Is there such a thing as fully custom Risports? | Golden Skate

Is there such a thing as fully custom Risports?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
In my quest for information about the different manufacturers, and who has which features and which are best for me....

I spend my free time googling various things to do with my foot issues, and one thing I've found in a couple of places is that Risports are NOT only for narrow feet. They have a high toe box (and I'm assuming high instep) and very snug, tapered back to the heel. Can't find any mention anywhere of full customs, though.

I know they aren't carried as widely in the US (and I think the factory is in Italy?)

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add....I have very wide feet, (EE in Jackson, and a high instep), there's no way their standard widths would fit me.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't know the answer to your question. But if you're in the US, why would you consider a custom made in Italy (assuming it's available)? It would make sense to limit your choices to US/Canada.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
In my quest for information about the different manufacturers, and who has which features and which are best for me....

I spend my free time googling various things to do with my foot issues, and one thing I've found in a couple of places is that Risports are NOT only for narrow feet. They have a high toe box (and I'm assuming high instep) and very snug, tapered back to the heel. Can't find any mention anywhere of full customs, though.

I know they aren't carried as widely in the US (and I think the factory is in Italy?)

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add....I have very wide feet, (EE in Jackson, and a high instep), there's no way their standard widths would fit me.

Yes, many elite skaters and pros have them (like myself). When Kevin Reynolds competed he went through a phase with his custom Risport that he had to make multiple trips back and forth to the factory in Italy.

It would not be worth it for you to try to get customs of Risport brand. As someone in the US at a lower level it would be more worth it to look into Riedell and their customs if you need a very wide boot with a high instep. I have high arches myself.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
No, not a high arch. That's my main issue, and it's causing considerable problems right now. I need a skate with a LOW arch (another feature I read about Risports). Low arch and a high instep, and a low(er-ish) heel. I don't think Riedell is right for me.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
No, not a high arch. That's my main issue, and it's causing considerable problems right now. I need a skate with a LOW arch (another feature I read about Risports). Low arch and a high instep, and a low(er-ish) heel. I don't think Riedell is right for me.

The high arch comment was regarding Risport and me and my custom boot.

I said to look at Riedell because they would work for you semi custom or custom with what you need for your feet.

IDK of another boot company that could work with what you need (width especially)

Graf, Harlick, SP Teri, Jackson, Riedell, and Avanta are what's left.

Sibelius

On the Ice
The high arch comment was regarding Risport and me and my custom boot.

I said to look at Riedell because they would work for you semi custom or custom with what you need for your feet.

IDK of another boot company that could work with what you need (width especially)

Graf, Harlick, SP Teri (going out of business), Jackson, Riedell, and Avanta are what's left.

FYI, Sp-Teri is not going out of business. George sold to Bill Fauver in Tennessee and they are in the process of moving the mfg. machinery next week (I saw the massive custom pallets yesterday). George is shifting to a pro shop business and will continue to fit and rep the boots (and lower level Riedell and Jacksons) that will now be made by Bill in Nashville. I know this business is a bit delicate, and things can fall apart (Bill had some relationship with Klingbeil after they left NY, before moving out here to become Avanta) but that's the plan at least. I really hope it works out for all.

I know there's someone on this board that went with custom Riedell's and they were very very pleased with the results as I recall. Sounds like the only solution left for the OP is full custom (maybe after a visit to a podiatrist?), and I think they're far better off with a trip to Riedell, or out here to the Bay Area where you can knock out a visit to Harlick, Sp-Teri (for a fitting anyway) or Avanta in a long weekend. Airfare's pretty cheap, sorry hotels aren't, but I'm sure there's somewhere near SFO that's not too bad. If we weren't already located here that's what I would do for sure.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I want to mention that I listed what is left as far as brands from what OP has eliminated and a few of those I would not go with.

Example: Harlick is not going to work for a very wide foot.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I want to mention that I listed what is left as far as brands from what OP has eliminated and a few of those I would not go with.

Example: Harlick is not going to work for a very wide foot.

Not even a full custom in the X-line?

I have actually considered flying to SFO to get an in person fit. I live in AZ so a reasonable flight.

Still wondering about getting a custom fit and order of Risport from somewhere in the US.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I have actually considered flying to SFO to get an in person fit. I live in AZ so a reasonable flight.

Still wondering about getting a custom fit and order of Risport from somewhere in the US.

Let me reiterate what I said in my first post in this thread. You are not going to get a fully custom boot from Risport unless you are high level and go to Italy to get it.
The few shops in New England and Ontario have stock boots.

Sam L

Medalist
Let me reiterate what I said in my first post in this thread. You are not going to get a fully custom boot from Risport unless you are high level and go to Italy to get it.
The few shops in New England and Ontario have stock boots.

