2019-20 Japanese Men's Figure Skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese Men's Figure Skating

Tsurara

On the Ice
There's a lengthy Shoma interview article in today's Asahi Online ("Kiss and Cry" section), but I can't read it, because I'm not a paying subscriber. Any GSers out there who can access the article?
There is a link to the summary (short excerpts taken from the same interview but by another writer) and its translation posted in Shoma's fan fest thread thanks to rabidline. I'm a subscriber and read it all and they match, though it doesn't cover everything and some contexts are gone. (I'd say the whole article's for hard-core Shoma fans, not for everyone who may end up reading it in a way he didn't mean.)

That said, the same Japanese sports writer (who did the above summary tweets) was asking for people's opinions on their tweets a few days ago
https://twitter.com/beeeryo/status/1190795071790211072
-When reading comments by athletes on Twitter, which do you prefer, their raw words as they were uttered, even if it's hard to understand what they actually meant, or some edited ones for easier reading? I'm usually the latter, trying to keep corrections/edits to the minimum. But if the majority wants the former, I'll change it (the tweeting style to suit people's preference).

The result, as you can see, 90% of the votes chose the former. It may get even more confusing for Google-translater users to follow their news tweets.

KiraraChin

Medalist
I wondered about that too. Kazuki hasn't had the best start to the season, but give the guy a chance...
Actually I'd say Kazuki's season has been hit and miss so far. He started strong at Gensan Summer Cup, then struggled at Lombardia and Kinki, delivered a good result at SkAm, now did OK at Western Sectionals. Let's see what he does at CoR!

And yes, I will mention Kazuki here since he's relevant to the thread ;)

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Actually I'd say Kazuki's season has been hit and miss so far. He started strong at Gensan Summer Cup, then struggled at Lombardia and Kinki, delivered a good result at SkAm, now did OK at Western Sectionals. Let's see what he does at CoR!

And yes, I will mention Kazuki here since he's relevant to the thread ;)

Semantics, KiaraChin. He hasn't been consistent, which some fans (maybe the author of the snarky remark) may consider disappointing. Since he's been reworking his technique and very much upping his game, it's no surprise that it's been up and down for him. Is he a late season skater?

KiraraChin

Medalist
Semantics, KiaraChin. He hasn't been consistent, which some fans (maybe the author of the snarky remark) may consider disappointing. Since he's been reworking his technique and very much upping his game, it's no surprise that it's been up and down for him. Is he a late season skater?

Lol the author of those snarky remarks is no Kazuki fan, believe me :p

I'd say it's more that he's a late bloomer/slow burner. It took him a few years to find his groove in juniors, so it's only natural that the same will happen in seniors.

I do consider Milan 2018 the tail end of his peak as a junior (although he was technically a senior). Since then he's been doing a lot of groundwork to become a more mature, well-rounded skater. It might take a while longer, but I believe it will be worth the wait :)

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Keiji is also a late bloomer. The best results of his career at 24, almost 25 - respect. I am happy he proved wrong all those who made disaparaging remarks about him two seasons ago :)

KiraraChin

Medalist
Keiji is also a late bloomer. The best results of his career at 24, almost 25 - respect. I am happy he proved wrong all those who made disaparaging remarks about him two seasons ago :)

Exactly! That's a great example. Some skaters just need a bit more time to mature :)

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Oh Keiji...the stars aligned more perfectly for a birth in the GP Finals than you could have ever dreamed of, and you do that in the short... :palmf:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Junior nationals starts up this Friday!

Familiar names include: Yuma Kagiyama, Kao Miura, Shun Sato, Sena Miyake, Tatsuya Tsuboi, Yuto Kishina, Shingo Nishiyama!
First place earns a spot to Junior Worlds (maybe Youth Olympics too but I've not seen confirmation of this)

Shun has landed a 4Lz in domestic competition, Yuma has landed 4S and 3Lz-3Lo in practice.

I'm pretty excited. Good luck to all the skaters!

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Junior nationals starts up this Friday!

Familiar names include: Yuma Kagiyama, Kao Miura, Shun Sato, Sena Miyake, Tatsuya Tsuboi, Yuto Kishina, Shingo Nishiyama!
First place earns a spot to Junior Worlds (maybe Youth Olympics too but I've not seen confirmation of this)

Shun has landed a 4Lz in domestic competition, Yuma has landed 4S and 3Lz-3Lo in practice.

