Is there such a thing as fully custom Risports? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is there such a thing as fully custom Risports?

Sibelius

On the Ice
My fitter in Phoenix carries them. I think he might be a proper fitter for Risport (he is for the other brands) customs because I remember a parent left a complaint on Yelp, to which he patiently reminded the guy that his daughter’s skates were being special ordered from Italy, and it would take a while to make. He carries/sells like 8 models, but not all of them.

Thanks for that info, they're not a much further trip than SoCal for us, so if we're interested I'll look them up.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
1) who is the other company in Canada you are referring to?
There's a new company called Aura; see previous threads here: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?79014&p=2330828#post2330828 and here: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?80515&p=2395749#post2395749. There were posts from a skater who said he tried them and were happy with them. But those posts have vanished for some reason.

Also, once SP-Teri gets up and running again, I would consider them to be a newcomer too: that is, will they be the tried-and-true SP-Teri in a different location, or something else? There were people who had expectations that Avanta would be the tried-and-true Klingbeil in a different location, but their expectations were not met.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
4) I do have a good idea of what’s causing my issues (flat feet in a high heel/arched footbed, combined with pronation wedges that makes the heel even higher).
From your various posts here and elsewhere, I'd say that's your best guess at the moment as to what's wrong, rather than a definitive root cause. I'm comparing this to, say, experienced skaters who've worn a variety of boots and know with a high degree of certainty, e.g., that they need a wider tongue or a higher heel ... definite features they can highlight to the fitter.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My fitter in Phoenix carries them. I think he might be a proper fitter for Risport (he is for the other brands) customs because I remember a parent left a complaint on Yelp, to which he patiently reminded the guy that his daughter’s skates were being special ordered from Italy, and it would take a while to make. He carries/sells like 8 models, but not all of them.

Edea is in Italy as well, so the fitter may have been referring to them.

Also, again, I'm going to reiterate...If KEVIN REYNOLDS (who is in Ontario where there is a Risport Dealer) and other Elite skaters who had problems with their Risport customs had to go back and forth to ITALY each time to get them looked at and fixed, IDK what one is thinking will happen with anyone else. I am lucky that I haven't had many problems with mine.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
And I disagree with the notion that custom boots are silly for anyone who's not an elite skater. I've read time and again on skating boards that most older adult skaters need semi or full custom boots to fit properly.

Also, I never said that fully custom boots are silly for adults or non elites. I actually recommend them from time to time here based on situations. What I said above was that it's silly to go to ITALY for custom boots if you aren't elite when there are a few other brands in the US and Canada that could do customs for you and they would work.

Silver Ice

On the Ice
No, not a high arch. That's my main issue, and it's causing considerable problems right now. I need a skate with a LOW arch (another feature I read about Risports). Low arch and a high instep, and a low(er-ish) heel. I don't think Riedell is right for me.

Riedell doesn't have a high arch or heel. I wear semi-custom Riedell's with a neutral arch support insert; they have a footbed with various inserts and a low-arch insert is included. They also don't have a high heel. I wear an insert to make the heel higher to help keep my heel from slipping.

I don't wear Risports so I can't say this for sure, but I was under the impression that Risport had a higher heel than Jackson or Riedell but lower than Edea.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Maybe see if you can find and try some Graf boots in the L fitting? I have short, wide feet with a high instep and absolutely love them. I have to use an orthotic (high but dropped arches). The heel is fairly low. A friend who has even wider feet than me tried mine on and sighed ecstatically.

FYI, many, many years ago when Risport were the New Boots On The Block, I had the top model and loved them, even with my wide feet. The heel felt incredibly high to start with but I soon adjusted. Nowadays I love my wide-fitting Graf Dance.

If you have your heart set on custom Risport and can afford the trip(s) to Italy, try some stock ones first to see where the issues are. Then, if you still want customs, go to Italy. You're an adult. Your money, your boots, your choice.

Sam L

Medalist
Why don't you just get Risport stock? I know the higher level boots only have up to C width which is not that wide. But the lower levels like the Electra have D width I'm pretty sure.

I'm also curious as to why you want Risport. I got Risport because the shape of the boot especially the tapered toes fit my foot style and the boot also gave me good arch support. Compare this with my previous Jacksons where I felt like my toes were wriggle and move around so much and I had to insert something under the soles to get the arch support.

Nimyue

On the Ice
Riedell doesn't have a high arch or heel. I wear semi-custom Riedell's with a neutral arch support insert; they have a footbed with various inserts and a low-arch insert is included. They also don't have a high heel. I wear an insert to make the heel higher to help keep my heel from slipping.

I don't wear Risports so I can't say this for sure, but I was under the impression that Risport had a higher heel than Jackson or Riedell but lower than Edea.

When you are getting full customs you can specify heel height. So there's no advantage to a custom Risport there.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Graf sounds verrrrry intriguing and the pictures do look like they have lower heels. Of course if they're all the same, if you're getting a full custom, then it doesn't matter. But if I can get away with a semi custom, it's a lot cheaper.

I'd love to just try a bit of everything, but with my width (EE), there are no stock boots to just try on.