2019-20 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good luck to all at the U.S. Pairs Final.

Interested to see how Chan/Howe and McIsaac/Sadusky fare.
Hope that the TES minimum will not prevent McIsaac/Sadusky from competing at Nats too. (Chan/Howe already have it from sectionals.)
Wishing Pfund/Santillan the best.

As for juniors, interested to see how Deardorff/Johnson and Flaum/Wellman fare.

AFAIK, Mervin Tran *is* serious about getting U.S. citizenship.
The full-time training base for Serafini/Tran is in the U.S.
And IIRC, he does have a green card.

At least on the ISU site, Ashley/Tim, Tarah/Danny, and the Knierims are listed as entries for Golden Spin, with Olivia/Mervin as subs.

Winter is skating as a junior this year? Didn’t she skate as a senior last year?

Joubabe

On the Ice
Country
United-States
When was the last time any of those teams beat the top Canadians?

The Knierims beat MT&M at 2017 Skate America and 2018 NHK. I think MT&M are pretty much maxed out on scoring since they usually skate clean. The Knierims, CG-L, and Denney and Frazier all sadly usually make some mistakes plus I think they have more explosive elements for the most part than MT&M. I definitely believe all three American teams can beat the top Canadian teams if they go clean.

labgoat

Female thinker deep in various thoughts
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Knierims beat MT&T at 2017 Skate America and 2018 NHK. I think MT&T are pretty much maxed out on scoring since they usually skate clean. The Knierims, CG-L, and Denney and Frazier all sadly usually make some mistakes plus I think they have more explosive elements for the most part than MT&T. I definitely believe all three American teams can beat the top Canadian teams if they go clean.

Do you mean MT & M?

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
How many of the pairs from the US pairs final will qualify to nationals? I’m confused because there is just one pairs event not 3 like the sectionals.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Cain/LeDuc will perform in NYC on Dec 10 and 11 at the Rink at Brookfield Place.

Shows at 7 pm on this outdoor rink.

Rohene Ward also is in the cast this year.

The shows have been free in the past. I assume the same will be true this year.

How many of the pairs from the US pairs final will qualify to nationals? I’m confused because there is just one pairs event not 3 like the sectionals.

For juniors and seniors, it is possible for a maximum of twelve pairs at each level to advance to Nats from the Pairs Final.

So all twelve junior pairs at this year's Final will advance to Nats.
(Good news … except that a thirteenth junior pair, McLellan/Rounis, were listed among the practice groups, but evidently withdrew. :()

For seniors:
To qualify for Nats, seniors must meet a requirement for minimum total TES (SP TES + FS TES from the same competition from this season). For senior pairs, the TES minimum is 68.00.​
*If* all eight pairs from this year's Final have met the TES minimum, they all will advance to Nats. But the SP at the Final has concluded, and I unfortunately fear that not all pairs will meet the minimum. Congratulations to Pfund/Santillan for winning the SP.

(BTW, USFS sectionals for pairs took place a few weeks ago -- during the same time period as USFS regionals for singles skaters.)

... I'll be interested to see how she does.

At Mid-Atlantics in September, I really liked how Winter's new partner Mikhail Johnson (former ice dancer) moved. Hope they do well together.

ETA:

Forgot to post link to new article re Digerness/Neudecker:

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...saw-cup-and-2019-20-season.aspx?path=rinkside (Nov 13)​

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For juniors and seniors, it is possible for a maximum of twelve pairs at each level to advance to Nats from the Pairs Final.

So all twelve junior pairs at this year's Final will advance to Nats.
(Good news … except that a thirteenth junior pair, McLellan/Rounis, were listed among the practice groups, but evidently withdrew. :()

For seniors:
To qualify for Nats, seniors must meet a requirement for minimum total TES (SP TES + FS TES from the same competition from this season). For senior pairs, the TES minimum is 68.00.​
*If* all eight pairs from this year's Final have met the TES minimum, they all will advance to Nats. But the SP at the Final has concluded, and I unfortunately fear that not all pairs will meet the minimum. Congratulations to Pfund/Santillan for winning the SP.

(BTW, USFS sectionals for pairs took place a few weeks ago -- during the same time period as USFS regionals for singles skaters.)

At Mid-Atlantics in September, I really liked how Winter's new partner Mikhail Johnson (former ice dancer) moved. Hope they do well together.

ETA:

Forgot to post link to new article re Digerness/Neudecker:

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...saw-cup-and-2019-20-season.aspx?path=rinkside (Nov 13)​

Don't some have byes?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Don't some have byes?

My previous reply was in response to RussianBleux's question, which was: How many pairs from the U.S. Pairs Final will qualify to Nats?

In reply to moonvine's question:

Other pairs -- who are not at the Final -- have byes to Nationals.

Cain-Gribble/LeDuc; Denney/Frazier; Kayne/O'Shea; Calalang/Johnson; Knierims; Lu/Mitrofanov; Digerness/Neudecker. Hope I'm not forgetting anyone.​

ETA:

New article re Lu/Mitrofanov has something interesting about their coaches too (emphases added):

As if their recent transition from juniors to seniors isn't enough, another huge change is on the horizon for the 2018 U.S. junior champions. Lu is a senior at a private high school for athletes and is applying to colleges nationwide. The college she selects will be determined by where their coaching team of Aleksey Letov and Olga Ganicheva wind up. The skaters and coaches are currently based in Plano, Texas, but may be on the move in the relatively near future.

