Ashley Wagner assaulted by John Coughlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Well said.

While I understand cultures can differ, as humans the morals behind what has happened to Ashley and others just aren’t up for debate.

No human should ever exert control over another for personal gain. If you believe differently you are wrong, you were taught wrong and your moral compass needs to be corrected.

Many people care about other's moral compass (quite often more than their own), but I think that mine works pretty well. And the presumption of innocence is an essential part of it.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So, you are basically saying that presumption of innocence is a bad thing and people should be publicly judged without even having proper trial. Let's cancel all courts, all law, from now only crowd (or "people's tribunals" as it was called) will decide who is to blame, who has the right to speak, whose comments are worth and whose are not. That's the experience we made in the past and I see that there are still people who would like to apply that. No, thanks, it seems that people will never learn, they are doomed to do the same mistakes again and again.

And I do not believe in karma, there is nothing like higher justice, only the one that people would apply, therefore they need to be very careful when they judge the others. When people make a mistake (bad judgement), nobody else will correct it.

What makes you conclude that pearly or anyone else in this thread is saying that “presumption of innocence” is a bad thing? I’m genuinely curious.

pearly

Record Breaker
Meanwhile, Dalilah Sappenfield has been deleting comments asking her if she has anything to say to this new development. Someone better hand her a hat.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
I am incredibly horrified by users on this board describing what John Coughlin did as a "minor infraction". How about describing what he did as "sexual assault with the capacity to destroy another person's life"? It may be the case that some cases of sexual assault may be considered more heinous than others, but it does not take the way the fact that all sexual assault is heinous, and to suggest otherwise is reprehensible. Does the fact that Ashley Wagner did not experience the "worst" forms of sexual abuse, take away from the fact that she was a victim to a crime with potential ramifications for the remainder of her life? My goodness, I am done with this thread.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Maybe this is going too far or too graphic. But to the people who believe this was not a big deal and similar to a pat on the back, imagine being asleep and waking up to someone penetrating your rear with their fingers. Wouldn’t that feel like a violation? Even if you weren’t penetrated but someone was touching your rear and planning penetration. That’s not okay and most people would be upset by this violation.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Maybe this is going too far or too graphic. But to the people who believe this was not a big deal and similar to a pat on the back, imagine being asleep and waking up to someone penetrating your rear with their fingers. Wouldn’t that feel like a violation? Even if you weren’t penetrated but someone was touching your rear and planning penetration. That’s not okay and most people would be upset by this violation.

Even just waking up to an uninvited man being in your bed ... an “accident” if he had realized his mistake & left immediately ... but then became misdemeanor assault when he kissed her neck & put hands on her body ... and then progressed to a felony when he put his hands inside her pants.

LaArdilla

Medalist
Thank you, Ashley, for being so brave and speaking up. I hope she will get all the love, support and help she needs.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
And just to add, innocent until proven guilty is for a court of law. Does that mean that journalists can never investigate and report on their investigations? Because everyone should just be assumed innocent so why bother with an investigation?

Journalism is how Weinstein was revealed to the public and held accountable. And there are standards for journalism (well they aren’t always followed these days). Ashley’s comments were verified by interviewing other people she told about the experience at the time. Coughlin would have been asked to comment if he were alive, but he’s not. And Ashley’s comments support multiple other people’s accounts of pattern of misbehavior. That doesn’t mean journalists can’t still attempt to investigate or examine potential systemic problems that allowed for misconduct. Because we just assume everyone is innocent until they are given a trial that does not mean we stop journalism.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It’s just like Michael Jackson! Now what? Remove his wins from USF’s history?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Now what? Remove his wins from USF’s history?

Why not? It would set an example that you can and will not get away with such behaviour that dishonours your sport and a fellow sportsperson.

