Coronation Ace or MK Pro? | Golden Skate

Coronation Ace or MK Pro?

Clod

Rinkside
Hi :)
I'm trying to figure out which blade would fit my skating. I don't have problems with jumps, the take off and landings, but my spins travel a lot most of the time and it takes me a while to find the sweet spot while spinning, most of all in camel spins.
I understood that the coronation ace and mk pro are 'at the same level' so I wanted to ask if someone used both and which differences they noticed.
Thank you :)

Nimyue

On the Ice
I've recently tried both.

The MK's spin rocker is more forward, and the heel stantion is lifted. The stantion is lifted to make it easier for you to get to your rocker. The CA rocker is under the ball of the foot and the heel stantion is lower.

So, the MK spin rocker is more precise. I found that I either centered my spin or I ended up falling out of the spin entirely. It was incredibly frustrating for me. Learning new spin positions was difficult, because executing the change of position had to be very correct with no rocking or you just fell out of the spin. However, when you did hold your body correctly, spins were faster and very centered. This is because less of the blade is touching the ice in the MK's rocker profile so there is less friction. So spins that were centered were faster and smooth, but you can't save a spin that starts to rock.

The CA allows for a bit of rocking and is easier to correct. So in the CA I was able to wobble a bit between position changes and rescue the spin easier.

For jumps, I liked the MK more as I found it easier to get onto my toe pick to jump and my landings were smoother.

Ultimately, I prefer the CA.

There is another blade I like better and that's Eclipse's Aurora, and I recently figured out why. It has the spin rocker profile similar to the CA (a bit flatter), but the heel stantion is 4mm higher.

If you're just learning, it doesn't matter too much, just pick one you think is best and stick to it. They are both great blades.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you, I will give a look to Eclipse's Aurora, and then decide :)

The Eclipse blade is going to be more flat than the other two IIRC.

The other good thing about both the CA and the Pro is that they give the option of getting parabolic blades instead of parallel. (Aurora is only parallel). Parabolic blades will help center your weight better in spins and will be more stable.

Either way, good luck! :)

Nimyue

On the Ice
Thank you, I will give a look to Eclipse's Aurora, and then decide :)

It's all a matter of preference. I really thought I'd like the MK Pro better, but I was wrong :confused2:

And IceRabbit is definitely correct, the Aurora is a bit flatter. I like that it pushes you forward a bit because it works really well for my spins. But that's just me! We're all different.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Honestly, I'd say neither. If you're having trouble with centering spins and travelling in spins, I'd say Jackson's Legacy 7 are probably the best. They're about the same level as Coronation Ace and MK Pro, maybe a bit better, perfect for axels and all double jumps. They have a 7' rocker so that will really help with not travelling in spins and you will find it easy to find your sweet spot. With Legacy 7, landing jumps can be slightly hardier for people who struggle with jumps but if you find jumps easy, this won't effect your jumps and it won't be a problem for you. Also, these blades have a really cool design and look great! Jackson's Legacy 7 are slightly cheaper than Coronation Ace I believe but are better in my opinion. They're a great value for money and I think that they'd suit you and your skating perfectly. Definitely recommend. Hope this helped

Yeah, I'm going to strongly disagree with this and so are many others here. Legacy's have a very flat rocker and that isn't going to help their spins whatsoever.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Yeah, I'm going to strongly disagree with this and so are many others here. Legacy's have a very flat rocker and that isn't going to help their spins whatsoever.
How would you know? I had pretty much the same problem and switched to legacy 7 and it helped a ton.. also I was just trying to help, no need to snap at is

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
How would you know? I had pretty much the same problem and switched to legacy 7 and it helped a ton.. also I was just trying to help, no need to snap at is

First of all, I wasn't snapping, just because someone disagrees doesn't mean it's something personal. Disagreement happens alot in this section of the forum so be aware of that.
Secondly, I'm a pro and former elite (I've worn/tested just about every blade there is and many of the boots), and that's how I know. There are many here that will agree, like skate techs and such.

You were trying to help which is fine, and I'm glad it worked for you. That does not mean that those flatter rockers are going to work for everyone. On the other hand, it has been proven that JW Coronation Ace and MK Pro do help people with their spins.

Ideally, Gold Seals are the best for spinning but it's not something one just tells anyone to get a pair of.

Vicki7

On the Ice
I'm currently using the CA and although I love them, I do wonder if a different blade would help my 1 foot spins. I find I'm hitting the bottom toe pick a lot, and I can't hold the spin for more than 1 to 2 rotations.

Is switching blades a real pain? If I hated a new blade, could I switch back without damaging my boots? Because if that's a possibility I'll wait a few years til my Debuts are showing signs of breaking down before I experiment.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This is an important topic, and it's good to get responses from a large sample of skaters. Just to clarify: (a) What blade were you using before you switched to Legacy 7? Was it a Coronation Ace or Pro (in which case you can offer a direct A-B comparison between similar intermediate blades), or was it some lower-grade blade? (b) You previously wrote that in your opinion the Legacy was better than the Coronation Ace or Pro. In what respects is it better [I mean in terms of skating performance, not looks (subject to individual preference) or price (may depend on country of sale)]?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Is switching blades a real pain? If I hated a new blade, could I switch back without damaging my boots? Because if that's a possibility I'll wait a few years til my Debuts are showing signs of breaking down before I experiment.
You need a skate tech who knows how to remove the old blades, do permanent plugs of the previous mounting holes, drill fresh holes for the new blades, and mount the new blades. Many skate techs fill an old hole by simply pounding a wooden peg into it. This won't do if you need to drill a new hole at or near the old hole. A permanent plug needs to be attached with a suitable adhesive.

I do my own mounting. I have a pair of Jackson Elites, previous generation with traditional leather soles. Between changing blade positions and changing blades (I'm on my third set), I've plugged and re-drilled about a dozen times now without any problems. I don't have any experience, however, with non-leather soles. I do have general experience with a wide variety of construction materials for various engineering projects. With a suitable plug and a suitable adhesive, I believe you should be able to mount blades several times on a single pair of boots. One area of concern I've thought about is that many of the new advanced boots have an outer layer of rubber or rubber-like material covering the sole and heel. So that outer layer may need to be patched as well. Anyway, if you're not planning to do it yourself, talk to your tech.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
This is an important topic, and it's good to get responses from a large sample of skaters. Just to clarify: (a) What blade were you using before you switched to Legacy 7? Was it a Coronation Ace or Pro (in which case you can offer a direct A-B comparison between similar intermediate blades), or was it some lower-grade blade? (b) You previously wrote that in your opinion the Legacy was better than the Coronation Ace or Pro. In what respects is it better [I mean in terms of skating performance, not looks (subject to individual preference) or price (may depend on country of sale)]?
You know what, it doesn't matter, I can't be bothered for this anymore
Also, I deleted the origional comment anyways so why does it matter?