Utana Yoshida & Shingo Nishiyama | Golden Skate

Utana Yoshida & Shingo Nishiyama

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Utana Yoshida (吉田唄菜), born 6 September 2003 in Kurashiki City, Japan, and Shingo Nishiyama (西山 真瑚), born 24 January 2001 in Tokyo, Japan, are an ice dance team, formed in 2019, representing Japan. They are skating as juniors in the 2019-20 season. Utana had previously skated with Takumi Sugiyama, and Shingo had previously skated in the men's single discipline, and still competes in men's singles.

Utana and Shingo are the 2020 Japanese Junior Champions and the 2020 Winter Youth Olympics champions in the team event.

The team trains at the Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club, with coaches A. Hallam, T. Wilson, J. Russell, and R. Arikawa.

ISU Pages:

Utana and Shingo's ISU biography page

Utana's Wikipedia page.

Shingo's Wikipedia page

Utana's ISU bio page with her previous partner

Shingo's ISU bio page as a singles skater

Utana's Rinkresults profile

Shingo's Rinkresults page, showing both dance and singles

Social Media:

Utana Yoshida's Instagram Account

Shingo Nishiyama's Instagram account

The team's Instagram account

​Last Update1 August 2020

​ISU Personal Best Scores
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs_pb_00107893.htm

Personal Best Total Score149.61ISU World Junior Championships 2020
Personal Best Score Short Program56.43ISU JGP Lake Placid 2019
Personal Best Score Free Skating99.21Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020

Programs and Videos​
:

2019-2020 Season
RD: Charleston: One (from "A Chorus Line") by Marvin Hamlisch; Foxtrot: I Can Do That (from "A Chorus Line") by Marvin Hamlisch; Medley (from "A Chorus Line") by Marvin Hamlisch; choreo by Aaron Lowe (RD)
FD: Entree of Basil (from "Don Quixote") by Leon Minkus; Pas de Deux (from "Don Quixote") by Leon Minkus; choreo by Romain Haguenauer (FD)
Videos!

ISU World Junior Championships 2020
2020 Bavarian Open
2020 Winter Youth Olympic Games, Lausanne
2019 Junior Grand Prix Egna-Neumarkt, Italy
2019 Junior Grand Prix Lake Placid, New York
2019 Minto Summer Skate

Competitive History​

CompetitionRDFDFinal
Season 2019-2020
2020 World Junior Championships 13 (56.05)8 (93.56)12 (149.61)
2020 Bavarian Open6 (56.36)6 (86.32)6 (142.68)
2020 Youth Olympic Winter Games6 (56.38)4 (92.32)6 (148.70)
2020 Youth Olympic Games NOC Team Event (Team Courage)-1 (99.21)1 (Team)
Japan Junior Championships 20191 (57.49)1 (90.06)1 (147.55)
Western Section Championships 2019 1 (59.06)1 (91.30)1 (150.36)
2019 JGP Egna-Neumarkt7 (54.92)6 (85.48)6 (140.40)
2019 JGP Lake Placid6 (56.43)5 (83.32)6 (139.75)
2019 Minto Summer Skate4 (53.43)5 (85.55)4 (138.98)

Galas and Exhibitions

2019 Japanese Nationals EX - "A Chorus Line"
https://youtu.be/fPzjDGgzXyE

I knew about Shingo's charm and presence as a singles skater. See this article regarding Shingo's training at TCC as a singles skater:

and Utana seems a perfect partner in those areas.

Thanks to everyone who helped supply info for this OP.:clap:

Go Utana and Shingo!:hap10:

Last edited by a moderator:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's nice to have a Japanese dance team where you don't have to worry about citizenship issues. They've got tons of potential, and I really like the free program, especially.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's nice to have a Japanese dance team where you don't have to worry about citizenship issues. They've got tons of potential, and I really like the free program, especially.

thank you for uploading the free.:clap:

I just love teams with presence and flair, and I was truly taken by these two. They look like they are having a good time on the ice, and want us to have a good time too, and that is a rare trait to me for such a new couple:agree:

Of course, now that I started this, I have no idea where to find the biographical info, as they do not appear to have an ISU page. So if anyone sees it in passing, please let us know:pray:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I posted their programs and scores in the Japanese Ice Dance Fan Fest, if you want to copy it from their. I'll link this page there now.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I posted their programs and scores in the Japanese Ice Dance Fan Fest, if you want to copy it from their. I'll link this page there now.

