Russia’s Dmitri Aliev refreshed heading into new season | Golden Skate

Russia’s Dmitri Aliev refreshed heading into new season

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The post-Olympic season was a tough one for Russia's Dmitri Aliev, who finished seventh at the games in PyeongChang in the men's figure skating discipline. Coming off a high with a silver at the 2018 Europeans and a seventh-place finish at the 2018 World Championships, the young Russian skater struggled last season.

More...

Coach Rukavitsin is feeling optimistic about the upcoming season.

“First of all, I see the light in his eyes and the desire,” he observed. “This kind of desire that I saw in the Olympic season. Therefore, I really hope that we’ll overcome that black streak or rather have overcome it already.”
Looking forward to seeing the new Short! I love Disturbed's version of "Sound of Silence"! Here's wishing him luck at Skate America and Rostelecom Cup! :dance:

Last edited:
Very interesting about working so hard to peak for the Olympic season, then having to struggle to get his head together the next year. I think a lot of sports are like that. The athlete paces his training for a crescendo at the big show, then there is inevitable let down, if not exhaustion.

It sounds like he is committed to his two music choices. I look forward to watching the development of the artistic side of his skating.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was also interested to learn how Dima chose the music for his free, after trying something more "dancey" originally. That version of the Sound of Silence certainly resonates for many skaters!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I started listening to Disturbed in the late 90s....:slink:

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I liked his process for picking the short program.

The Short Program was a mutual decision as Aliev enjoyed the musical. He had actually watched the Mozart, l’opéra rock on Youtube numerous times.

“This song plays when he (Mozart) hits the bottom and it is about roses,” the national bronze medalist elaborated. “The theme, the spirit, suits me. There is pain and an eruption (of emotions), and in the end, there is this strong part where you can give it your all in the step sequence and I think it will look very good.”

It seemed to match the journey he has been on in the last year, recovering from his post Olympic slump.

I hope he will have a good season!!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
It was such a pity he "bombed" last season, with two beautiful programs which were perfect for him :sad21: Good to see him high in spirit and back in his fighting form. I am somewhat dubious in the choice of the SP music, I am generally not a fan of this kind of material but I did love Vanessa & Morgan's Sound of Silence. Dima is growing into truly fine, expressive an artist on ice, I should trust him to come up with something special. Perhaps I will take a trip to Bergamo next month to take a look! :luv17:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
It was such a pity he "bombed" last season, with two beautiful programs which were perfect for him :sad21: Good to see him high in spirit and back in his fighting form. I am somewhat dubious in the choice of the SP music, I am generally not a fan of this kind of material but I did love Vanessa & Morgan's Sound of Silence. Dima is growing into truly fine, expressive an artist on ice, I should trust him to come up with something special. Perhaps I will take a trip to Bergamo next month to take a look! :luv17:

I agree. He's a lovely skater when he's on (just like Kolyada whom I also love to watch), and I sincerely hope he will do better this season.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I started listening to Disturbed in the late 90s....:slink:

Maybe I’ve been living under a rock, lol, but I hadn’t previously been aware of Disturbed. I just listened to their cover of Sounds of Silence — WOW, what a powerful take on the original. I’m really looking forward to Dmitri’s program to it!