But it likely won't happen. USFS statutes probably have no clause or provisions for these kind of situations.
And Coughlin took his own life, so sort of escaped justice as delivered by trial before criminal court. Without a conviction and the statutes, USFS really has no legal grounds to strip a deceased sportsman from his honours.
Wether USFS might take a moral stance and wants to display a strong signal is another question, that would require a crime far more serious even, like homicide on a fellow sportsperson I think.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did notice that... and wondered why US Skating didn't then speak up earlier, when the previous victims were getting abused by their own skaters and people in the sport?

I can understand if Ashley was not yet ready to go public, but surely someone in authority could mention that they had been given more reason to believe the girls...

You're way ahead of me, Tally. I have no idea, but I think it's commendable that Ashley got to them in February, AND that USFS followed up right away with several meetings with her about working for changes for safety and well-being .... and they have apparently implemented her speaking to groups of young skaters and parents right away, to excellent effect. :)

Eleanor

On the Ice
Life is not fair. The reason men are bothered less than women is they are STRONGER, and they are FIGHTERS. Men can be raped, too. (Or beaten within an inch of their life, or robbed, or humiliated, or assaulted.) Men are not impervious to danger.

I totally agree that culture needs to change, and men need educating. No one should be treated as a piece of meat.

Women should be taught to be fighters, to be strong AND SMART, mentally, emotionally, physically. "Weak" is not smart. Hoping for the better world, while acting as if we are already there, is not smart either.

It is what it is. Culture can change, and it is changing. But I doubt it will ever be wise to go for a drunken butt-naked midnight stroll in a bad part of town, for either a woman, or a man.

Thank you. I hope everyone will be sensitive to the different parties. I was very upset in reading this. I was further upset that the victim services is very woman dominated and I respect and appreciate they are often the victims/survivors. However, it further suggests that male sexual assault survivors are somehow not as important or that we should suck it up. Violence sexual or otherwise is harmful. I wish something for males would have been included.

The point is that such comments take the focus away from the women - and that the people who say those things actually don't give a flying camel about male rape victims, they just want to take the focus away from women.

Well said.

While I understand cultures can differ, as humans the morals behind what has happened to Ashley and others just aren’t up for debate.

No human should ever exert control over another for personal gain. If you believe differently you are wrong, you were taught wrong and your moral compass needs to be corrected.

Absolutely agree with you here.

It's important to raise awareness on the conditions of women even in the most evolved society in terms of gender equality. It is still difficult as a woman to have a voice and be believed. It's important to stop minimizing what women have to go through their entire lives (the first time I was harrased in the metro, I was 14...). It's important to say that this is not NORMAL and that we should not let this continue because "life is unfair" or "men can be raped too". The discussion, here, is Ashley's coming forward, and the way we answer as a society. So far, I fear things won't change.
So if here, we can change a mind or two and make them realize that we need to fight, men and women together, against these behaviors, then it's a win for me !

annajzdf

Rinkside
Have you ever heard of being frozen with fear? One of the most horrifying things I can think of is being attacked while sleeping. And add to that, she was only 17. And what kind of educating do you suggest? Nothing can prepare someone for a situation like this.

This. Apart from obviously needing some time to process and realise what's happening or consciously choosing not to resist, as not to provoke or to appease the assaulter, there's also the very real, biological response of involuntary freezing to such an attack:
https://obgyn.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/aogs.13174

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I’m glad that Ashley had the courage to share her story, and I really hope she can help make a difference.

This thread ... some of the comments are seriously disgusting:(. Posts not following guidelines in Nathan’s FF for example seem to be quickly deleted - but some disturbing and gross comments are still here ...

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m glad that Ashley had the courage to share her story, and I really hope she can help make a difference.

This thread ... some of the comments are seriously disgusting:(. Posts not following guidelines in Nathan’s FF for example seem to be quickly deleted - but some disturbing and gross comments are still here ...

Indeed. The staff was hoping that folks would be both mature and sensitive in their comments, discussions and debates. This thread will be closed until further notice.

For those who wish to express support for figure skaters who are victims of sexual assault, you may post in this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.