I already put Minto the programs in the OP, and I will copy the scores. Didn't know about the ID Fan Fest before I started this, but what the heck, Utana and Shingo can't have too much love:)

I was looking for something like the ISU page for each skater that would have birthdays, hometowns, all the good stuff we put into Fan Fests. It might help if I understood one word of Japanese.:laugh:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Here's a summary of previous results for Utana with her former partner Takumi Sugiyamar: https://deep-edge.net/wsd.php?id=102359

The (former) ice dance couple looked quite promising in 2016. They won the Mentor Cup AdvA ice dance in 2017. It was expected that they would move on to compete in JGP during 17-18 season. But the couple split right before the season started and the reason was unknown.

So far I can't find Utana's birthplace. But she's under Okayama skating club in Japan.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
They're listed for the Junior Rhythm Dance at the North York Summer Skate tomorrow!

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here's an interview from 2018 with Shingo Nishiyama about training at the Cricket Club that may be a good addition to the OP:

Shingo Nishiyama thrives at the Cricket Club

What are some of your skating challenges to work on right now?

I have so many issues to compete at the top level. I need to work on my jumps more, and I need to take on the quad someday. But last season I concentrated too much on jumps. As soon as I got to the Cricket club, I thought I had to show something that everyone could recognize. And it could be jumps, so I was kind of obsessed with it. But as I’ve watched so many performances in my spare time, I realized that the most powerful performance for me was by expressive skaters, those who express their emotions and interpret the music nicely. Then I recommitted myself to emphasize my expressiveness more than anything. I know jumps are very, very important, however, I practice jumps because they are necessary and they are my biggest challenge. But I mustn’t be overwhelmed by jumps and miss other important things. What I want to do is to express something through my skating and deliver it to all those who watch it. It is my heart and soul. While accepting this, I need to work on increasing the consistency, but jumps are not my biggest goal.

He doesn't need to work on jumps any more but the rest of his answer shows that ice dancing is a perfect choice for him.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's go Utashin at North York Summer Skate:hap10:

I am hoping that there are videos, I would love to see those programs as they develop. And thanks @Katmari for the link to the article on Shingo, it's where I first learned about him and his charm:)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Utana and Shingo are in 6th place after the RD, and not that far out of 5th:clap: Frankly, I think 56.43 is a tad low for what they put on the ice, but thrilled that they showed what they can do.

Also, charming viewers who are watching them for the first time. :yes: Here it is, A Chorus Line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL6JmbzXMrM

Go Utashin in the FD!:hap10:

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
They are elegant and fun ... with Muramoto & Reed retired last year, they have big shoes to fill but the skills and potential are more than up to the task. Look forward to their FD!!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well once again Utashin charmed everybody. :luv17:

Fifth in the Free Dance, and sixth overall, less than one point out of fifth. What great results for such a new team:agree:

Here is the Free Dance from Lake Placid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DObGEghQgrE

(And I am glad that Utana ditched the tutu for this more elegant dress:yes:)

Roast Toast

Medalist
They caught my eye this event as well. Charming team and what looks like proper accommodations made for their success with a power coaching team and choreographer. I can't wait to see what JSF is able to do with this team in the future :)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Their interview with Ted at JGP Lake Placid: https://youtu.be/6egkS4poFp8

Thanks.

They are so cute, and poor Ted, I think he needed a translator. (Since my Japanese is non existent, all praise to Shingo for his English, but they were talking a little at cross purposes.)

I wonder how much Utana actually understood:)

And the JSF is a *great* matchmaker:agree:

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Bravo to Utana & Shingo for such a brilliant beginning to their ice dance career. When watching pair / ice dance programs my eyes tend to focus more on one of the skaters but these two equally caught and held my attention throughout both programs. I am so looking forward to watching them grow and develop.