USFSA allegedly tried to silence Craig Maurizi ? | Golden Skate

USFSA allegedly tried to silence Craig Maurizi ?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
USFSA allegedly tried to silence sexually abuse survivor Craig Mauriz?

New article about former skater Craig Maurizi, who talks about his experience trying to go public last year to speak about the sexual abuse he experienced as a skater from his coach. Maurizi felt like USFSA tried to pay him off into silence when he was planning on going public.

Here is the article:
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Sports/s...5_null_hero_related&__twitter_impression=true

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm saddened by the feeling that this is just the beginning. If it happens in other sports, there's no reason to believe figure skating would be immune to this type of behavior.

I shudder when I think of how many young people were victimized.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Here we go again: governing bodies more concerned over protecting the established adults\coaches\club owners etc. than the 'expendable' working material - young sportsmen and -women.

And it won't stop here, more sportspersons will come forward, and more governing bodies will have to defend themselves before applying necessary changes.

Is USOC now finally forcing the implementation of mandatory child protection policies on their subordinate bodies? What passes in one state is a prosecutable crime in another, by age line or by severity, here also is much work to be done to make sure perpetrators don't get away for too long.

madraykin

Rinkside
Is USOC now finally forcing the implementation of mandatory child protection policies on their subordinate bodies? What passes in one state is a prosecutable crime in another, by age line or by severity, here also is much work to be done to make sure perpetrators don't get away for too long.

SafeSport required every US governing body to have a Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policy (MAAPP) in place by June 23rd 2019.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm glad the victims are now at least heard, it must have been awful all these years. It hurts to hear that even when abuse was reported, there was nothing done.....

GF2445

Record Breaker
Heads need to roll from USFS officials past and present.
It's disgusting.

Believe in and stand with #SkatingSurvivors.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to the news today, Richard Callaghan has been banned permanently from the sport of figure skating.