2019-20 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I doubt the US will have 1 spot for 2022. CG/L and C/J are seeded 7th and 8th going into 2020 Sr. Worlds and we have a total of 4 pairs (post Knierims would also include D/F and K/O) that could easily attain top 10 at Worlds in the foreseeable future. I don't see any of them dropping precipitously. Then L/M and S/T have ended this past season on high notes: L/M I believe achieved a PB at Challenge Cup, and P/S at Nationals showed they moved up to the next level. Also, we a Jr. Pair or two with potential like Balazs / Nagy and TJ +partner.

US pairs as a group have more depth than I've seen in decades.

I did not know the US so was so strong in pairs. Honestly, I knew Alexa was a good pairs skater but certainly did not kow she is like better KMT, and up their with Sui, Aliona, Kavaguti and better than Stolvova. And if they are ranked 7th 8th then all really takes is one Chinese, KMT /M or a Russian team to slip up with the Italians clearly beatable three spots has a decent shot. Go USA - they could be the only nation with a complete team of three competitors in each event.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, I haven't forgotten any of that. It's just that over the last week, my "thinking out loud" here has evolved. I was initially so relieved for Chris that I sort of embraced Alexa's quest for a new partner, and she said she's aiming for 2022 and implied that that will be it. But as we've all thought it through here and elsewhere, I realized the implications for everyone. If Alexa wants to try for 2022 Beijing then retire (have a baby, skate with Chris in shows, coach) then I think the best option is to get a partner who's young enough to benefit from the partnership, get some maturity and leaps forward in skills, and then have plenty of time to still pursue his pairs goals. I'm back to TJ Nyman. He's skated pairs for a few years now.

But I'm thinking Alexa has time, because it usually takes time. Even Aljona had to have four years with Bruno to achieve her results.

In all honesty, what makes sense to me from outside (since I am not and never will be in this situation) is for them to take a honeymoon, assuming they still haven't gotten to have one, have him get into treatment, therapy and medication, have her continue training, try out a partner if one should come up, and re evaluate at some point. Loss of interest in activities is one of the first classic signs of depression. It seems he has experienced others as well - feelings of guilt, difficulty concentrating (stopping in middle of short program with lost look on face), tired/little energy. I think I've mentioned this but just stopping skating is not going to "fix" this like it would fix a physical injury and they probably don't really have a reason to know that. I have a Master's degree in counseling now, but I once spent an entire college semester in bed barely able to get up enough energy to go to the bathroom. Fortunately my college let me WD all my classes (of course it took me an extra semester to graduate). I had always been a good student but I JUST DID NOT CARE. Life isn't perfect now but it is much much better. He may (or may not) decide he actually wants to skate competitively again, or recreationally or in ice shows. I'm more worried about their money at this point as they had to already sell most of their stuff to move, and even though they would have gotten back their funding now that he has retired I'm guessing she doesn't get it on her own? Maybe if he needs inpatient treatment USFS will pay for it like they did with Gracie? She almost killed herself and now I'm worried about him. I don't think there is medical insurance for figure skaters or part time figure skating coaches (please tell me I'm wrong here).

Makemi

Rinkside
Nick McCarvel interviewed both Alexa and Chris on the latest IceTalk Podcast. It's on spotify and Apple Podcast. Their interview starts at around 50:48. Chris gives more insight into what caused his decision, Alexa's feelings, and their dreams for the future. I found it a very heartwarming interview.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nick McCarvel interviewed both Alexa and Chris on the latest IceTalk Podcast. It's on spotify and Apple Podcast. Their interview starts at around 50:48. Chris gives more insight into what caused his decision, Alexa's feelings, and their dreams for the future. I found it a very heartwarming interview.

It started me off bawling again.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did not know the US so was so strong in pairs. Honestly, I knew Alexa was a good pairs skater but certainly did not kow she is like better KMT, and up their with Sui, Aliona, Kavaguti and better than Stolvova. And if they are ranked 7th 8th then all really takes is one Chinese, KMT /M or a Russian team to slip up with the Italians clearly beatable three spots has a decent shot. Go USA - they could be the only nation with a complete team of three competitors in each event.

I'm glad you wrote this post. It reminds me that some of the folks posting here haven't yet gotten the full picture of just where US pairs are.

This is the table for mean scores for international pairs -- total, and in various categories, including things like skating skills, transitions, etc.
https://skatingscores.com/pairs/

This link, and the one below, offer a more objective look at how our pairs have actually performed this season internationally ... rather than looking only at nationals. Which are very important IMO, but not the only thing. :)

And here's another table that shows a different view (vertical list) of this season's mean total scores, TES, and PCS. Notice where Ashley and Tim, and our other pairs are, currently. It's pretty cool. :cool: https://skatingscores.com/preview/pairs/long/

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My favorite moment in the interview with Nick McCarvel: when Alexa said how much more light-hearted and normal Chris became, even on the ice, as soon as he'd made the decision -- or maybe after the announcement -- to retire and that burden had been lifted. She got him back, and even more importantly, IMO, Chris got himself back.

