Confidence in Your Boots? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Confidence in Your Boots?

VegMom

On the Ice
The way I view sports equipment is the same way I view art supplies, they are not rewards. Or even gifts, really. They are simply tools for learning and growing. We all know that it's easier to go farther faster with better tools. Kids who are deprived of good supplies struggle to make their dreams come true.

So, the issue is simply if we can afford it or not. And that, of course, is a matter of priorities. Except in circumstances of serious poverty, we all afford the things we prioritize. I see some parents at the rinks complaining about not being able to afford new skates and then they drive off in expensive cars wearing designer clothes and taking expensive vacations... It's all just about priorities.

For us, those priorities are influenced by how much passion my skater has for the sport. I'm not going to drop thousands of dollars on musical instruments that he hasn't shown much interest in using. But if he's asking for new skates then I take him very seriously. He's waking me up early in the mornings during the Summer demanding that I drive him to the rink - his passion is very serious.

If I were you I would get the skates my skater wants and just see how things go. You never know how much potential they have until they feel free to unlock it.