2019-20 Japanese Men's Figure Skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese Men's Figure Skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was wondering does anyone know what happened to Shoma? Was it injury or... He was getting so close to beating Yuzuru and now he would be lucky to make worlds. I don't really understand why he sort of has gone coachless. It dosn't really work as we've seen with Kwan, Chan. Lambiel does seem to be the new flavor of the season. Suddenly you see him everywhere. We haven't seen tremendous results as to podium finishes but you can see potential with his skaters. Still with hanyu at the helm Japan will have no problems. I am curious why Daisuke doesn't skate competitively outside of Japan. I assume he has an extreme joy of skating and likes skating but knows he isn't the same as before or the push for quads is so much it is hard to be competitive. But I assume he would be similar to Jason Brown - such beauitul skating that he sttill is a threat for top six and with a quad even podium right now. Japan has a fairly strong group of men after Hanyu. All capable skaters especially with not a lot of consistency after Hanyu and Nathan.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Shun, what a skate :bow:
Simply incredible, I certainly did not expect him to skate like that after his jgp season. :reye:
A very very well deserved win!
Mr. Sato is now a legitimate podium threat for nationals, oh wow.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sato kind of got by on base value through his JGP events, but that turns out to have been the warmup he needed to do it all flawlessly in the Final. Impressive.

And he's in good company as the fourth Japanese man to win the JGP Final, after Kozuka, Hanyu and Uno.

jackiej13

Spectator
I wonder if Shun will go senior next year. He should be securely within the top of the season's bests and i think JGPF champion and junior worlds medallists get some preference, so I think he could get two GP spots reasonably easily (with JSF support)

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Shun is still a baby, no? I'm still leery of the thought of Yuma potentially going senior, much less halfway-through-first-junior-season Shun. I'd rather he stay junior and gain some more accolades and polish than risk getting buried in the midst like so many non Yuzu/Shoma Japanese men seem to do. His team knows best though!

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
The time has definitely come for Daisuke Takahashi to stop jumping.

But I do hope he continues dancing for a long time to come.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Well he was retiring anyway but one bad competition shouldnā€™t be enough to make such statements.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Shun wants to go to Senior worlds by the way he skated.
I love his attitude of attack. Adding that 4T on because it felt good in practice put him in 3rd place!

Yuma's beautiful quality of skating and the holding the edge after his jumps is :luv17: The little lapse on the 3A was a shame.

Yuzu and Shoma show everyone how it's done!

Both faced a lot of hardship this season. -Yuzu with a punishing competition schedule and Shoma rebuilding his coaching team and environment, but they did so well.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I don't know what possessed me to lurk in this thread but OMG I DISCOVERED SHUN FROM HERE AND HE IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!

What an exciting and charming skater!!!!!

I was just reading your comments and decided to look up his JGPF program to see what the fuss is and he is absolutely wonderful!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I love his attitude of attack. Adding that 4T on because it felt good in practice put him in 3rd place!

Yuma's beautiful quality of skating and the holding the edge after his jumps is :luv17: The little lapse on the 3A was a shame.

Yuzu and Shoma show everyone how it's done!

Both faced a lot of hardship this season. -Yuzu with a punishing competition schedule and Shoma rebuilding his coaching team and environment, but they did so well.

He doesn't currently have any senior tech minimums, so they'd have to send him out to get them. There would be time before worlds, but I'm not sure about 4CCs.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
So good to see Shoma skating well and looking happy and relaxed.

His excited jumping up and down reaction after his SP was adorable.

Only a few points behind Yuzu, who was sublime as always.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Well he was retiring anyway but one bad competition shouldnā€™t be enough to make such statements.

The skate and his post-skate interview. He knows better than anyone that his tank is empty as a competitive singles skater.

But my god, what an incredible aura he exuded in the first 30 seconds. If he can bring that to ice dancing, then I'm really excited to see what he and Kana can do.

In the meantime, really looking forward to the free, regardless of the score.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I was wondering does anyone know what happened to Shoma? Was it injury or... He was getting so close to beating Yuzuru and now he would be lucky to make worlds. I don't really understand why he sort of has gone coachless.

He missed the podium at the world championships and he disappointed his team, which was why he left his old coach. He was about to join Team Tutberidze but he didn't like her strict coaching style. After that he couldn't find a new coach in time for the new season. I guess Lambiel is the best fit, who also coaches Shiraiwa.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
He doesn't currently have any senior tech minimums, so they'd have to send him out to get them. There would be time before worlds, but I'm not sure about 4CCs.

Oh, I don't seriously mean he'll go to Senior Worlds.
But he skates as if he wants to. ;)

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan

On the rebroadcast on the main Fuji TV show, they said he didn't even tell his coach he was doing that.

If he does finish third, they should seriously consider giving him that third senior worlds spot. Cagey Tanaka is not the guy that needs the experience for 2022.

readernick

Medalist
So good to see Shoma skating well and looking happy and relaxed.

His excited jumping up and down reaction after his SP was adorable.

Only a few points behind Yuzu, who was sublime as always.

I did not think that Lambiel would be the best coach for Shoma, but I appear to have been mistaken. Had he done at 3T rather then 2T in his combination he would have basically tied Yuzuru in TES. Lambiel really seems to have helped him check his landings ( which has always been the issue with his jumps), and Shoma seems to be paying attention to levels on his spins and step sequences. He is a great spinner and has great SS, but he was occasionally sloppy in execution previously. I hope this trend continues. I am glad that I was wrong about this coaching change.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
It's pretty funny how the JSF forbids the crowd from giving Hanyu his well deserved post-performance golden shower.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power šŸ»
Record Breaker
He missed the podium at the world championships and he disappointed his team, which was why he left his old coach. He was about to join Team Tutberidze but he didn't like her strict coaching style. After that he couldn't find a new coach in time for the new season. I guess Lambiel is the best fit, who also coaches Shiraiwa.
So many inaccuracies and speculations in your post