ETA: oh yes. And also the part where Chris pointed out that not everyone's figure skating career ends in a triumphant moment like the Olympics or the best skate they've ever skated. And it's okay. Just as important are the high points along the way.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Calalang/Johnson, who have won the 2020 Best Performance Award (Pairs) for their FS at Nats. :yay:

Today's announcement from Professional Skaters Association:

... I'd seen your post about Nate working with possible pairs girls(s). So yeah, we don't know for sure that he's available. ...

Although I don't remember posting about Nate's post-Deanna status in another thread and/or in an earlier timeframe, maybe I did and just forgot. :hopelessness: :laugh:
You have a good memory. :cool:
In any case, yes, I think it is questionable as to whether he even would be available to skate with Alexa.

FWIW, re Balazs Nagy:

In Kate Finster's Instagram post after Junior Worlds, she wrote about her excitement at turning senior with him.

(Chris retired before Junior Worlds.)​

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My favorite moment in the interview with Nick McCarvel: when Alexa said how much more light-hearted and normal Chris became, even on the ice, as soon as he'd made the decision -- or maybe after the announcement -- to retire and that burden had been lifted. She got him back, and even more importantly, IMO, Chris got himself back.

ETA: oh yes. And also the part where Chris pointed out that not everyone's figure skating career ends in a triumphant moment like the Olympics or the best skate they've ever skated. And it's okay. Just as important are the high points along the way.

He has his motorcycle up for sale.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Dang between Denney and Frazier and the Knierims ending their partnerships we have lost the teams with arguably the best throws in the US (and at times the world). :sad21:

dancelion21

On the Ice
Dang between Denney and Frazier and the Knierims ending their partnerships we have lost the teams with arguably the best throws in the US (and at times the world). :sad21:

Methinks that Brandon and Alexa combine forces to continue the strong pair elements. [emoji57]

I’m betting a thousand imaginary dollars that Brandon and Alexa are going to announce a partnership very soon...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Methinks that Brandon and Alexa combine forces to continue the strong pair elements. [emoji57]

I’m betting a thousand imaginary dollars that Brandon and Alexa are going to announce a partnership very soon...

This is what I said.

Skatefan15

On the Ice

Woah I hadn’t thought of that:shocked:

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Sad to hear about Haven & Brandon, they had such a great season and that Lion King free skate was fantastic. But, I'm very happy to see that they've parted on good terms and wish them both the best!

I do wonder if we'll be getting an Alexa & Brandon partnership announcement soon. It's the perfect opportunity for her and personally I think they'd make a great team.

twirlingaround

Rinkside
Sad to hear about Haven & Brandon, they had such a great season and that Lion King free skate was fantastic. But, I'm very happy to see that they've parted on good terms and wish them both the best!

I do wonder if we'll be getting an Alexa & Brandon partnership announcement soon. It's the perfect opportunity for her and personally I think they'd make a great team.
I will miss Haven and Brandon but would love to see an Alexa and Brandon partnership happen. ������

heartyxo

On the Ice
I think that Alexa and Brandon would be a pretty good team— no one thought of it but now that it has come up, there’s lots of potential. They were both the strengths of their teams and Brandon could be the US pair guy who is the most like Chris, body-shape wise.

I’ll miss Haven if she retires, I really enjoyed their partnership. But I think since her knee injury she has never been able to fully comeback and that’s hindered them. At least they ended it with such a good GP season. It’s nice that they’re an off ice couple too and that doesn’t seem affected.

noskates

Record Breaker
I must say that for me there was always something missing with Denney and Frazier. They had the pairs moves down pretty good but I found nothing exciting about them. I remember early on comparing them to Denney and Coughlin and there just wasn't any comparison. It was almost like they were always playing it too safe. If Brandon continues and if he does end up partnering with Alexa Scimeca it could be very interesting. She has so much more vitality about her than Haven and he's strong and stable - and he can land those pesky triples.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I must say that for me there was always something missing with Denney and Frazier. They had the pairs moves down pretty good but I found nothing exciting about them. I remember early on comparing them to Denney and Coughlin and there just wasn't any comparison. It was almost like they were always playing it too safe. If Brandon continues and if he does end up partnering with Alexa Scimeca it could be very interesting. She has so much more vitality about her than Haven and he's strong and stable - and he can land those pesky triples.

Realistically this is the both Alexa and Brandon's best hope. Experienced skaters. Both have off ice partners who are or were skaters. That experience will help them gain respect and work on the skating partnership Quicker. we'll see.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Digerness/Neudecker partnership has ended. :(

Danny posted a thank-you message on Instagram today.

FWIW: In recent Instastories, looks as if he has been training with someone other than Nica. But I am *not* saying that these snippets are official confirmation of a new partnership for him.