2019-20 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A new thread for those of us who are interested in US. Pairs!

Here are a few programs, and my thoughts, from Skate Detroit. These are just randomly thought of and ordered. Please feel free and happy to add posts, thoughts, IGs, etc. about any US pair you're interested in.

New Pair Emily Chan and Spencer Howe, SP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYF6q3rbuMs
I really like this pairing. Emily is very expressive, and Spencer already has (I think) a lovely way of presenting her.

New-ish pair Olivia Serafini and Mervin Tran, FS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu2PLZFmE24.
They've come such a long way since 2019 nationals! Again, I like what they are already able to express together; they have a gentle flair.

Current US champions Ashley Cain and Timothy Leduc, SP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nui6w8PEx3U
Considering Ashley's marriage, and she even took a honeymoon! this SP is coming along. The second time I watched this, I could see the Misha Ge touches. Mostly, Ashley & Tim have a smooth, gently edgy mood that I'm picking up on. The steps and refinements I'm sure will come. They WD after the SP.

Jessica Calalang and Brian Johnson SP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXyTm2ER9Zo
They won this event. One of the most impressive things IMO about this pair is their confidence together!

This is all I have time to post at the moment, but I hope this will get our journey started.

withwings

On the Ice
I am curios who is coaching Serafini/Tran?
I actually like this pair a lot. imho there is something special in them... It does not yet has came to the fruition, but it is there. I wish them to succeed.

jcmerman

Rinkside
I am really impressed with Jessica C. and Brian J. I actually really liked them at last years US Nationals. I've never seen her look so confident. And he is just a great male partner to have. I really like this pair. If they keep it up and with time, I can see them being very successful. I have watched this short program several times and I really like it.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am curios who is coaching Serafini/Tran?
I actually like this pair a lot. imho there is something special in them... It does not yet has came to the fruition, but it is there. I wish them to succeed.

Wikipedia says his coach is Bruno Marcotte. I don't know if that's current, but I think TSL has said S/T have been working near Toronto in Meagan/Bruno's new location. But if anyone has better information, I''m also very curious .... who will they be competing for?

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am really impressed with Jessica C. and Brian J. I actually really liked them at last years US Nationals. I've never seen her look so confident. And he is just a great male partner to have. I really like this pair. If they keep it up and with time, I can see them being very successful. I have watched this short program several times and I really like it.

I completely agree. It's interesting, because I'd heard that Jessica's former skating partner, Zach Sidhu, was her boyfriend. And she didn't look nearly as confident with him. Maybe she was always concerned about him. But she and Brian seem very confident and in sync.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Due to Mervin's Citizenship process, they have moved to train in the U.S. in NY. I can't remember the coaches name but I think it its a former Marcotte student/coach. I'm not 100% sure though

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Due to Mervin's Citizenship process, they have moved to train in the U.S. in NY. I can't remember the coaches name but I think it its a former Marcotte student/coach. I'm not 100% sure though

I think the coaches are Jason Briggs and Jana Brazee. The programs were done by Julie Marcotte.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is report on FSU that Deanna Stellato is now officially skating with Maxime Deschamps::eek:
(Sorry I am hopeless at copying links on my iPad, I may edit later)
They are officially listed as a pair entered in Souvenir Georges Éthier (I have no ice if that is part of the Canadian summer series)

Or which country they will represent :confused:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There is report on FSU that Deanna Stellato is now officially skating with Maxime Deschamps::eek:
(Sorry I am hopeless at copying links on my iPad, I may edit later)
They are officially listed as a pair entered in Souvenir Georges Éthier (I have no ice if that is part of the Canadian summer series)

Or which country they will represent :confused:

It's a domestic event put on by Patinage Quebec (though not part of the summer series - it's in late September). Deanna and Max are listed as representing a Quebec skating club, whereas the other teams from other countries have countries instead (except Roy/Pietrantonio, who have an Italian club listed). And every other team I see on the list who skates for a another country has that country listed under region (Roy/Pietrantonio have ITA, Fukase/Zhang have JPN, Games/Paradis have PHI, Harris/Chan have AUS), but Stellato/Deschamps don't have USA.