That’s what I thought that Risport doesn’t do custom unless if you’re elite. But everyone would custom you if you’re elite right?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That’s what I thought that Risport doesn’t do custom unless if you’re elite. But everyone would custom you if you’re elite right?

It would be silly to get a custom boot from Italy living in the US if you were anything less than high competitive level.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
The way you all are talking, makes it sound like the ONLY way to get custom Risports is to go in person to the factory in Italy. Is that right? It's not true of other manufacturers- it's just the *best* way. I can order full custom Jacksons or Harlicks from my fitter, if I want. You're saying I couldn't have a Risport fitter in the US measure me for customs?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
And I disagree with the notion that custom boots are silly for anyone who's not an elite skater. I've read time and again on skating boards that most older adult skaters need semi or full custom boots to fit properly.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
And I disagree with the notion that custom boots are silly for anyone who's not an elite skater. I've read time and again on skating boards that most older adult skaters need semi or full custom boots to fit properly.

I interpret Ic3Rrabbit's posting that going to Italy for multiple Risport fittings of a custom boot is not cost-effective for us non-elite skaters, living nowhere near Italy (like North America for example.
Now. . if you are located in Italy than that's a different story! Go for it.

She and others have mentioned and recommended boot customizing for non-elite skaters of all ages in many discussions. Sometimes that is what is necessary if your feet necessitate it (like mine). I have custom Harlicks.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice

The X-line is an exciting move away from the tiny toes of previous Harlick models. If you get a full custom from Harlick, especially now that they have the X-line design, I see no reason that they couldn't accommodate a very wide foot. However, a full custom from Harlick might be considerably more expensive than a semi-custom or full custom from a "regular" company like Riedell or Jackson. For what it's worth, I know someone who got EE customs from Jackson and was happy with them... good luck in your quest! The struggle to find the "perfect" boot is all too real.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Yes, I already have semi customs from Jackson (also EE), but I have other issues likely only fixed by getting full custom.

Sibelius

On the Ice
The way you all are talking, makes it sound like the ONLY way to get custom Risports is to go in person to the factory in Italy. Is that right? It's not true of other manufacturers- it's just the *best* way. I can order full custom Jacksons or Harlicks from my fitter, if I want. You're saying I couldn't have a Risport fitter in the US measure me for customs?

Considering how hard it is to find a Risport dealer at all here in the U.S. I think the point is valid. I had hoped to corner the mother of one of our skaters who just started in Risports recently to find out where she got fit, but she disappeared this morning. I see her every morning so if I find out I'll let folks know. I know it wasn't local that's for sure.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
My fitter in Phoenix carries them. I think he might be a proper fitter for Risport (he is for the other brands) customs because I remember a parent left a complaint on Yelp, to which he patiently reminded the guy that his daughter’s skates were being special ordered from Italy, and it would take a while to make. He carries/sells like 8 models, but not all of them.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My fitter in Phoenix carries them. I think he might be a proper fitter for Risport (he is for the other brands) customs because I remember a parent left a complaint on Yelp, to which he patiently reminded the guy that his daughter’s skates were being special ordered from Italy, and it would take a while to make. He carries/sells like 8 models, but not all of them.
Even assuming, for the sake of argument, that you can get the fitting done properly by a US fitter, you need to consider the shipping time back and forth from Italy and the US. Talk carefully to skaters who have had full customs (and read about their experiences on various forums). The boots seldom work right straight from the factory, or with only minor adjustments that can be done by the tech. Here, I'm talking about a skater's first pair of customs from a particular company, not repeat orders. The boots often have to be sent back to the factory at least once. So for Risports that means shipping them back to Italy each time. Perhaps you'll be among the lucky ones who don't need to do that. But you've been struggling with a whole host of foot (and perhaps other) problems and a weight issue, plus you're a beginner who's not sure how a boot should properly fit and who can't tell the fitter what works and what doesn't ... so what's the likelihood of you being among the lucky ones?

There are three companies in the US (not counting SP-Teri at the moment because of their move) and two in Canada that are potential candidates. If at least one of them can't satisfy your needs, what makes you think Risport will, given that you have no experience with them, and given that you can't identify at least one characteristic feature or capability [that will solve your problems] that Risport for sure has and that the North American companies for sure do not have?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
1) who is the other company in Canada you are referring to?

2) good point about having to return to the factory for tweaking.

3) I never said Risport was the only company that could make what I needed.

4) I do have a good idea of what’s causing my issues (flat feet in a high heel/arched footbed, combined with pronation wedges that makes the heel even higher).

5) I posted the question out of curiosity and information seeking, and some of the replies are a bit testy, which I don’t understand. I’m pretty sure full customs are in my future, but not until I’ve experimented more with what I already have.