Can I skate with 1 old and 1 new blade | Golden Skate

Can I skate with 1 old and 1 new blade

christy

On the Ice
Probably an odd question, however I just got new skates that are identical to my old ones and I need to break the new ones in. I'm having trouble with my Right boot and need to go back to my fitter to get it punched out but it's going to be a few weeks. In the interim my old Left boot looks like it could be broken down so I'm wondering if I could wear the old Right skate (which is still good) and new Left skate. The only differences being that one blade is new and the other is several years old and one boot is stiffer than the other.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Do you feel comfortable walking around with one of each skate? That's more important than anything else. It's not common for a skater to be in two different boots, but it's not unheard of. I work with a guy who partners gold level dances in one figure and one hockey skate, so if he can manage that, anything is possible. Since you're in the same model of boot and blade, then you should be ok for a few weeks, just be aware of how things are feeling and if they feel off, stop. My right boot goes before my left, so I'm often skating on one boot that's stiff than the other, so that's probably not an issue. Just be careful.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Probably an odd question, however I just got new skates that are identical to my old ones and I need to break the new ones in. I'm having trouble with my Right boot and need to go back to my fitter to get it punched out but it's going to be a few weeks. In the interim my old Left boot looks like it could be broken down so I'm wondering if I could wear the old Right skate (which is still good) and new Left skate. The only differences being that one blade is new and the other is several years old and one boot is stiffer than the other.
Depending on how much the old blade has been sharpened, there might be a significant height difference between the old and new blades. Check to see whether that's a problem. If it is, why don't you simply remount one of the blades so you have a matched set of old blades or new blades (even though you have one old and one new boot)?

christy

On the Ice
Depending on how much the old blade has been sharpened, there might be a significant height difference between the old and new blades. Check to see whether that's a problem. If it is, why don't you simply remount one of the blades so you have a matched set of old blades or new blades (even though you have one old and one new boot)?

Old blade is several years old so has been sharpened a lot meaning there will be a difference, and that is my concern, however I'm worried about swapping the blades and removing the screws when it's just a quick fix for a few weeks at most. If it's going to cause a problem then I'll just stick with the old pair of skates until I can get the problem new boot fixed.