Ashley Wagner assaulted by John Coughlin | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner assaulted by John Coughlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchUnicorn

Spectator
There had some speculation that stories like this would likely be coming out. I have to admit, I’m still rather shocked and shook by this whole story. It has to be extremely hard to speak out about something so personal, especially when the person who assaulted you is beloved by so many in the sport.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ting-sexual-assault-john-coughlin/1876517001/

NOTE FROM GS FORUM STAFF

We understand that this topic is extremely sensitive and perhaps triggering for many of our members. Our team of moderators is doing our best to moderate this thread - please keep in mind that all GS Guidelines still apply in this thread.

We here at GoldenSkate support victims of sexual assault, and we support Ashley Wagner and applaud her for coming forward. However, we are allowing those of other viewpoints to express those opinions here, as long as they are within GS Guidelines - unfounded speculation and slander is not allowed. This is NOT an endorsement of those viewpoints. We also understand that those viewpoints may be triggering, and encourage users to use the "Ignore" function in response to those posts/users. Please continue to report posts that violate GS Guidelines.

If you are a victim of sexual assault and feel re-traumatized by today's revelations, please call USA National Sexual Assault Hotline
1-800-656-4673

Canadian hotlines are on this webpage:
http://www.feminist.org/911/resources_other.html

Last edited by a moderator:

mrrice

Record Breaker
There had some speculation that stories like this would likely be coming out. I have to admit, I’m still rather shocked and shook by this whole story. It has to be extremely hard to speak out about something so personal, especially when the person who assaulted you is beloved by so many in the sport.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ting-sexual-assault-john-coughlin/1876517001/

I don't know what to say about this article. I love/loved both skaters and I find this heartbreaking. A sad and awful chapter in skating.

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
Wow. Ashley said that she decided to come forward and had proposed changes to USFS after Alysa Lui won nationals. She hits on many things that have been discussed, the power imbalances, the normalization of younger and older skaters being put into social situations together, her being afraid to come forward for fear of being seen as dramatic in a political sport. Heartbreaking.

andromache

Record Breaker
I had believed the anonymous victims about Coughlin, but I had no idea that a beloved, elite skater would come forward. She’s so brave. This must be so difficult for her.

macy

Record Breaker
holy cow...definitely didn't see this coming. so much respect to her for speaking out and doing something about what happened to her to protect future generations.

but unfortunately i can't help but think she will be criticized and ridiculed for this by a lot of people. Ashley has always been known for speaking her mind even when others don't agree, and i have a feeling a lot of people are going to think she just wants the attention now that she's out of the spotlight or is being "dramatic." i sincerely hope this isn't the case, but we have seen the same reactions with the Larry Nassar victims.

i really hope her actions spur change, awareness, and productivity within USFSA so athletes, especially those as young as Alysa Liu like Ashley mentioned, will be protected.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Good she finally found the courage to speak out.

And Coughlin's suicide prevented the disclosure of his crimes and his punishment.

Now all the governing bodies and USOC really must push their agendas to make children and youth sports safe for all.

But it will be more difficult in protecting one athlete from being abused/molested/assaulted by another.

Here only raising awareness in both children, parents and trainers and empowerment of young sportspersons will work.

SorrySkater

On the Ice
Wow. What an incredibly brave thing to do. Only someone as strong and self-confident as Ashley Wagner could share her story in this way. As with the women’s gymnastics case, I think that having a name and a face to the victims will help bring about the change that is needed. This could very well open the floodgates for even more victims to come forward. Thank you, Ashley, for your bravery.

Ziotic

Medalist
Wow. What an incredibly brave thing to do. Only someone as strong and self-confident as Ashley Wagner could share her story in this way. As with the women’s gymnastics case, I think that having a name and a face to the victims will help bring about the change that is needed. This could very well open the floodgates for even more victims to come forward. Thank you, Ashley, for your bravery.

You are probably right, having someone as prominent as Ashley disclose makes me feel like the floodgates are indeed about to burst.

Also her story makes me wonder about Coughin’s perception of what he was doing. Did he understand that he was seriously crossing a line? Was his behaviour normalized and therefore he felt entitled and as though what he was doing was acceptable? Was he under the impression that his standing in the world of figure skating entitled him to approach young skaters in this manner? Part of me also wonders if he though to himself; “I stopped when she told me too so I’ve done nothing wrong”??

