2019-20 Japanese Men's Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese Men's Figure Skating

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
The fight for the third spot on the senior national team has just gotten more interesting. Especially since Koshiro is very likely to podium at, if not win Nebelhorn next week.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
The fight for the third spot on the senior national team has just gotten more interesting. Especially since Koshiro is very likely to podium at, if not win Nebelhorn next week.

eh i wouldn't be so confident, it will be an interesting battle for sure.

Yan Han will be there, you'd think he wants to do well in preparation for the next Olympics.

Nam Nguyen is inconsistent but he has quads.

Makar Ignatov recently showed up at the Test Skates in great form, he has very ambitious technical contents.

The two skaters from Israel Bychenko and Samohin also very inconsistent but sometimes they deliver.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

And that's very very good. During three seasons the field was hum....empty. But this season things will definitely be more interesting. Even juniors are dangerous.
Fortunately for Keiji, he had the time to improve without big competition and he looks ready to fight this season.

Gabby30

On the Ice
I just want to point out that Sota landed 4S-3T (a new quad combo) twice, attempted two quads in SP and three in FS, while he started to train quads again just 10 months ago.
Go Sota!:cheer:

And he landed all 3A's ! 😲

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Congrats to Yuma for getting silver and being pretty much a lock for JGPF. I may ultimately disagree with the final placement, but he skated marvelously. There's still a lot to improve and develop over the season, so fingers crossed he continues to skate wonderfully and have a great time 😄

surimi

Record Breaker
eh i wouldn't be so confident, it will be an interesting battle for sure.

Yan Han will be there, you'd think he wants to do well in preparation for the next Olympics.

Nam Nguyen is inconsistent but he has quads.

Makar Ignatov recently showed up at the Test Skates in great form, he has very ambitious technical contents.

The two skaters from Israel Bychenko and Samohin also very inconsistent but sometimes they deliver.

With Yan WD Koshiro's chance of snatching gold at Nebelhorn has just risen considerably. He's not superconsistent, but neither are Nam, Daniel and Alexei. I am not familiar with Ignatov so cannot comment on him. Anyway, I said he was very likely to win, not that his victory was certain. We'll see but my money is on Koshiro.

My simplified take on the Japanese men's field at the moment:
1. Yuzuru and Shoma, in a category of their own
2. Daisuke, on domestic stage. I am beginning to doubt he's going to compete internationally this season as he's said he was planning. Maybe if he's selected for Worlds...
3. the skaters who could all challenge for Nr. 3 spot internationally: Keiji, Koshiro, Sota and Kazuki.
4. Yuuma and Shun, the young challengers of all but Shoma and Yuzuru
5. the talented rest who won't have it easy this season - Mitsuki, Tatsuya, Kao, some will have to try harder to challenge the ones above (Yuuto, Sena, Taichiro)
6. the experienced 'oldest' group who are leaving (Hiroaki) or I suspect can be leaving after this season (Ryuju, Jun if he hasn't already)

Such an exciting season if all stay healthy, really looking forward to it. *_*

Gabby30

On the Ice
With Yan WD Koshiro's chance of snatching gold at Nebelhorn has just risen considerably. He's not superconsistent, but neither are Nam, Daniel and Alexei. I am not familiar with Ignatov so cannot comment on him. Anyway, I said he was very likely to win, not that his victory was certain. We'll see but my money is on Koshiro.

My simplified take on the Japanese men's field at the moment:
1. Yuzuru and Shoma, in a category of their own
2. Daisuke, on domestic stage. I am beginning to doubt he's going to compete internationally this season as he's said he was planning. Maybe if he's selected for Worlds...
3. the skaters who could all challenge for Nr. 3 spot internationally: Keiji, Koshiro, Sota and Kazuki.
4. Yuuma and Shun, the young challengers of all but Shoma and Yuzuru
5. the talented rest who won't have it easy this season - Mitsuki, Tatsuya, Kao, some will have to try harder to challenge the ones above (Yuuto, Sena, Taichiro)
6. the experienced 'oldest' group who are leaving (Hiroaki) or I suspect can be leaving after this season (Ryuju, Jun if he hasn't already)

Such an exciting season if all stay healthy, really looking forward to it. *_*

Only Yuzuru is in the category of his own. I don't like it when people talk as if the others are only good enough to be #3. Shoma is not the most consistent and a good 4S is rewarded more than a wonky 4F. Off topic but a good example, in ladies people always talked how nobody can beat Satoko or Kihira, yet they both were beaten by Kaori who doesn't have a 3A or the best artistry. Ice is slippery

surimi

Record Breaker
^ I said "men's field at the moment". If you have data suggesting any Japanese male skaters other than Shoma and Yuzuru have produced comparable results to theirs so far, by all means share them, and I am ready to re-assess my opinion. What happens as this season unfolds or may happen later on, was not what I wrote of.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Even if he isn't the most consistent Shoma always gets better results than anyone but Yuzu. And the other men are not the most consistents either. He won't have a coach this season so maybe he will be more inconsistent and international judges can suddenly give him 8s and +2-3s, but Japaneses judges loves him. See how Kaori always get way more at nats than at intl competitions before nats.