All of which suggests to me that they may be representing Canada, but I don't know for sure.

Here's the entry list: https://patinage.qc.ca/wp-content/u...des-participants-SGE-2019-15-août-2019-PM.pdf

chanchan

On the Ice
He didn’t say. This is such painful news. They were so ready this season! I really thought they were they future or US Pairs.

Yeah, they did. Actually I thought they would compete at SA this season. Excited too early.:slink:

He said that he would try to find a new partner and continue pair skating. Well, good luck to them both.:pray::pray:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, we have FOUR pairs who are presently, or have been, once, since 2016, the U.S. champions. They'll all be contending mightily for the top spot this year!
In alphabetical order: Cain-Gribble/LeDuc, Denney/Frazier, Kayne/O'Shea, and Scimeca-Knierim/Knierim.

I've made a list of pairs elements and other qualities that contribute to good pairs skating, in my eyes, at least; and I've picked who among those four have the best element or strongest quality ... all in my purely subjective opinions, and my occasionally objective judgment. Full disclosure: I stole this idea, and expanded it, from a post in FSU. I hope some others will find this an interesting train of thought, and comment. I like conversation! And if anyone would like to add to the list, or disagree (or even agree!) with my choices, I (and hopefully others) will be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Twist – No contest: the Knierims.
Lifts - Denney/Frazier
Jumps - Cain/LeDuc
Throws - Knierims, Denney/Frazier
Drama – Kayne/O’Shea
Matching lines and unison – Cain/LeDuc
“Selling it” – Kayne/O'Shea, especially Tarah, and Cain/Leduc
SBS spins – Cain/LeDuc
Best smile - Danny
Romantic Vibe - Denney/Frazier
Individual charisma – Tarah (Swan Lake) and Danny (2015-16 POTO)
Chemistry - Cain/LeDuc
Conventional look: tiny-girl/tall man pair – a tie between Knierims & Denney/Frazier
Unconventional pair: Ferocious quality + calm, strong skating – Cain/Leduc

I came up with those last two "categories" because of something someone said in a pairs discussion last year: that the tiny-girl/big-strong-man dynamic is an essential quality of pairs skating. I'd modify that by saying maybe since G&G, but not historically .. think of The Protopopovs and Tai and Randy. Also, in the present day, think Sui/Han. Anyway, someone else said they were tired of that dynamic anyway ... and it got me to thinking that I love both styles of teams, and I'm really happy to see C/L challenging what many figure skating fans seem to feel is the essential quality of a pair. But I don't want to get rid of either style, because I like the variety. I love all these teams, though I love some more than others. I also really enjoy the next tier of our senior pairs and in the back of my mind I'm thinking up a way to write another post celebrating them too. (I can hear some of you thinking, wait, don't get too carried away! :dbana:)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I totally think Alexa and Chris have the best romantic vibe and chemistry. I guess it is a very subjective thing. I was listening to a podcast and the people were saying Chris and Alexa had "no chemistry"....I was like WHAT?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I totally think Alexa and Chris have the best romantic vibe and chemistry. I guess it is a very subjective thing. I was listening to a podcast and the people were saying Chris and Alexa had "no chemistry"....I was like WHAT?

I've never felt that much chemistry from them, at least in competition programs. I wouldn't say they have none, but I also don't think they have the best in the US and I wouldn't say that chemistry is one of their best qualities (imo of course).

happycamper2554

On the Ice
So, we have FOUR pairs who are presently, or have been, once, since 2016, the U.S. champions. They'll all be contending mightily for the top spot this year!
In alphabetical order: Cain-Gribble/LeDuc, Denney/Frazier, Kayne/O'Shea, and Scimeca-Knierim/Knierim.

