Programs/Costumes inspired by other skaters | Golden Skate

Programs/Costumes inspired by other skaters

Lambari

Final Flight
There's several programs and/or costumes inspired by other skaters, from novice to seniors. This thread is an attempt to compile most of them, please contribute if you remember any. I'll start with a few:

Yuna Kim's Scheherazade inspired by Michelle Kwan's.

Yuna Kim's Adios Nonino inspired by Jeffrey Buttle's.

Jeffrey Buttle in his first year senior skated to a program inspired by Kwan's 1997-1998 Piano concerto Nº 3 by Rachmaninoff, can't find the video of his program.

Yuzuru Hanyu's Otonal inspired by Johnny Weir's

Yuzuru Hanyu's Origin inspired by Plushenko's Tribute to Nijinsky

Sui/Han's Turandot inspired by Shen/Zhao's.

Boyang Jin's Tango Amore inspired by Plushenko's. (I'm not sure if it's confirmed but they did this performance together and Boyang mentioned before being a fan of his).

From novice/juniors (mostly unconfirmed, some included because the skater mentioned being a fan, others because of having a very similar construction):

June Hyoung Lee's Phantom Of The Opera inspired by Patrick Chan's.

Cha Junhwan's Danse Macabre inspired by Yuna's.

Vsevolod Usoltsev/Elizaveta Medvedeva's SEIMEI inspired by Yuzuru's.

Adrien Tesson's R&J inspired by Yuzuru's

I did a list for the Yuzuru ones a while ago but I stopped keeping track of it.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Ting Cui - Yuna Kim's tango de Roxanne dress
https://youtu.be/-QKazv0wW2Q
https://youtu.be/WSsvwcEdRC4

Moa Iwano - Yulia Lipnitskaia's 2013-2014 SP dress
https://youtu.be/3gf_V2tL5nE
https://youtu.be/gpapIAtg5vw

Moa Iwano - Yuna Kim's 2013-2014 SP dress
https://youtu.be/FKUlPLYQtb0
https://youtu.be/K23m2QUOHvY

Hinano Isobe - Shizuka Arakawa's Turandot dress
https://youtu.be/vdWoMQ74iFI
https://youtu.be/jJ9EaMEk74g

Riko Takino - Satoko Miyahara's firedance dress
https://youtu.be/OU6RfpCR9Lw
https://youtu.be/NrjW3PSTutM

Ziotic

Medalist
A ton of Lil Beth’s stuff is Yuna inspired.

She has almost a replica of the Gershwin dress and has skated to several of her programs music. Including this years Dance Macabre

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
A ton of Lil Beth’s stuff is Yuna inspired.

She has almost a replica of the Gershwin dress and has skated to several of her programs music. Including this years Dance Macabre

With due respect to Yuna‘s wonderful Danse Macabre, this music has been used before Yuna and after Yuna tons of times :) so did Papa can you hear me.
So I wouldn’t call it using Yuna‘s programs music, when music essentially is used by many skaters over a long period of time, Yuna was just one of them.
Danse Macabre can very well be inspired by Denis Ten, or no one at all, and just be a piece of music someone chose for their own reasons.

The dress is definitely inspired by Yuna, and Elizabet as far as I know have stated she’s a big fan of Queen Yuna and she is her skating icon, so no wonder. :)

Ziotic

Medalist
With due respect to Yuna‘s wonderful Danse Macabre, this music has been used before Yuna and after Yuna tons of times :) so did Papa can you hear me.
So I wouldn’t call it using Yuna‘s programs music, when music essentially is used by many skaters over a long period of time, Yuna was just one of them.
Danse Macabre can very well be inspired by Denis Ten, or no one at all, and just be a piece of music someone chose for their own reasons.

The dress is definitely inspired by Yuna, and Elizabet as far as I know have stated she’s a big fan of Queen Yuna and she is her skating icon, so no wonder. :)

While a ton of skaters have skated to those pieces, since Lil Beth has stated several times what a huge fan she is I’m sure Yuna was inspiration as were others for Yuna herself!