readernick

Medalist
Shoma has two world silver medals, he is reigning Olympic silver medalist, 4CC champion, has been on the GPF podium 4 times. He is also 3 time Japanese national champion. He is on another level.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Only Yuzuru is in the category of his own. I don't like it when people talk as if the others are only good enough to be #3. Shoma is not the most consistent and a good 4S is rewarded more than a wonky 4F. Off topic but a good example, in ladies people always talked how nobody can beat Satoko or Kihira, yet they both were beaten by Kaori who doesn't have a 3A or the best artistry. Ice is slippery

Ummm, no. I yield to few in my affection and esteem for Yuzuru and firm belief whether shared or no that he is the greatest human ever to strap on a skate {big surprise, yeah} but Shoma is 4CC gold and Olympic silver medallist, Japanese national champion, has a heap of other medals and awards. He is definitely on a level above and beyond most, even given his difficult season last year.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Congrats to Shun Sato for winning the bronze medal at his 2nd jgp and getting his ticket for jgpf:clap:

surimi

Record Breaker
The Japanese men have been doing very well so far this season! Yuma and Shun in the JGPF, Yuzuru and Keiji with Challenger golds, Sota and Koshiro with Challenger silvers - fingers crossed the streak continues at Finlandia! And fingers crossed for beautiful redemption skates by Kazuki at Kinki regionals. :clapper:

Gabby30

On the Ice
Ummm, no. I yield to few in my affection and esteem for Yuzuru and firm belief whether shared or no that he is the greatest human ever to strap on a skate {big surprise, yeah} but Shoma is 4CC gold and Olympic silver medallist, Japanese national champion, has a heap of other medals and awards. He is definitely on a level above and beyond most, even given his difficult season last year.

It doesn't matter that he once got an olympic silver medal or won 4Cc, the first time he actually won something after years. He was off the worlds podium in Japan and his technique doesn't make him a level above others. It's all about judging and the federations support

readernick

Medalist
It doesn't matter that he once got an olympic silver medal or won 4Cc, the first time he actually won something after years. He was off the worlds podium in Japan and his technique doesn't make him a level above others. It's all about judging and the federations support

You obviously don't like Shoma which is fine. To each there own. But, that doesn't change facts. Based on results alone ( and frankly based on skill, too) he is on a completely different level. He didn't get there because of federation support. He got there because of amazing performances. No other Japanese man has even won a Grand Prix title . (other than Daisuke, of course, but his future is elsewhere) Kenji just won his very first challenger event after 5 years in seniors( congrats, and I love his short) but Shoma made the GPF his first year in seniors and every year since. I am not saying it isn't possible for other Japanese male skaters to reach Shoma's level in the future( frankly, I hope they all continue to improve) but based on results and skills the current reigning OLYMPIC SILVER MEDALIST is on a different level.

Gabby30

On the Ice
Are we still pretending that Shoma is rotating his jumps? It's beyond me how can someone claim that a skater who is constantly getting away with his flaws "a level above" others. Where does this belief come from? Let's not insult skaters with better technique like that, please, skaters who rotate their jumps and actually work on their flaws but doesn't get as much support from the federation because they weren't meant to be the "chosen ones" .
The plan was to have someone to replace Yuzuru when he once retires, but the last years showed that Shoma is not that person and the judges slowly get it too. But the next generation is here, lets give some deserved love to them

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Are we still pretending that Shoma is rotating his jumps? It's beyond me how can someone claim that a skater who is constantly getting away with his flaws "a level above" others. Where does this belief come from? Let's not insult skaters with better technique like that, please, skaters who rotate their jumps and actually work on their flaws but doesn't get as much support from the federation because they weren't meant to be the "chosen ones" .
The plan was to have someone to replace Yuzuru when he once retires, but the last years showed that Shoma is not that person and the judges slowly get it too. But the next generation is here, lets give some deserved love to them

I used to complain about the cheated quads but to be fair Trusova or even worse Alysa Liu do the exact same and everyone praise their quads like the best quads they've ever seen, so if you accept that you should accept Shoma's quads.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's all about judging and the federations support

He's got Federation support (to my admittedly jaundiced eyes, more than Yuzu gets at times). And he's current national champion, remember? That matters to the Japanese. A lot.

The plan was to have someone to replace Yuzuru when he once retires....

Replacing Yuzuru is Not Going To Happen, of course. He's pure caged lightning, a once in a lifetime phenom. The young skaters coming up won't do it either. But they, like Shoma, have their own place... and his is an honorable and impressive one. All very well for you to sneer at that Oly silver, but every male skater currently competing - in the world - who isn't Yuzu - would kill to have it...

surimi

Record Breaker

hmm, so apparently when Sota said in an interview he watches Shoma's practice attentively to learn when they meet at the Chuukyou rink, in your opinion he cannot recognize quality skating?

@ readernick, it's KeIji ;) And I agree, sometimes Japanese men are late bloomers. I am happy for Keiji.

Let me just share I am happy for Ryuju Hino, one of my faves and one of the Japanese 'oldies club' at 24, for having a successful SP at Chuubu regionals. Good luck in the free! (He doesn't have his own fanfest here so I've taken to this thread to post)

readernick

Medalist
Thanks for correcting that. Actually, I know it's Keiji but I am terrible at typing on my phone. 😀 I am so happy for him and I hope this positive trend continues

Anyway, I totally support all the Japanese skaters young and old in their efforts to improve. I really love Yuma Kagiyama, Keiji,
Kazuki.... and hope they have great results.

But, Shoma's quality of skating is, as other skaters recognize, on a different level up to this point. That could change this season or next but up until now no one has come close to challenging his Japan#2 position.