italian cars, lovely but not often functional.

Update: Turns out they bought them online. Her father is their boot tech, he sharpens the blades and punches her boots. She loves them.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi All,

I've commented before that at our rink I'd never seen a Risport. Well, a couple of days ago I thought I saw one of our better skaters wearing new boots. Sure enough on our way out this morning she came off to talk to her mother and I saw her boot. I didn't catch the model, but her mother says she loves them (and had just landed a 3F in them). Was previously in Riedells. She also said they were for narrower feet (as were the Riedells). I did some searching and see some contrary remarks on that. Do they work for skaters with wider feet as well (double combo, actually)? Mine's still a Jackson girl, but she's also a "shoe girl" and would always like options. They were lovely boots, so Italian. The website is cr@& though, reminded me of Italian cars, lovely but not often functional.

I have a wider toebox than heel and I wear my Risport dance boots just fine. ;) I couldn't wear Harlicks at all and wore Riedell for a short time with pain which prompted me a long time ago to move to Risport. Love them. :agree:

Other pros I know that wear them do not have narrow feet either and they love theirs.

Ailera

Rinkside
I have Risport Royal Pros and I love them! I don't have narrow feet (I'd say they're just average) but I do have flatter arches and my Risports fit them very well

Sibelius

On the Ice
I had a conversation at Sp-Teri yesterday about them. They said they are really stiff boots, ala Edea and newer Jackson Debut and Premiere Fusion models. I don't know if it's a generational thing, or a competitor thing, probably both, but they are not fans of the trend towards really stiff boots for smaller skaters. They are recommending that my skater stay in her current Jackson Debuts another year, and Jackson now rates them (for her weight) through doubles, so it's hard to argue with them. She is not happy about it and I'm not sure what to do.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm going to say this. The leather boots are stiffer than the new style Jackson boots. My old school all leather Jackson custom freestyle skates are stiff stiff. I hate their new boots and I have no idea how anyone feels confident in them, but if one has never worn boots like many of us came up the ranks in, then it makes sense.

IDK what SP Teri is trying to convey but all the Risports now are NOT really stiff. They have some fusion like models that may work for your skater. It's not just for narrow feet and I know a PP has said they have flatter arches, but I have very high arches and they work for me.

You don't know unless you try them on and see what can work. :yes:

ETA: I forgot to mention. They are making many of the Risport with lightweight materials now. Many of them are AA-B-C widths for the stock boots. I used to wear the Royal Elite for Freestyle until I switched back to Jackson customs (just because I wanted to go back to Jackson for the custom feel due to some ankle issues of my own wear and tear), there was nothing wrong with the Royal Elite and I'd gladly wear another pair). I currently wear their Dance Elite for my dance boot and love them.

Sibelius

On the Ice
I'm going to say this. The leather boots are stiffer than the new style Jackson boots. My old school all leather Jackson custom freestyle skates are stiff stiff. I hate their new boots and I have no idea how anyone feels confident in them, but if one has never worn boots like many of us came up the ranks in, then it makes sense.

IDK what SP Teri is trying to convey but all the Risports now are NOT really stiff. They have some fusion like models that may work for your skater. It's not just for narrow feet and I know a PP has said they have flatter arches, but I have very high arches and they work for me.

You don't know unless you try them on and see what can work. :yes:

ETA: I forgot to mention. They are making many of the Risport with lightweight materials now. Many of them are AA-B-C widths for the stock boots. I used to wear the Royal Elite for Freestyle until I switched back to Jackson customs (just because I wanted to go back to Jackson for the custom feel due to some ankle issues of my own wear and tear), there was nothing wrong with the Royal Elite and I'd gladly wear another pair). I currently wear their Dance Elite for my dance boot and love them.

When we first visited last year the recommendation for her if we chose Sp-Teri's was the leather option since she was used to a stiffer boot already and their micro fiber boot for her level wouldn't be equivalent. She didn't like it because it was so much heavier. That's what most want now it seems, regardless of stiffness.

No Risport dealers around here so I'll see where the skater who's got them was fitted. SoCal is my guess, there are a couple of dealers down there from what I can gather. That's just a plane ride away for us, so no big deal if it's worth it for her to try them. I keep saying if I had ALL THE MONEY I'd just get her used to the (softened for now) Elite's and be done.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
When we first visited last year the recommendation for her if we chose Sp-Teri's was the leather option since she was used to a stiffer boot already and their micro fiber boot for her level wouldn't be equivalent. She didn't like it because it was so much heavier. That's what most want now it seems, regardless of stiffness.

No Risport dealers around here so I'll see where the skater who's got them was fitted. SoCal is my guess, there are a couple of dealers down there from what I can gather. That's just a plane ride away for us, so no big deal if it's worth it for her to try them. I keep saying if I had ALL THE MONEY I'd just get her used to the (softened for now) Elite's and be done.

She may like the Risport then. They are making many of their boots leather but lighter than the older leather boots like I competed in (and some days I actually miss that lol). IDK of anyone in So Cal that deals with them (if they do let me know please), the ones I know of dealing with the ice boots are in New England and Ontario. There is one in South Florida but they are mostly if not solely roller. The Risport leather that I wore in the freestyle skates were lighter than my Jackson boots.

Let me know how it goes.

ETA: If you do go to So Cal. Have you tried Graf for her? That is what many wear (Evan Lysacek did, Ashley Wagner does among others), I had tried them in the past and they weren't bad, they just weren't for me past 3T.

Ykai

On the Ice
I had a conversation at Sp-Teri yesterday about them. They said they are really stiff boots, ala Edea and newer Jackson Debut and Premiere Fusion models. I don't know if it's a generational thing, or a competitor thing, probably both, but they are not fans of the trend towards really stiff boots for smaller skaters. They are recommending that my skater stay in her current Jackson Debuts another year, and Jackson now rates them (for her weight) through doubles, so it's hard to argue with them. She is not happy about it and I'm not sure what to do.

Hi, do you have a link to the recommendation. I am curious to see how weight affects the choice of boots. Thank you.