Risport Rf3 pro vs Royal pro | Golden Skate

Risport Rf3 pro vs Royal pro

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I know there have been many threads about Risport recently... I'm wondering what the main differences are between the RF3 Pro and the Royal Pro. Are they built on different lasts? I can see that the RF3 has a flex notch and the Royal doesn't, and I can see that they are 60 vs 65 stiffness respectively. RF3 has leather upper as versus microfiber upper, etc. But what are the structural differences between them? Are they shaped differently inside? I've gotten the chance to wear the Risport Elite Dance, which seems to be similar to the Royal, but I don't know if the Royal Pro would feel the same on my foot as the Elite Dance does. (Obviously the Dance boot has a flex notch and a very low backstay.) My inclination would be to get the Royal because, at least externally, it is similar to the Elite Dance (and they're both 65 stiffness), but I also really like flex notches and thus I wonder if the RF3 would be better...

I should also add that I know the Elite Dance only comes in a C width, so if I were to go with either Royal or RF3, I'd be sure to get the C width. My poor feet couldn't stand anything narrower!

Elija

On the Ice
Yes I have been wondering this too - or more broadly the differences between the RFand royal lines

petitebrie

On the Ice
Note: I haven't skated in either the RF3 or the Royal Pro, but I've tried on both. My skates are an older generation Risport boot.

In very broad strokes, the Royal is "softer" and the RF line is "stiffer". Not as in the rated stiffness of the boot, which varies, but in the way Edea compares to Jackson or Riedell. It didn't feel like there was a big difference in the shape of the last, but the Royal has a lot of cushioning around the ankle, giving you more movement back and forth. They are also very light. If you like the feel of Edeas, but they don't fit your foot shape, you might like the Royal. If you prefer a stiffer, more "classic" style boot, the RF line is probably more appropriate.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've worn Royal Elite boots and they're great and stiff enough (90 rating). I like a stiffer boot if that helps. I wear Jackson customs now but would gladly go back to Risport for my freestyle boot if I needed to.

The RF line wasn't stiff enough for me and I hated the feel of them.

I also wear Ripsort Dance elite for my ice dance boot on the regular.

Elija

On the Ice
Interesting. You both seems to have different feelings about them. As usual i guess you just have to try them on and see what feels right. I wish I could try some on, but there’s nowhere here that sells them anymore, the two dealers in my country primarily stock edea. I had risport as my first skates 15 years ago, really entry level ones that it turns out were two sizes too big, but were solid as a rock and held up for years.

Sam L

Medalist
I use the RF3 pro, it said that the RF line is for jumps and the Royal line for those with good skating skills. I do love my RF3, love the classic but light feel. I’m working on all single jumps. Let me know if you want to know more.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I use the RF3 pro, it said that the RF line is for jumps and the Royal line for those with good skating skills. I do love my RF3, love the classic but light feel. I’m working on all single jumps. Let me know if you want to know more.

Depends on which particular boot in the Royal line you are referring to. I'm a jumper triple triples esp when I had my Royal Elites while competing and they were great.

Sam L

Medalist
Depends on which particular boot in the Royal line you are referring to. I'm a jumper triple triples esp when I had my Royal Elites while competing and they were great.

That’s what Risport said in their tech catalogue but of course if you’re elite you can make everything work. I suppose it’s like how John Wilson says Gold Seals are better for spins and P99 for jumps. But say Nathan Chen does quads in Gold Seals.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That’s what Risport said in their tech catalogue but of course if you’re elite you can make everything work. I suppose it’s like how John Wilson says Gold Seals are better for spins and P99 for jumps. But say Nathan Chen does quads in Gold Seals.

I don't always go by what the catalog says. It's not "set in stone" information.

It doesn't have much to do with me being an elite and "making everything work" at all. But I will say I do agree with P99s for jumps. ;)

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Thanks for the insights, everyone! Sounds like I'll definitely have to try on both lines in the store to see which feels best for my foot.

How long have you had the RF3 pro? I've seen a few people online say that the boot broke down very quickly for them. I only do half and single jumps, no doubles, about 115-120 lbs. I don't want an overly stiff boot, but I also don't want it to break down prematurely! I'd love any other insights you might have! :biggrin:

Sam L

Medalist
I don't always go by what the catalog says. It's not in stone information.

It doesn't have much to do with me being an elite and "making everything work" at all. But I will say I do agree with P99s for jumps. ;)

Yeah right I guess it’s like their blade sizing chart. Lol

Sam L

Medalist
Excuse me? Can you be more clear on this?

The Risport blade sizing chart was very confusing as it said that I needed to go 1/4 inch smaller but it also said that for a bigger than mine at 275 mondo size it should also be 10 inch blade which I’m sure would’ve made the blades too short on that boot. So I’m guessing their tech catalogue is wrong?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The Risport blade sizing chart was very confusing as it said that I needed to go 1/4 inch smaller but it also said that for a bigger than mine at 275 mondo size it should also be 10 inch blade which I’m sure would’ve made the blades too short on that boot. So I’m guessing their tech catalogue is wrong?

Yes I remember about that now! You had me confused for a minute lol! I am glad you got your blade stuff sorted out. :cool:

tothepointe

On the Ice
I know there have been many threads about Risport recently... I'm wondering what the main differences are between the RF3 Pro and the Royal Pro. Are they built on different lasts? I can see that the RF3 has a flex notch and the Royal doesn't, and I can see that they are 60 vs 65 stiffness respectively. RF3 has leather upper as versus microfiber upper, etc. But what are the structural differences between them? Are they shaped differently inside? I've gotten the chance to wear the Risport Elite Dance, which seems to be similar to the Royal, but I don't know if the Royal Pro would feel the same on my foot as the Elite Dance does. (Obviously the Dance boot has a flex notch and a very low backstay.) My inclination would be to get the Royal because, at least externally, it is similar to the Elite Dance (and they're both 65 stiffness), but I also really like flex notches and thus I wonder if the RF3 would be better...

I should also add that I know the Elite Dance only comes in a C width, so if I were to go with either Royal or RF3, I'd be sure to get the C width. My poor feet couldn't stand anything narrower!

https://issuu.com/klsport/docs/catalogo_tecnico_a4_risport_ice-rol

This is their technical info regarding the difference. I believe the RF series is a more traditional shape while the Royal series is a more "banana" shape and the reinforcements are different so you don't need a flex notch.

Sophia3

Spectator
https://issuu.com/klsport/docs/catalogo_tecnico_a4_risport_ice-rol

This is their technical info regarding the difference. I believe the RF series is a more traditional shape while the Royal series is a more "banana" shape and the reinforcements are different so you don't need a flex notch. instagram pro
What are the internal structural differences between the Risport RF3 Pro and Royal Pro boots, besides the flex notch and stiffness?
I would be very happy if you could let me know, thanks. I know this is an old discussion but the answer to my question is very important I am
appealing to the admin. Please approve my post, Thanks

Last edited: