2019-20 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Laiken had an injury over the summer -- she was on crutches and in a boot.

She now is back on the ice :), but I think Keenan and she unfortunately lost a significant amount of training time.

I'm sorry to hear she was injured, but happy to hear she's back on the ice. I look forward to their return to competition. Thanks for the information. :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's true that lifts, twists and throws are the biggest point getters. I guess my point was that all the elements contribute points, and it's all about what they add up to. I'm also coming to think the judges think rather differently about pairs elements than many fans do. It's true that I have a different idea than many fans do about the effect of SBS jumps. I've been at 2 events (2016 nationals and 2019 nationals) where all but 1 (2016) or 2 (2019) couples fell on their jumps. When that happens for the whole session, it's truly thrilling when a pair does them all without falling, and in beautiful unison, and with some relationship to the music; it's very effective. But that's me ... I'm as impressed by unison and emotion as I am by lifts and throws, although I love all the pairs elements.

Quoting my own post.:noshake: :rolleye: :laugh: In 2016, it was Tarah and Danny who skated both their programs without falls. In 2019, it was Audrey:luv17:and Misha, and then the big finish .... Ashley:luv17:and Tim.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a great Fan Zone Ice Desk about the 3 US pairs competing in SA. From 2.30 minutes to 11.30 minutes they're talking about Ashley and Tim ... mostly it's Brooke Castile and Sinead Kerr explaining about their strengths and how overcoming their difficulties, while focusing on their positives, has made them such a compelling pair. Plenty of appreciation also for Haven/Brandon and Jessica/Brian also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wexRzqhE-10

And here's an article about Ashley and Tim: https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019...target-world-top-5-starting-at-skate-america/

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Posted in their Fan Fest, but there is a new interview with Alexa and Chris:

With new outlook and new coaching team, Knierims look ahead

Some highlights for me:

confirmation from Alexa and Chris on when and how they work with Rafael A. for jumps. Very interesting. They have quite the team:)

they know some are writing them off as the old married couple, but they want to use that to their advantage.

Chris injured himself on a cool lift, and he knew it was hurt, but he kept going, because, well, it was cool:laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm sorry to hear she was injured, but happy to hear she's back on the ice. I look forward to their return to competition. Thanks for the information. :)

Update re Laiken Lockley's return to competition:

A few days ago, she placed fifth in Senior Ladies at Upper Great Lakes Regionals.

Last season, she placed fourth in Junior Ladies at regionals, and went on to compete at Midwestern Sectionals both in Junior Ladies and in Junior Pairs (which L/P won).

(BTW, I believe that Laiken has qualified in the ladies discipline again for this year's Midwestern Sectionals, which will take place alongside the U.S. Pairs Final.
Maxine Marie Bautista, who placed first at UGL, has a bye to sectionals because of her NQS placement.)​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If my eyes do not deceive me, Ian Meyh is in the second photo at the link below -- skating with a partner. Anyone know who she is?

His partner in the photo is wearing Halloween make-up (and the whole post is about Halloween), so I assume that the photo was shot today (as well as posted today).

(Lest anyone come after me, I do realize that one photo is not proof of a permanent partnership.)

p.s. Happy Halloween to one and all. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
She's tagged as Nina Ouellete. If it's the same girl she has an ISU bio so she must have been a decent singles skater.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054594.htm

Thanks. :thank: (She was not tagged earlier.)

Interesting … partly because the partnership of Patrick Frohling (also known as a singles skater) and Nina was on the entry list for novice pairs at one of the USFS regionals within the last few weeks -- which had piqued my curiosity -- but then they withdrew.
I do remember Nina as a singles skater, and that entry list was my first awareness of her involvement in pairs.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chris injured himself on a cool lift, and he knew it was hurt, but he kept going, because, well, it was cool:laugh:

I loved that lift, but I guess it was one of those things ... enjoy it for its short time in the sun. :) I don't want to see them do it again, for sure. That was a good article. Interesting that they're going to two classes a week with Raf, in addition to their two private lessons with him. All those opportunities they mentioned certainly indicates that Southern Cal is becoming a great resource for skaters.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, I've been puzzling over why Alexa would think people write them off because they're married. I can think of more plausible reasons to find other US Pairs more compelling. But they're skating reasons, nothing to do with marriage. However, I think Alexa in particular will really benefit this year from not having the pressure of being front runners. As so many skaters have said, it's so much harder to be the pursued than the pursuers.