"If they move, we move with them," said Mitrofanov. "We love Aleksey and Olga."

Lu said that there are rinks in Boston and California that are interested in recruiting their coaches, so she is applying to college in both of those places, as well as Dallas. Mitrofanov is currently a student at University of Texas at Dallas.

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...-forward-to-developing-as-senior-skaters.aspx (Nov 13)​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
How many of the pairs from the US pairs final will qualify to nationals? ...

Update:

I believe six of the seven senior pairs who completed the U.S. Pairs Final will advance to Nats.

Those six achieved the TES minimum -- some at the Final, some already had it before the Final.

An eighth pair competed in the SP at the Final, but WD from the FS.

So 2020 Nats will have thirteen senior pairs, which is the same number as at 2019 Nats.​
ETA (on Nov 17):
IIRC, Feng/Nyman had to withdraw before 2019 Nats, which otherwise would have had fourteen senior pairs.​

Congratulations to Serafini/Tran, Pfund/Santillan, Lockley/Prochnow, and Mokhova/Mokhov, who were the top four at the Final.

McIsaac/Sadusky placed seventh at the Final, and did not make the minimum TES there. I do not think that they had the minimum from before.
They are a new partnership this season, and McIsaac is new this season to the discipline of pairs.
I am not 100% sure, but the Final might have been their first competition together? They apparently were not registered for NQS (did not show up in the NQS standings); they did not compete at sectionals; and they did not compete at the Southwest Florida Fall Classic. (They train in Florida.)

At 2019 Nats, the total overall score for the pair in thirteenth place was 137.95.
McIsaac/Sadusky's total overall score at the Final was 127.00. Their total TES at the Final was 66.73. The required minimum TES for Nats is 68.0.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks, ice coverage.

I have been looking at the scores from the U.S. Pairs Final and it appears that the top five had a TES that exceeded the minimum requirement. Chan/Howe finished in 6th place with a TES of 67.64, just under the minimum. But I believe they had a TES just above 68 at the previous regional comp. So I assume the top 7 will all be at Nationals.

https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2020/28846/index.asp

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks, ice coverage.

I have been looking at the scores from the U.S. Pairs Final and it appears that the top five had a TES that exceeded the minimum requirement. Chan/Howe finished in 6th place with a TES of 67.64, just under the minimum. But I believe they had a TES just above 68 at the previous regional comp. So I assume the top 7 will all be at Nationals.

https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2020/28846/index.asp

Hi, Paul. :ghug:

You mean that the top 6 from the Final all will be at Nationals, right?

(Before seeing your post, I had been editing a lot of stuff re the outcome of the Final into my previous post.)

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
My understanding is that, since all the pairs went to a single final rather than being split among 3 sectionals, the top 12 from this single final would qualify for Nationals if they met the TES minimum. So the top 6 this year should all be going to Narionals. I could certainly be wrong so, if anyone knows better, please correct me.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My understanding is that, since all the pairs went to a single final rather than being split among 3 sectionals, the top 12 from this single final would qualify for Nationals if they met the TES minimum. So the top 6 this year should all be going to Narionals. I could certainly be wrong so, if anyone knows better, please correct me.

:agree: Yes, yes, totally agree.

(In my previous post, I was obliquely referring to your typo of "top 7" from the Final -- when "top 6" surely is what you meant to write.
Please forgive my nitpicking. I think it is worthwhile in this case in order to prevent confusion for others.)

haribobo

On the Ice
SENIOR PAIRS VIA SECTIONALS

Serafini/Tran 162
Pfund/Santillan 161
Lockley/Prochnow 140
Mokhova/Mokhov 140
Timlen/Highgate-Brutman 140
Chan/Howe 139

INTL BYES BY ISU SB

Cain-Gribble/Leduc 205
Knierim/Knierim 202
Denney/Frazier 199
Calalang/Johnson 191
Kayne/O'Shea 178
Lu/Mitrofanov 168
Digerness/Neudecker 134

ETA D/N, thanks!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… INTL BYES BY ISU SB

Cain-Gribble/Leduc 205
Knierim/Knierim 202
Denney/Frazier 199
Calalang/Johnson 191
Kayne/O'Shea 178
Lu/Mitrofanov 168

I believe Digerness/Neudecker also have an international bye to Nats -- b/c of their international assignment (Warsaw Cup) that was a schedule conflict with the U.S. Pairs Final.
(They have the TES minimum for Nats from Midwestern Sectionals.)

Nathan13

Medalist
Congratulations to Calalang/Johnson, for winner their first international GOLD at Warsaw Cup!! :yay: I see them as the dark horse for the podium at Nationals

Joubabe

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I just saw the start order for NHK. Does anyone know why Kinierms are in the first group and Kayne/OShea are in the second group? Don’t Kinierems have the higher world ranking?