Ashley Wagner on “Today” show | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner on “Today” show

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
First, on a superficial note, her dress (possibly a romper) was SO cute. Proof that “trendy” and “ladylike” can coexist.

Now, her interview: What I think is new & notable is that she says USFSA has changed its policy on chaperones. According to Ashley, in the past they were team officials & judges who were traveling to the same event. Ashley said this made it difficult to report/discuss ANY problem the skater might be having with ANY issue, for fear of it affecting how the skater was viewed. On “Today,” Ashley said the federation now is assigning trained chaperones who are NOT affiliated with the judging process. She feels this is an important improvement.

https://www.today.com/video/figure-skater-ashley-wagner-opens-up-about-sexual-assault-65740357636

evasorange

Final Flight
I’m so glad Ashley is continuing to speak out about what happened to her and advocate for others! I have to say tho I am kind of surprised by the lack of big name support from the skating world. Official USA account didn’t tweet anything until a whole day later, and unless I missed it not a lot of skaters commented or tweeted support. Compared to the outpouring of support after johns suicide it just seems....not a good look

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She has very valid points, especially pertaining to environment. Here's hoping for more awareness and change! Thank you Ashley!

Scott512

Record Breaker
First, on a superficial note, her dress (possibly a romper) was SO cute. Proof that “trendy” and “ladylike” can coexist.

Now, her interview: What I think is new & notable is that she says USFSA has changed its policy on chaperones. According to Ashley, in the past they were team officials & judges who were traveling to the same event. Ashley said this made it difficult to report/discuss ANY problem the skater might be having with ANY issue, for fear of it affecting how the skater was viewed. On “Today,” Ashley said the federation now is assigning trained chaperones who are NOT affiliated with the judging process. She feels this is an important improvement.

https://www.today.com/video/figure-skater-ashley-wagner-opens-up-about-sexual-assault-65740357636

Team officials and judges used to be chaperones for these kids? SMH.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I’m so glad Ashley is continuing to speak out about what happened to her and advocate for others! I have to say tho I am kind of surprised by the lack of big name support from the skating world. Official USA account didn’t tweet anything until a whole day later, and unless I missed it not a lot of skaters commented or tweeted support. Compared to the outpouring of support after johns suicide it just seems....not a good look

If she was a more popular skater maybe other skaters would have tweeted. Imo there is always support for super popular skaters. For the less popular or unpopular there is nothing, no matter what happened. That's a context that deserved a special hashtag, not only or necessary to support Ashley but to support the fight against sexual abuse.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seems like some people still haven‘t learned to actually listen to what skaters/people really say in their interviews. Or they simply don‘t want to and that‘s why they continue to deliberately misinterpret every word that’s being said. Makes it even worse tbh.

Thank you to Ashley, is all I have to say about this. Being brave isn‘t an easy thing to do, especially given how some like to shame her for that. But if it means some changes might happen and the young generation will be a bit safer, it‘s worth it.

I agree. I was never a super fan of Ashley's skating (I am partial to Hip Hip Chin Chin) but she always seems to really try to do the right thing even when it is not the easy thing. And I am a super fan of that.:thumbsup:

withwings

On the Ice

There were quit a lot in day #1, when a story came out. I do remember Kiira Korpi, Kaetlyn Weaver among others....However, I am neither following twitter accounts or having my own. So I looked in Ashley's Instagram to find more info, and there was this genuine support from the skaters. Hmmm... no USA

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Much support and kudos to Ashley for how she is handling this situation, and shining a light on an issue, in an effort to protect other skaters who are competing now.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

That is a massive improvement. I have experience of travelling to international competition - albeit decades ago - and there being no real chaperoning at all. Skaters were left to their own devices. In fact, coming home after the competition was over, one of the coaches said to me, "We know what goes on after a competition. Why do you think we all stay in a different hotel?" I really, really hope that no longer happens. The age range of the skaters was between 13-20 and although the older skaters conscientiously looked after the younger ones in the time running up to and during the competition, the last evening and after party would be devoid of any chaperoning and not something I'd want any vulnerable person to go through.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
That is a massive improvement. I have experience of travelling to international competition - albeit decades ago - and there being no real chaperoning at all. Skaters were left to their own devices. In fact, coming home after the competition was over, one of the coaches said to me, "We know what goes on after a competition. Why do you think we all stay in a different hotel?" I really, really hope that no longer happens. The age range of the skaters was between 13-20 and although the older skaters conscientiously looked after the younger ones in the time running up to and during the competition, the last evening and after party would be devoid of any chaperoning and not something I'd want any vulnerable person to go through.

And this speaks directly to Ashley’s wish to address the “environment” & its unsuitability for such a wide range of ages thrown together. There are all sorts of issues & potential problems that have zero to do with sexual assault.

russell30

Final Flight
This is only the beginning I fear!!