This next is tangential, and not completely to do with Alexa and Chris, but partly to do with them. How do other pairs fans feel about programs that are self-referential? I think this is why I don't find their Beyonce SP relatable. Although it might be because they don't so much portray the music as they rely on everyone's knowledge that they're a romantic married couple to do the work for them. For me, A/C aren't living it in the skate. On the other hand, I absolutely loved their Ghost the Musical skate, and also their Your Song SP that year. I wonder why? The romance/performance seemed more in the moment to me. It might be partly because Julie Marcotte knew them well, they'd worked with her for years. That could have been an advantage. Perhaps more importantly, A/C skated with more intensity because of Alexa's near-fatal illness earlier that year. And I do love intensity, whether singles, pairs or dance.

I'll also say that even with all-time greats Gordeeva and Grinkov, I found their self-referential Moonlight Sonata (Katia told the story of the program; it was G/G story) didn't work quite as well for me as pretty much everything else they skated to. For instance, their two romance/married love programs that I love the most are Porgy & Bess, where they were also portraying characters, and Vocalise, where they portrayed what if a Rodin sculpture came to life?

If anyone feels this is an appropriate topic, I'd be interested in hearing your views. :) I didn't feel it was quite right for their FF or anywhere else, except possibly a new Edge thread? Let me know what you think, please. I'll go with the consensus and make an Edge thread if that's better. :)

Nathan13

Medalist
So, I've been puzzling over why Alexa would think people write them off because they're married. I can think of more plausible reasons to find other US Pairs more compelling. But they're skating reasons, nothing to do with marriage. However, I think Alexa in particular will really benefit this year from not having the pressure of being front runners. As so many skaters have said, it's so much harder to be the pursued than the pursuers.

This next is tangential, and not completely to do with Alexa and Chris, but partly to do with them. How do other pairs fans feel about programs that are self-referential? I think this is why I like don't find their Beyonce SP relatable. Although it might be because they don't so much portray the music as they rely on everyone's knowledge that they're a romantic married couple to do the work for them. For me, A/C aren't living it in the skate. On the other hand, I absolutely loved their Ghost the Musical skate, and also their Your Song SP that year. I wonder why? The romance/performance seemed more in the moment to me. It might be partly because Julie Marcotte knew them well, they'd worked with her for years. That could have been an advantage. Perhaps more importantly, A/C skated with more intensity because of Alexa's near-fatal illness earlier that year. And I do love intensity, whether singles, pairs or dance.

I'll also say that even with all-time greats Gordeeva and Grinkov, I found their self-referential Moonlight Sonata (Katia told the story of the program; it was G/G story) didn't work quite as well for me as pretty much everything else they skated to. For instance, their two romance/married love programs that I love the most are Porgy & Bess, where they were also portraying characters, and Vocalise, where they portrayed what if a Rodin sculpture came to life?

If anyone feels this is an appropriate topic, I'd be interested in hearing your views. :) I didn't feel it was quite right for their FF or anywhere else, except possibly a new Edge thread? Let me know what you think, please. I'll go with the consensus and make an Edge thread if that's better. :)

I'll probably regret giving my opinion, but honestly I am so sick Alexa and Chris's *We're in love* programs. Ugh. Please stop. We get it, you're married and you love each other. For me their programs have all run together, and they do them no favors. I usually prefer instrumental programs, but I was honestly thinking that I'd love to see them skate to something like Frankie Valli/The Four Seasons, or some kind of classic rock--honestly anything that would bring some energy to their programs, because I feel that's what they are lacking. Something with a beat would be most welcome--not just for them but for the Pairs field as a whole.

Having said that, I think they are on a great trajectory for the year and poised to regain their National title. But I don't like their programs :bang:

oly2018

Final Flight

This next is tangential, and not completely to do with Alexa and Chris, but partly to do with them. How do other pairs fans feel about programs that are self-referential? I think this is why I like don't find their Beyonce SP relatable. Although it might be because they don't so much portray the music as they rely on everyone's knowledge that they're a romantic married couple to do the work for them. For me, A/C aren't living it in the skate. On the other hand, I absolutely loved their Ghost the Musical skate, and also their Your Song SP that year. I wonder why? The romance/performance seemed more in the moment to me. It might be partly because Julie Marcotte knew them well, they'd worked with her for years. That could have been an advantage. Perhaps more importantly, A/C skated with more intensity because of Alexa's near-fatal illness earlier that year. And I do love intensity, whether singles, pairs or dance.

I think Alexa is misunderstanding people's criticism of them. I don't care that they are married, but I don't like how a majority of their programs rely on telling a love story. There are plenty of married or openly dating pairs/ice dance teams, but they don't all rely on it for a majority of their programs. In their defense, USFS tends to market them as "the married couple" and I don't think that helps people's perception of them. Alexa and Chris have either chosen to have their partnership be defined by their personal relationship or it has been marketed to us that way.