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
While a ton of skaters have skated to those pieces, since Lil Beth has stated several times what a huge fan she is I’m sure Yuna was inspiration as were others for Yuna herself!
I can imagine if being the case under Brian, since she was responsible for her music choices and costumes herself, and I can imagine her looking through programs of her idol Yuna and getting inspired by her.
I don’t think that’s the case anymore, since in her new coaching environment I believe the choices are made or advised by coaches.
It can however be a mutual decision by the team and her.
Still, I doubt Danse Macabre should exclusively be attributed to Yuna as a music choice, Elizabeth’s compatriot skated to this music wonderfully as well and it can very much be inspired by Denis Ten :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can imagine if being the case under Brian, since she was responsible for her music choices and costumes herself, and I can imagine her looking through programs of her idol Yuna and getting inspired by her.
I don’t think that’s the case anymore, since in her new coaching environment I believe the choices are made or advised by coaches.
It can however be a mutual decision by the team and her.
Still, I doubt Danse Macabre should exclusively be attributed to Yuna as a music choice, Elizabeth’s compatriot skated to this music wonderfully as well and it can very much be inspired by Denis Ten :)

This is a little OT, bur can you give me a citation to where LilBet under Brian was responsible for choosing her music and costume herself?

That seems odd to me, as if Jason Brown were responsible for picking music all by his lonesome, he would not have been skating to Simon & Garfunkel. :laugh: He did, however, select Love is a B**** showed the choreo to his new team, and all was well:agree:

Other than Peggy Fleming and her mother ;) I can’t think of any skater who selects their own costumes all by their lonesome either. My understanding, again based on Jason, is that the costume designer shows the skater sketches or even samples, the skater says yes, no or maybe, works with the costume designer, and thus a costume.

So, jumping off, it would seem to me the question may be which costume designer is influenced by others?

Lambari

Final Flight
This is a little OT, bur can you give me a citation to where LilBet under Brian was responsible for choosing her music and costume herself?

That seems odd to me, as if Jason Brown were responsible for picking music all by his lonesome, he would not have been skating to Simon & Garfunkel. :laugh: He did, however, select Love is a B**** showed the choreo to his new team, and all was well:agree:

Other than Peggy Fleming and her mother ;) I can’t think of any skater who selects their own costumes all by their lonesome either. My understanding, again based on Jason, is that the costume designer shows the skater sketches or even samples, the skater says yes, no or maybe, works with the costume designer, and thus a costume.

So, jumping off, it would seem to me the question may be which costume designer is influenced by others
?

I agree, sometimes it's the designers, choreographers, coaches, parents, not necessarily the skaters themselves. Skaters who are involved in their costume designs could make requests or just accept the design being offered. The degree of involvement varies, it isn't only one approach. Some of these programs and costumes were confirmed to be inspired by others but some are impossible to know for sure since they aren't well known skaters and/or didn't mention it in any interview. But I still think it's fun to spot the similarities here and there and some are very evident.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree, sometimes it's the designers, choreographers, coaches, parents, not necessarily the skaters themselves. Skaters who are involed in their costume designs could make requests or just accept the design being offered. The degree of involvement varies, it isn't only one approach. Some of these programs and costumes were confirmed to be inspired by others but some are impossible to know for sure since they aren't well known skaters and/or didn't mention it in any interview. But I still think it's fun to spot the similarities here and there and some are very evident.

Oh, I agree it’s an interesting question. And a skater does agree to the costume, and for all we know, may make suggestions based consciously or unconsciously on what they have seen before.

