2019-20 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just saw the start order for NHK. Does anyone know why Kinierms are in the first group and Kayne/OShea are in the second group? Don’t Kinierems have the higher world ranking?

This would be a perfect question for the old "Stupid Questions Thread" or the new thread about asking questions here: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...ut-figure-skating-only-kindly-answers-allowed

------------------
Added:
The start orders do correctly represent the world standings, which are based on 3 years of results
First 2 pairs, world standings 18 and none (new pair)
next 2 pairs, 14 and 15
next 2 pairs, 8 and 12
last 2 pairs , 5 and 6

The standings just aren't what you'd expect them to be: MT/M and DM/G are higher than S/H, and K/O are higher than SK/K. For S/H, ranking is lower than expected due to no GPs last year: for K/O it is higher because of worlds three years ago.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I just saw the start order for NHK. Does anyone know why Kinierms are in the first group and Kayne/OShea are in the second group? Don’t Kinierems have the higher world ranking?

This would be a perfect question for the old "Stupid Questions Thread" or the new thread about asking questions here: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...ut-figure-skating-only-kindly-answers-allowed

------------------
Added:
The start orders do correctly represent the world standings, which are based on 3 years of results
First 2 pairs, world standings 18 and none (new pair)
next 2 pairs, 14 and 15
next 2 pairs, 8 and 12
last 2 pairs , 5 and 6

The standings just aren't what you'd expect them to be: MT/M and DM/G are higher than S/H, and K/O are higher than SK/K. For S/H, ranking is lower than expected due to no GPs last year: for K/O it is higher because of worlds three years ago.

My two cents are that this thread was a good place to post Joubabe's question :), and I appreciate that NanaPat gave the answer here :thank:.

The Stupid Questions thread or the new "ask anything thread" would not have been a bad place for the question, but I think this thread was a better place.

Discussion of the relative standings of two particular U.S. pairs is on topic for this thread.
And weeks or months from now, if I want to re-read NanaPat's helpful answer, it will be easier for me to find it here in a topical thread than in a catch-all thread.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Ashley Cain-Gribble and Timothy Leduc for winning the gold medal at Golden Spin of Zagreb today! :yes2: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

Congratulations to Tarah Kayne and Danny O'Shea for winning the silver medal there! :hap10::hap10: :hap93:

And Congratulations to Olivia Serafini and Mervin Tran for a good outing as well. After being in 12th place after the SP, they skated a much better FS, coming in 5th in the FS and 7th overall. :clap: :hap57:

princessalica

Final Flight
What a wonderful victory after Ashley's nasty fall here last year! That would make it even sweeter, I think.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ I think so too. As ladyjane said in another thread, Ashley and Tim can lay their Zagreb ghosts to rest. I think it was mighty courageous of both of them, and especially Ashley, to choose to be there this time. I'm glad they're not superstitious. I have the feeling (of course, what do I know?) that they wanted another competition under their belts before nationals. And that was such good thinking! Not just another comp, but now another win under their belts.:cool14:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
^^^ I think so too. As ladyjane said in another thread, Ashley and Tim can lay their Zagreb ghosts to rest. I think it was mighty courageous of both of them, and especially Ashley, to choose to be there this time. I'm glad they're not superstitious. I have the feeling (of course, what do I know?) that they wanted another competition under their belts before nationals. And that was such good thinking! Not just another comp, but now another win under their belts.:cool14:

Yay! Good for them. I was so happy and pleased to see this result for them. I wish I could have seen the programme, but alas no livestream.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Please visit Ashley and Tim's fanfest if you want to know what Croatian commentators say about the team.

Yay! Good for them. I was so happy and pleased to see this result for them. I wish I could have seen the programme, but alas no livestream.

It seems that it is because of Croatian TV that bought the rights. At least there is a video from gala.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Golden Spin 2019 Ex of Winter Deardorf and Mikhail Johnson
And since the guys don't have a fan fest of their own please welcome some translation of Croatian TV commentary here. I omitted what the commentators speak about Golden Spin in general.

- We have to mention that this team unfortunately was out of sportive luck at this Golden Spin. They were 2nd after short programme, 2nd in free skate, but in overall standings somehow finished 3rd.
- But they definitively have a potential, and they showed it here in calm atmosphere where there is no competitive tension.
- Winter Deardorf had already chances of competing at senior level with her former partner. But now in the federation they most probably decided to change the partnership and we see her...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Golden Spin 2019 Ex of Winter Deardorf and Mikhail Johnson
And since the guys don't have a fan fest of their own please welcome some translation of Croatian TV commentary here. I omitted what the commentators speak about Golden Spin in general.

... Winter Deardorf had already chances of competing at senior level with her former partner. But now in the federation they most probably decided to change the partnership and we see her...

I do not agree with the commentators that U.S. Figure Skating "probably decided to change the partnership" that Winter had with Max Settlage.

Max, who is eight years older than Winter, chose to retire. I do not see any reason to believe that USFS had anything to do with the end of their partnership.
IIRC: Winter then listed herself on icepartnersearch. And it took months before she formed a partnership with Mikhail (former ice dancer).
(Winter herself was not a pair skater before her partnership with Max, who had GP experience in pairs.)

I do think that Deardorff/Johnson show a lot of promise. :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do not agree with the commentators that U.S. Figure Skating "probably decided to change the partnership" that Winter had with Max Settlage.

Max, who is eight years older than Winter, chose to retire. I do not see any reason to believe that USFS had anything to do with the end of their partnership.
IIRC: Winter then listed herself on icepartnersearch. And it took months before she formed a partnership with Mikhail (former ice dancer).
(Winter herself was not a pair skater before her partnership with Max, who had GP experience in pairs.)