I also don't think they have ever really been written off. People constantly talk about how they are the US pair with the most potential. Even when they aren't doing all that well. If anything, every other U.S. pair team has had to fight to be taken seriously. Do Alexa and Chris have the most explosive pairs elements? Generally, yes. Are they the most impressive performers? In my opinion, no. It is (or should be) easy to be in love with your spouse in a performance.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll probably regret giving my opinion,

I hope you don't have cause to regret giving an honest opinion here! For one thing, I'm glad to know it isn't just me.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Funny how words can impact folks so differently. :think:

In no way, shape or form did I take Alexa’s quote to mean she and Chris were counted out due to their marriage. I read “old married couple” as part of a run-on modifier. If I call myself an old married lady (which I am;) ) to me, that’s just emphasizing old and stodgy and settled, but not at all emphasizing the relationship. Anyway, that’s how I read it, they think we’re old and settled and they discount us.

And I’m glad they’re fighting back:hap85:

Last edited:

Nathan13

Medalist
There are plenty of married or openly dating pairs/ice dance teams, but they don't all rely on it for a majority of their programs. In their defense, USFS tends to market them as "the married couple" and I don't think that helps people's perception of them.
I.e. Chock and Bates :hap10:
I hope you don't have cause to regret giving an honest opinion here! For one thing, I'm glad to know it isn't just me.
You just never know on this forum :confused2:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will also jump in and say that never did I get the impression that Chris and Alexa were playing on their relationship or that they had too many lovey dovey programs. In fact, quite the opposite, they were criticized for not portraying that emotion enough :laugh:

And I will play the old married lady card: just cause you are in it, does not mean it is easy to portray it ;)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I see a program where the partners show romantic chemistry, I'm not thinking of "lovey-dovey." I think there's a lot of tension and drama, exciting moments and insecure moments, in romantic love, and that's part of what I'm interested in re-experiencing and celebrating. Not necessarily Romeo/Juliet kind of drama, but everyday drama.

I'd rather see via their skating why we should care whether or not they're a couple, rather than feeling like they're banking on it. But I agree that they're on an upswing and their chances this year look good, even if their programs aren't my personal taste. I also agree (with @Nathan13, above) that I'd like to see something upbeat or rock from them. Alexa thrives (in my opinion) in the programs where there's something edgy and powerful. That's when it shows that Chris is there for her and will bring his best too, in his more laid-back way.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. And thanks to anyone and everyone who might yet have an angle or viewpoint to talk about. :) would love to hear.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good skating and good luck to Tarah and Danny, who will be skating in the Cup of China tomorrow and Saturday! :cheer: And good luck starting with practices today. :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought I would invite everyone to say what you think about US Pairs chances for nationals, 4cc, worlds. What do you think of their programs (the technical aspects and/or performance aspects) and why? we've seen our (currently) top five couples' programs, and this week-end at RC we'll see Audrey Lu/Misha Mitrofanov.

What do you think of everyone's prospects, and how much will depend on performances on the day?

What have you particularly enjoyed (or not) in the US pairs skating during this Grand Prix season?

How do you see US pairs creating momentum from their GP successes? How do you see pairs who're disappointed with their GP results creating motivation going forward? Which circumstances will be to whose favor, and how can each of our pairs use to their advantage something that might seem to be a disadvantage?

Will pairs like Nica Digerness/Danny Neudecker and Olivia Serafini / Mervin Tran, (and others?) make a statement? Do you see any dark horses for nationals?

Or you can ask your own questions, and answer them. :)

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
In response to above, some random thoughts about the season so far:

1. Denney/Frazier seem to be on an upward trajectory. She appears nearly recovered from her injury; much better knee bend in the jumps than we saw last season. I see them as right in the mix for a Worlds spot & certainly on the 4CC team.

2. Cain/Leduc: The good news is that they're now scoring well internationally on the second mark; judges are giving them their due. But worrisome are the tech errors that seem to becoming more frequent. I still see them as the #1 U.S. pair & think their "body of work" should put them on the Worlds team, unless they have a total meltdown at Nationals.

3. Knierims: Jumps are a little better, but I'm not seeing their usual "wow" in the twist & lifts. I've loved them for years, but I think they're in trouble as far as making Worlds.

4. The others: I see the likely #4 as Calalang/Johnson; quite good at Skate America. Haven't seen Nica/Danny this year; liked them very much last year. As for Olivia/Mervin, I just can't invest in them emotionally until he gets serious about citizenship.