Other than the mandatory red rose for Carmen that all skaters wear:biggrin:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

So, jumping off, it would seem to me the question may be which costume designer is influenced by others?

her mom commented about it several times:
https://m.sports.ru/amp/post/2299603/
They also did an interview at their home where they talk about it in more detail:
https://youtu.be/-0L3t8_gppU
Her dad talked about it as well:
https://ru.kyzylorda-news.kz/interv...eri-tureckom-seriale-i-otsutstvii-kumira.html

But I also remember her mother talking about their difficulties in Canada, and how choosing music and costumes on their own was too much responsibility with an added layer of a language barrier. I’ll google it later, when I’ll have more time :) but you can try using google as well, sure it can help :)

About costumes: I did not say or imply that Elizabeth was a sole designer of her dress from top to bottom. Skaters request certain designs from designers as well, they can have general ideas or opinions on what the costume should look like, as another user pointed out, there are varying degrees of skater‘s involvement.
Given the similarities in two dresses, I assumed that there is a possibility of that happening in that particular case, not necessarily that’s what happened though :)
However, with the music choices, I would say inspirations from Yuna are possible, but again that’s not necessarily the case, as those music choices are quite popular among skaters in general.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
whole post

Thanks for the link.:thumbsup:
If Google translate is believable, (I cannot read or understand Russian) then it is true that the ultimate responsibility rests on the skater, or the skater's parents, for decisions related to programs, music, or costumes. A coach's input is of course sought, but the skater takes responsibility for their choices, it's true.

Then again, if LilBet's mother really thought that any coach, at least in North America, was going to attend to her daughter 24/7 (which is what the translation says) there was a true disconnect.

And to get back to the subject at hand, the coaches I know of again allow the skater freedom of choice (of course within judging parameters) for costumes. The coach isn't designing the costume after all:laugh:

Lambari

Final Flight
Oh, I agree it’s an interesting question. And a skater does agree to the costume, and for all we know, may make suggestions based consciously or unconsciously on what they have seen before.

Other than the mandatory red rose for Carmen that all skaters wear:biggrin:

Yes, it's tricky with warhorses because they have common dresscodes and the program construction tend to be similar like the almost 'mandatory' placement of the step sequence at Rach Nº 2 programs. I included June Hyoung's Phantom for example because besides the costumes being similar he also mentioned before being a big Patrick fan, same with Junhwan and Yuna. And the R&J from Adrien Tesson is evident from music cut, placement of the elements, the step sequence etc. Elena Radionova did a free skate to Rach's Paino Concerto Nº 3 but I didn't find the program too similar to Kwan's and I don't remember her saying that she's a fan of hers (maybe I'm wrong), so I wouldn't consider it 'inspired'.

Hanul Kim's River Flows in You SP costume inspired by Yuna Kim's Someone Like You EX costume

Kim Gunmo's/ Kwun Hung Leung's costume inspired by Yuzuru's R&J 2.0

Hangil Kim / Mark Kondratyuk's costumes inspired by Yuzuru's Phantom Of The Opera costume.

Nina Ouellette's costume inspired by Yuzuru's Hana Ni Narae EX. costume.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few seasons ago (about 3 years ago?), Alexey Krasnofshon's free skate was a tribute to the 1988 Olympic "Battle of the Brians." His costume definitely reflected that (similar to Brian B's)!

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Then again, if LilBet's mother really thought that any coach, at least in North America, was going to attend to her daughter 24/7 (which is what the translation says) there was a true disconnect.
Not to continue OT, but didn't want to leave you with misunderstanding her statement...I don't know if it's worth mentioning, it was a hyperbole. :) She said that to juxtapose with the fact that they didn't get almost any attention and were on their own for their training, choices etc. Getting 20 minutes compared to 45-60 minutes that even Kurakova gets now, is quite disheartening for parents, I can imagine. Maybe however Brian has something to prove with Kurakova now and that's why he's paying attention. Still, her mother's statement doesn't come out of nowhere.
I'm sure Brian manages music and costume choices for his top of the pyramid skaters and is quite involved in managing their careers, for those who are lower in his priority list, it seems like they are more on their own compared to his prioritized skaters.