So many questions that will forever be unanswered.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Her story also raises another issue that so far hasn’t been addressed: The manner in which underage skaters at an official event were able to so easily gather at a party & drink, without any apparent fed supervision. Yes, some likely were 21+ and legal to do that. But Ashley probably wasn’t the only minor there who was not able to get back to her actual hotel room. Weren’t there any fed adults responsible for the safe whereabouts of these skaters?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Her story also raises another issue that so far hasn’t been addressed: The manner in which underage skaters at an official event were able to so easily gather at a party & drink, without any apparent fed supervision. Yes, some likely were 21+ and legal to do that. But Ashley probably wasn’t the only minor there who was not able to get back to her actual hotel room. Weren’t there any fed adults responsible for the safe whereabouts of these skaters?

This and many other things. But I won't impose my "Russian mentality". It's not popular among active users here. The only thing that I would say is that in Russia we speak only good about the deceased or we don't speak at all.

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
holy cow...definitely didn't see this coming. so much respect to her for speaking out and doing something about what happened to her to protect future generations.

but unfortunately i can't help but think she will be criticized and ridiculed for this by a lot of people. Ashley has always been known for speaking her mind even when others don't agree, and i have a feeling a lot of people are going to think she just wants the attention now that she's out of the spotlight or is being "dramatic." i sincerely hope this isn't the case, but we have seen the same reactions with the Larry Nassar victims.

i really hope her actions spur change, awareness, and productivity within USFSA so athletes, especially those as young as Alysa Liu like Ashley mentioned, will be protected.

Or people who will dismiss it with "well, it wasn't rape". "He stopped when she asked". "He had too much to drink and didn't know what he was doing". I also wonder how many other people he did this too, but also, it's a story that is familiar to far too many of us.

litenkyckling

Final Flight

Although, "safe whereabouts" aside, I think that the point that Ashley is trying to make is that this was safe. She was surrounded by people she trusted. Obviously the age gaps and power imbalances are a huge part of the problem but it's also important to remember that abuse of trust no matter what the age gap etc is, is a massive part of this too.

This must've have been so difficult for her to do, but so grateful that she has shared her story.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
This and many other things. But I won't impose my "Russian mentality". It's not popular among active users here. The only thing that I would say is that in Russia we speak only good about the deceased or we don't speak at all.

As it these things don't exist in Russia!

From my experience with following Russian gymnastics and travelling to competitions, often staying at the same hotel with some delegation or the other, I know that the trainers are busy boozing and fornicating after competition, paying no attention to their pupils at all (who might very well do the same, running barely dressed through the corridors all night, celebrating from room to room).

On departure day everybody gathers in the lobby looking haggard and hung over before being brought back to the airport where the last of the pocket money is spent in the tax free on tobacco and liquor.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Your opinions may not be popular (perhaps there is a reason for that...) but I certainly never assume that all Russians think exactly the same way. It's a massive country with an infinite number of different "Russian mentalities." Maybe you should just try to speak for yourself instead of everyone in Russia.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Let’s then be thankful most don’t take your stance, thus forgetting or ignoring the horrors bad people have inflicted on others, you know like Hitler...

Thanks for supporting the Godwin's law.

You may call it professional deformation, but public confession is not irrefutable evidence.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Let’s then be thankful most don’t take your stance, thus forgetting or ignoring the horrors bad people have inflicted on others, you know like Hitler...

One can extrapolate or transform any thought or even proverb to the level of absurdity. I find it degrading to explain such things. I shall try it anyway, hopefully, one time only. You cannot compare historical figures responsible for lives of nations with those who were accused of an attempted assault years after when they cannot talk back because they are dead. Isn't it simple?

But even with historical figures there was hardly a person in the 19th century responsible for more death and suffering than Napoleon. Yet, his reputation is much better than that of Hitler.

macy

Record Breaker
Or people who will dismiss it with "well, it wasn't rape". "He stopped when she asked". "He had too much to drink and didn't know what he was doing". I also wonder how many other people he did this too, but also, it's a story that is familiar to far too many of us.

this is already an arguement in the comments on the youtube video. it's really disgusting.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
But I won't impose my "Russian mentality". It's not popular among active users here. The only thing that I would say is that in Russia we speak only good about the deceased or we don't speak at all.
What would be the moral or practical value of that approach, exactly? That's a recipe for sweeping things under the rug, and letting people like Namiotka who have already accused him feel more isolated.

Status
Not open for further replies.