I've made a list of pairs elements and other qualities that contribute to good pairs skating, in my eyes, at least; and I've picked who among those four have the best element or strongest quality ... all in my purely subjective opinions, and my occasionally objective judgment. Full disclosure: I stole this idea, and expanded it, from a post in FSU. I hope some others will find this an interesting train of thought, and comment. I like conversation! And if anyone would like to add to the list, or disagree (or even agree!) with my choices, I (and hopefully others) will be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Twist – No contest: the Knierims.
Lifts - Denney/Frazier
Jumps - Cain/LeDuc
Throws - Knierims, Denney/Frazier
Drama – Kayne/O’Shea
Matching lines and unison – Cain/LeDuc
“Selling it” – Kayne/O'Shea, especially Tarah, and Cain/Leduc
SBS spins – Cain/LeDuc
Best smile - Danny
Romantic Vibe - Denney/Frazier
Individual charisma – Tarah (Swan Lake) and Danny (2015-16 POTO)
Chemistry - Cain/LeDuc
Conventional look: tiny-girl/tall man pair – a tie between Knierims & Denney/Frazier
Unconventional pair: Ferocious quality + calm, strong skating – Cain/Leduc

I came up with those last two "categories" because of something someone said in a pairs discussion last year: that the tiny-girl/big-strong-man dynamic is an essential quality of pairs skating. I'd modify that by saying maybe since G&G, but not historically .. think of The Protopopovs and Tai and Randy. Also, in the present day, think Sui/Han. Anyway, someone else said they were tired of that dynamic anyway ... and it got me to thinking that I love both styles of teams, and I'm really happy to see C/L challenging what many figure skating fans seem to feel is the essential quality of a pair. But I don't want to get rid of either style, because I like the variety. I love all these teams, though I love some more than others. I also really enjoy the next tier of our senior pairs and in the back of my mind I'm thinking up a way to write another post celebrating them too. (I can hear some of you thinking, wait, don't get too carried away! :dbana:)

Cain and Leduc have horrible chemistry. They look like they are fighting to be the star of the show

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I've never felt that much chemistry from them, at least in competition programs. I wouldn't say they have none, but I also don't think they have the best in the US and I wouldn't say that chemistry is one of their best qualities (imo of course).

I'd say at least half the things on my list are subjective, and there are differing opinions, but there might be a consensus, with minority opposition. I've always puzzled why I don't feel much chemistry from the Knierims. I've worked out that the answer, for me of course, is that whatever they have, I may know it but I don't see it when they skate and I don't feel it. Bruno Mossot said in an IN interview that in 2017-18, he, Aljona and their team worked very hard to make their connection more visible to the audience, with very small gestures and adjustments. And I think Charlie White talked about working with James/Cipres on being more together, with very fine adjustments to let the audience feel their connection more.

The only time I really felt a romantic vibe between Alexa and Chris was at the 2017 4CC when they were finally back on the ice together after Alexa's illness. And it struck me how much I was watching Chris (unusual for me), and how romantic he was; and for the first time I felt it from Alexa also. The next season, I felt more that Alexa was concentrating on other things again. And it may be that Alexa is more restrained in showing the intimacy of their relationship ... as I think I probably would be, if I were in her place.

Of course, maybe I'm projecting. But it fascinates me that it's not just about having a strong connection, which Alexa and Chris obviously do; but it's about how audiences perceive it.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cain and Leduc have horrible chemistry. They look like they are fighting to be the star of the show

Hm. Have you been listening to TSL? I know Dave Lease thinks that, but I don't. I do think that in some of Ashley and Tim's programs, they show their chemistry and connectedness more consistently than with other programs, but I always feel it ... in my bones. Or in their bones. :) For me, their Great Gatsby FS in 2017-18 and their W.E. 2018-19 FS are the times when I think they're communicating it especially well, and making me feel it. They're so unified. Also with their first SP together, I Put a Spell on You, in 2016-17.

So maybe I'll add three more categories for anyone to make their nominations for:

Connectedness = Are this and Chemistry the same thing?

Comedy (since I have one for Drama)

Unison, and/or Unity/ Intent

cohen-esque

Final Flight
I sort of agree with you... they’re both performers; they aren’t really content to shove all of the attention onto the other. But to me they feed off each other and it is legitimate chemistry. I thought that their dynamic worked really well for their Bella Belle program last season, for instance. It’s a quality a good choreographer can work with.

And not a point directed at you, but in general: I’d rather watch a Pair that consists of two performers feeding off of each other and sharing the spotlight, rather than the horrible old paradigm in which “Pairs” doesn’t really mean much, because the man is only there as an inoffensive backdrop to present his lady.