2019-20 Japanese Men's Figure Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese Men's Figure Skating

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Shoma Uno decided not to compete at 4CC so he can get used to his new training environment in Switzerland. Kazuki Tomono will take his place! https://twitter.com/0409_Obi/status/1214112550389874688?s=19

This comes on the same day Kazuki finally managed to skate a clean(ish) SP at Intercollegiate, getting a 87.06, his highest SP score ever.

Yaaaay. Kazuki at 4CC!!! Best news ever. Sad we won't see Shoma at 4CC, but happy Kazuki will be there :)

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
Shoma Uno decided not to compete at 4CC so he can get used to his new training environment in Switzerland. Kazuki Tomono will take his place! https://twitter.com/0409_Obi/status/1214112550389874688?s=19

This comes on the same day Kazuki finally managed to skate a clean(ish) SP at Intercollegiate, getting a 87.06, his highest SP score ever.

This was unexpected! Sad that Shoma won't be there but at the same time I'm extremely happy that Kazuki's season is not over!!!

skatenewbie

Medalist
This will be really good opportunity for Yuzu to get the gold. I think Nathan will skip it like he did last year

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This will be really good opportunity for Yuzu to get the gold. I think Nathan will skip it like he did last year

Yup, with Shoma out, and if Nathan skips, it should be an easy win. Boyang could threaten if he gets his groove back which he hasn't for quite a while. Zhou is also a big question mark, but he pulled 299 at the 2019 World Team Trophy last April, which is enough to defeat Hanyu on a bad day. I think Hanyu will be motivated to get the gold, and will perform better without the pressure of competing against Uno and Chen.

Glad to see Kazuki gets another competition!

KiraraChin

Medalist
Just a heads up, Kazuki Tomono won the Intercollegiate Championship with a total score of 244.80, more than 30 higher than Mitsuki Sumoto's score (208.35), who took second place.

Kazuki popped one of his axels and doubled a couple of jumps in the free, but overall he landed all his four quads in this competition (two in the SP and FS), and there were no falls. He is more than ready for 4CC :biggrin:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Just want to report that Kazuki Tomono landed the quad loop in practice :clap:
https://twitter.com/KiraraChin/status/1218121987261980672

ETA: Saw this tally of Japanese Men's quads - the ones in brackets are landed in practice only, and the question marks are those who are reported rather than seen on video (please let me know if it's wrong):

Shoma Uno: 4T 4S 4Lo 4F (4Lz?)
Yuzuru Hanyu: 4T 4S 4Lo 4Lz (4F?)
Yuma Kagiyama [Jr]: 4T (4S)
Keiji Tanaka: 4T 4S
Shun Sato [Jr] 4T 4S 4Lz (4Lo)
Kazuki Tomono: 4T 4S (4Lo)
Sota Yamamoto: 4T 4S
Koshiro Shimada 4T (4S? 4Lz?)

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Congrats Yuma! Youth Olympic Games champion and 4CC bronze medallist!! :hap85:

Also, Shun won Bavarian Open!
Yuto came in 3rd :)

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
As reported in Sota Yamamoto's fanfest thread, their coach Yusuke Hayashi was arrested for unlicensed driving.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
As reported in Sota Yamamoto's fanfest thread, their coach Yusuke Hayashi was arrested for unlicensed driving.

Hayashi has also been Keiji's coach for years. I hope things turn out well for both boys :[ Does anyone have an idea what happens to Hayashi in this situation? Does he have to face jailtime, or will he just have to pay a fine and face a disciplinary court? I have no knowledge of the Japanese law on this.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Hayashi has also been Keiji's coach for years. I hope things turn out well for both boys :[ Does anyone have an idea what happens to Hayashi in this situation? Does he have to face jailtime, or will he just have to pay a fine and face a disciplinary court? I have no knowledge of the Japanese law on this.

According to this Nikkan Sports article: https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202004180000541.html (Japanese only)
Hayashi was arrested in Hyogo Prefecture on April 18. Apparently he was driving without a valid license and caught failing to stop at a stop sign. His license was taken away in 2017 "due to a traffic violation," but he had previously applied to have one reissued, claiming he had mislaid it. It all sounds rather odd - I don't know how he could have got away with that. I have no idea if he will go to prison or just be fined, but he clearly has some explaining to do. I feel sorry for his students.

KiraraChin

Medalist
JSF announced their funding list for the 2020-21 season: https://twitter.com/tsuyoboogie/status/1253286455373254659

I am very surprised that Keiji was downgraded from Special funding to Group A, since he did well in the GP series and made the Worlds team. One could argue that Shun deserved to be in Special funding too, as reigning JGPF champion. I don't understand why they have only 3 Men in Special funding, compared to 5 Ladies...

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I think it's because of the international medals that Satoko and Kaori have brought, but I could be mistaken.
There tend to be some modifications to the list later in the summer - or this time, maybe in the Autumn. Some predict Shun and Koshiro will move one level up.
I feel for Keiji too, this year has to be hard for him. He's always had many shows and Special funding to earn money, now he doesn't have either. But then, all athletes are struggling... I hope he keeps skating.

KiraraChin

Medalist
I don't know, the funding should be based on the performance of the previous season. As much as I love Kaori, the fact is that by all accounts Keiji did better than her - he placed 4th at Nats while she placed 6th, he medalled at a GP event and she didn't, he made the Worlds team and she didn't.

The fair thing to do IMO would be to downgrade Kaori instead of Keiji (sorry, Kao-chan!), thus having 4 men and 4 women in the Special Group.