With Gymnastics and now Figure Skating I feel more will come out of the woodwork in the upcoming months! BUT Kudos to Ashley for speaking out and trying to change things in the sport! heading in the right direction! was shocked at the time that it happened to Ashley being an elite skater but it happens on all levels!

russell30

Final Flight
On an important note of one so young is it feasible for a family member to travel with the skaters to competitions to offer them some protection!, costly it might seem but maybe a solution! rather than a so called chaperone!

A cost divided between parent (family), federation/skating club!

Finley

Record Breaker
This is exhausting.

Why don't more victims come forward with their stories?

Victim comes forward with story.

Why did you wait? Why now? Why publicly? Why not through law enforcement/civil suit? Did you notify the proper authorities? Where is your proof/physical evidence/witnesses? You mean we just have to take your word that this happened? Why use social media/television show? Why did you use those words? Why are you dressed like that? What do you want? Is that all that happened? So many people have much worse stories. Why tell your story to ________? Why are you trying to slander _______? Why are you dragging _______ into this? What do you think you will achieve? What were you thinking? Weren't you raised better than to ___________________ (insert whatever behavior you deem inappropriate.) What's in this for you? Are you seeking attention? Are you sure you didn't misunderstand the situation? Are you sure you didn't misread the intention behind the action? Are you sure you aren't just jealous? You know some girls would be flattered by that kind of attention, right?
Calm down, I'm just asking the questions that need to be asked.

Why don't more victims come forward with their stories?

Not saying no one should ask questions. Questions can and should be asked. But if we are not in a courtroom maybe we should give some grace to the person telling their story. Their story is not a deposition. It's their story of something that happened. I probably shouldn't post when I'm tired.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
On an important note of one so young is it feasible for a family member to travel with the skaters to competitions to offer them some protection!, costly it might seem but maybe a solution! rather than a so called chaperone!

A cost divided between parent (family), federation/skating club!

It does happen but not always. Nathan Chen's mom used to and sometimes still (even though he's not underage) travels with him. There are others and I can't think of them right now. I'm pretty sure the Shibs mom used to travel with them all the time.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
It does happen but not always. Nathan Chen's mom used to and sometimes still (even though he's not underage) travels with him. There are others and I can't think of them right now. I'm pretty sure the Shibs mom used to travel with them all the time.

Look at the ISU rules regarding chaperones at their events. Not a very enjoyable way to spend/waste your time, hardly any amenities, no free admission to the event etc, you're given only the bare basics needed to comply with the rules. So you need to bring your own money to buy tickets to watch your child or spend the day wandering about. Not for the poor either, traveling expenses for the chaperone.

Of course, smaller, local, regional or even national competitions might offer better conditions.

Can a dad chaperone his daughter, a mother her son when they have to share hotel rooms (sometimes even the double bed)? Most kids won't like that and it will still look odd to the casual onlooker. Plus the psychological effect of having a parent around you day and night will affect the kids.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Look at the ISU rules regarding chaperones at their events. Not a very enjoyable way to spend/waste your time, hardly any amenities, no free admission to the event etc, you're given only the bare basics needed to comply with the rules. So you need to bring your own money to buy tickets to watch your child or spend the day wandering about. Not for the poor either, traveling expenses for the chaperone.

Of course, smaller, local, regional or even national competitions might offer better conditions.

Can a dad chaperone his daughter, a mother her son when they have to share hotel rooms (sometimes even the double bed)? Most kids won't like that and it will still look odd to the casual onlooker. Plus the psychological effect of having a parent around you day and night will affect the kids.

Preaching to the choir here. I'm a former elite competitor, I more than know the rules, I lived with them for years.

Also, all I said was it has been and is still done. (Parents accompanying their kid).

Scott512

Record Breaker
This was on the front page of my news feed this morning......An article about Richard Callaghan...…….I'm glad this is being brought into the light. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mo...ng-attempt-alleged/ar-AAFAmjO?ocid=spartanntp

Preaching to the choir here. I'm a former elite competitor, I more than know the rules, I lived with them for years.

Also, all I said was it has been and is still done. (Parents accompanying their kid).

It's got to be hard on the parents to hang around the kids because training takes so much time and traveling and performing takes so much time and focus as well. I guess your parents and anyone's parents would just try to stay in the background and let the coaches and their children do their thing and not distract them because obviously 100% focus is required.

Rabbit, where you at all surprised to hear about the horrendous allegations against Richard Callahan? Is there anything realistic that could have been done to protect kids from him? If the allegations are true Richard Callaghan obviously had access to his pupils anytime he wanted especially if the parents were not around.

Seems figure skating scandals and the unbelievable gymnastics scandal give these 2 great Sports a huge black eye in the United States. Having never been sexually abused in my life I just can't imagine what some of these athletes go through and people in everyday life. Sadly it's not as rare an incident as I used to think it was when I was growing up.

iceskater10

On the Ice
If anyone needs to be held accountable it's USFS. I don't care if this happened 10 years ago at champs camp, how did they let these skaters have a party at a house with liquor and minors and all of them staying at a house. I also was in CS when Richard Callahan was coaching there and I believe all the victims. USFS wake up!!! we are now even with US Gymnastics in the public eye. UGH