I do think that Deardorff/Johnson show a lot of promise. :)

Max was also the US National Pairs champion in 2014 with his former partner. I will miss him this year at Nationals.

The US is not like most other Feds that I know of in that they don’t match pairs or ice dancers up at all. The athletes match themselves up and then get funding (or not) based on their competition results.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max was also the US National Pairs champion in 2014 with his former partner. I will miss him this year at Nationals. ...

:agree: Yes, yes -- with Maddie Aaron :luv17:. (I was trying not to digress too much before about Max Settlage.)

Off topic, but my wishful thinking is that maybe Max S. (as a non-competitor) will attend Nats???
It would be fun to chat with him again.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Max was also the US National Pairs champion in 2014 with his former partner. I will miss him this year at Nationals.

I think you mean that Max was the 2014 US Junior Pairs champion, with Maddie.

Which reminds me of something I read sometime this year: Ashley Cain-Gribble is the only person to have been US Novice Pairs champion (with Josh Reagan 2010), US Junior Pairs Champion (with Reagan 2011), and US Senior Pairs Champion ... with Timothy LeDuc 2019. :hap10:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think you mean that Max was the 2014 US Junior Pairs champion, with Maddie. ...

Ohhhh, you are correct, of course. :)

I was so excited by the opportunity to mention Maddie in my reply that I did not even notice that an important word was missing. :hopelessness:

... Which reminds me of something I read sometime this year: Ashley Cain-Gribble is the only person to have been US Novice Pairs champion (with Josh Reagan 2010), US Junior Pairs Champion (with Reagan 2011), and US Senior Pairs Champion ... with Timothy LeDuc 2019. :hap10:

Then Ashley forever will be the only one with that set of titles ... unless USFS decides down the road to have Novices compete at Nationals again.

(I went to two local ice shows this past weekend, and my ears had to get used to hearing introductions like: Skater XYZ "has qualified for the National Development Camp in January!!"
Although I do not want to diminish that accomplishment, it does not have quite the same ring as "has qualified for Nationals!!")

Cate Fleming and Jedidiah Isbell are the pair named to the YOG team today.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ohhhh, you are correct, of course. :)

I was so excited by the opportunity to mention Maddie in my reply that I did not even notice that an important word was missing. :hopelessness:

Then Ashley forever will be the only one with that set of titles ... unless USFS decides down the road to have Novices compete at Nationals again.

(I went to two local ice shows this past weekend, and my ears had to get used to hearing introductions like: Skater XYZ "has qualified for the National Development Camp in January!!"
Although I do not want to diminish that accomplishment, it does not have quite the same ring as "has qualified for Nationals!!")

Goodness! It certainly doesn't. But I can only hope that it will work out well for our novice pairs, in some way ... maybe even an unpredictable way!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US is not like most other Feds that I know of in that they don’t match pairs or ice dancers up at all. The athletes match themselves up and then get funding (or not) based on their competition results.

It just occurred to me, after I answered ice coverage's post ..,. I wonder if that's something the Fed plans to take an interest in, with a new focus on a National Development Camp for novices. I can imagine it might be.

One of the few instances I know of where a USFS official suggested a pairing was with Ashley and Tim. That has worked out very well indeed. :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think you mean that Max was the 2014 US Junior Pairs champion, with Maddie.

Which reminds me of something I read sometime this year: Ashley Cain-Gribble is the only person to have been US Novice Pairs champion (with Josh Reagan 2010), US Junior Pairs Champion (with Reagan 2011), and US Senior Pairs Champion ... with Timothy LeDuc 2019. :hap10:

Yes of course that is what I meant. Sorry!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes of course that is what I meant. Sorry!

No worries. If that was like the worst mis-speak I'd ever mis-spoke, I'd feel lucky. :) I was actually rewatching parts of the 2013-14 season in the past couple of days, so it was fresh on my mind.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
One of the few instances I know of where a USFS official suggested a pairing was with Ashley and Tim. That has worked out very well indeed. :)

I feel like maybe I heard that Hawayek & Baker were advised to try out. (Perhaps I'm remembering wrong).

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel like maybe I heard that Hawayek & Baker were advised to try out. (Perhaps I'm remembering wrong).

I hadn't heard that, but it's interesting. The only one I'd heard about besides Ashley and Tim was Deanna Stellato and Nate Bartholomay. Those two pairs pair=ups happened the same year. It almost made me think that USFS was listening and taking to heart what Dave (and at that time Jenny) had been saying for a few years, that it would benefit our pairs program for someone to take a hand in it.

Dave and Jonathan have taken it way too far now, though. For years, they've been saying Danny should be skating with a better skater than Tarah (Danny has alluded more than once that that's not happening). Then, a couple of years ago they started in on Ashley and Tim, saying they're an unequal pair skills-wise. That is not going to happen, either, so I don't know why they keep "suggesting" it. Now this last time (either after NHK or GPF) they started in on Alexa and Chris, same issue: differing skill levels. And to think of them splitting being even an outside possibility is, to me, the height of absurdity.

Come to think of it, I just remembered that Jenny and Dave, or Jonathan and Dave, had said for a few seasons that they wished Jessica Calalang would break up with Zach Sidhu, her then-partner and boyfriend, and skate with someone with better skills. Well, that finally did happen. It's one of the subjects that I wish Dave would get off of. I know, I know, I don't have to listen. But at least I've learned not to react to very much of what they say, just to take in the areas where I find them interesting.