I'm pretty excited. Good luck to all the skaters!

Yikes, is Shingo still doing singles as well as ice dance?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yikes, is Shingo still doing singles as well as ice dance?

Yes, the junior ice dance and men’s sectionals were held at different times? (I don’t read Japanese, but I adore Utashin as an ice dance team, and Shingo too, so I follow them on IG and dope out what I can with Google translate).

I was surprised as well:shocked:

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wouldn't call it an applause of pity. I can only speak for myself, but when I see a performance like that and am in the audience, I feel worried and anxious, and just want to show appreciation to the skater for battling on, and to try and transfer the crowd's energy onto the struggling skater. It's definitely not pity that's at the forefront of my mind.
That said, I think I'd like for Shoma to find a Japanese coach who can give him kind and solid guidance and fix his confidence and jump issues at the same time. I like Lambiel, but Koshiro and Deniss aren't shining examples of solid jumps at the moment.

What I think Lambiel can bring is a level-headedness that will help Shoma sort out his situation. Stephane is very practical and can deliver tough love in a nice way.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Shingo Nishiyama qualified as Junior Men Single at Eastern Section (Oct 24-27) and
Junior Ice Dance with Utana Yoshida at Western Section (Nov 1-4).

He will compete both at National Junior (Nov 15-17).
Free Dance (Nov 16 16:35) and awards ceremony then
Men Short Program (Nov 16 17:30) are scheduled continuous time slots.

I'm watching with great interest to see how long he can keep competing in these two categories. So far he seems to be benefiting from it. :thumbsup:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Last 3 to go to decide the Jr men's champion:

Yuma 171.09, total: 251.01, into 1st now (landing 4Tx2 and one 3A, a clean program)
Shun attempted a 4Lz during 6-min warming up!

Shun 139.01, Total: 213.20 will take the silver (popped the 1st 4Lz attempt)

(For sure the Jr invited skaters to Nationals this year will make the competition quite interesting....)

Adding: Yuma's FS video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx4EvJJ8XoM&feature=emb_title (yes, definitely his Dad at the K&C...)

Adding 2: The following from top 6 will be invited to Nationals -

1 Yuma Kagiyama
2 Shun Sato
3 Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda
4 Tatsuya Tsuboi
5 Nozomu Yoshioka
6 Yuto Kishina

And Yuma Kagiyama also gets to compete at Youth Olympics (Sub: Shun Sato)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
After NHK, performance thoughts.

Yuzu, Sota and Koshiro have done their jump math. -I'm immensely proud of them for that. Considering how much zayaking and dropped combos we've seen this season, they had the plan B ready to go!

I see a lot of potential Sota's LP and Koshiro's SP, it's a matter of experience and conditioning now for them on the big stages. So I hope they continue to get that international exposure. They both have a lot going for them.

As Yuzu told them at the pre competition press conference, they can feel the gap between them and the world. Valuable experiences for both of them. I hope they can feel that though there is a bit of a gap, it's not by any means too big to cross.

-Yuzu continues to astound and amaze me. --Congrats on making the GPF and take care of yourself. :pray:

Last edited:

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
It's so exciting that the race for the third men's spot is so close this season. In terms of GP results, it's Keiji > Kazuki > Sota >Koshiro right now, but nothing's set in stone yet. (though Keiji tends to perform best at home) Plus there are Yuuma and Shun. wow. So much talent around.

Now, I don't really understand the technical aspects of skating, so I'll post my question here. Does anyone find Sota's jump technique 'strange'? I am just asking because both commentators on our TV said it was. Apparently his rotation is extremely fast and that's not common? I have to admit I haven't seen anything off about his jumps myself, neither do I recall having seen it mentioned anywhere, so I'm wondering if it's just those two individuals finding his technique weird.

Imagine

Medalist
I don't really follow Men's, but occasionally I will watch Yuzuru cause he's a god or w/e, but I just found it funny when he was in the Kiss & Cry, and his score is like 300+ after an epic FP, and that one coach is like "Meh, it's alright." Lol, need to know who that is.