The Tutberidze Effect | Page 12 | Golden Skate

The Tutberidze Effect

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Opinions on such things can change and certainly have over the years. In this very same press conference from before the Olympics she said she wasn't interested in training any foreign skaters at all and mentions Elizabeth Tursynbaeva by name, as someone she isn't interested in training full time. Needless to say, that has changed. Eteri was also willing to accept Shoma this year, though it didn't work out. And she's actually had Chinese skaters come to her summer camp for the last two seasons. Of course Eteri wouldn't ditch her own skaters in favour of the Chinese fed, but she's definitely not as categorically opposed to training non-Russian skaters as she used to be.

I don't know about chinese skaters at summer camp, I know about philippine skaters (and Dudakov participated in Manila once or twice). But it is different with summer camp and with full time training. Summer camp can be useful in two ways. Also, with Shoma there was never any serious talk about Eteri being his full time coach from any side, despite some previous rumours. With Lilbet, Lilbet herself said she had to persuade Eteri that she really desire for it to accept her back. Specific cases are not general rule.

Watch

Final Flight
Where did you get that Eteri willing to accept Shoma? There was talk only about the summer camp.

Daniil kind of gave it away in an interview he did sometimes in May, I believe. I'll link to it later if I find it, it was a really interesting one in many other aspects as well, though I'm not sure if there're English subtitles. Anyway, there he's asked what skaters he would like to work with that are not from their camp, to which he answers that he can't say too much yet, but if things work out, this season he's going to choreograph for a very high profile male skater who isn't Russian. It's a fairly safe bet to say he meant Shoma. So whatever didn't work out in the end, a more permanent arrangement with Eteri as Shoma's coach was certainly considered at some point.

Orlov

Medalist
So whatever didn't work out in the end, a more permanent arrangement with Eteri as Shoma's coach was certainly considered at some point.

For me it’s completely not obvious. I do not understand why you wrote the word "certainly". Summer camp and choreography - this is not the same as constant training.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
Daniil kind of gave it away in an interview he did sometimes in May, I believe.

Daniil mentioned it in the interview he gave to Emma Gadzhiyeva, in April. And all he said when asked if any foreigners wanted a choreo done by him, was that "maybe... I'll do a choreo for a foreign athlete, a BOY, quite high profile one". He probably meant Daniel Grassl, who's supposed to come (at least, it was planned some time ago) for a week or two of training to Sambo-70 by end of this Aug.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Daniil mentioned it in the interview he gave to Emma Gadzhiyeva, in April. And all he said when asked if any foreigners wanted a choreo done by him, was that "maybe... I'll do a choreo for a foreign athlete, a BOY, quite high ranking one". He probably meant Daniel Grassl, who's supposed to come (at least, it was planned some time ago) for a week or two of training to Sambo-70 by end of this Aug.

Daniel Grassl already got both his programs choreographed by Benoit Richaud

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
Daniel Grassl already got both his programs choreographed by Benoit Richaud

a) You're right. And it has never ever happened in the history of figure skating that the programmes & plans were changed. Sure.

b) Daniil said "maybe", he never said "I will".

SkySkater

On the Ice
Daniil mentioned it in the interview he gave to Emma Gadzhiyeva, in April. And all he said when asked if any foreigners wanted a choreo done by him, was that "maybe... I'll do a choreo for a foreign athlete, a BOY, quite high profile one". He probably meant Daniel Grassl, who's supposed to come (at least, it was planned some time ago) for a week or two of training to Sambo-70 by end of this Aug.

I’d be surprised Grassl has consistently been going to Mishin camps in August for training and he had the Kostner show as well recently. I’ve never heard anything about Grassl having anything to do with Daniil or Eteri. Also I really like Grassl but I wouldn’t call him high ranking

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
I’d be surprised Grassl has consistently been going to Mishin camps in August for training and he had the Kostner show as well recently. I’ve never heard anything about Grassl having anything to do with Daniil or Eter. Also I really like Grassl but I wouldn’t call him high ranking

You must have missed this interview he gave in May

- You said recently that you were going to spend a week in the group of Eteri Tutberidze. You talked to her, is there a decision?

- Yes, we talked with her at the European Championships, she was nice. She made compliments and said that she would be glad if someday the coach and I went to her. Perhaps we will do it in August, but this is not yet definite.

SkySkater

On the Ice

In the same interview he says that he has concrete plans to get his choreo done by Benoit. In that case this still wouldn't fit as he'd be going there as a skater on a training camp not to get choreo. Again Daniel Grassl isn't the calibre of skater that Daniil would talk about like that--it's much more likely this was a reference to Shoma

I will go to Courchevel with Benoit and my coach.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
In the same interview he says that he has concrete plans to get his choreo done by Benoit.

Daniil gave his interview to Emma in early April; Daniel gave his end of May. Things/plans change.

it's much more likely this was a reference to Shoma

So you think Daniil was referring to a 22 year old as a "мальчик/boy"? Ok.

Ykai

On the Ice
She is fiercely loyal to Russia, committed to her own skaters, both in good and bad times. Plus she is on FFKKR/FFKM,Sambo-70's payroll, sort of like a public servant to the Ministry of Sports. She'll have to get herself fired/leave from public service first to start working for another federation. Being in charge over the strongest FS school in the world (at least in ladies singles with hopes to expand into mens singles) is not something I would forsake just for more money if I had no desire for riches in the first place. Job satisfaction, the feeling of realisation are not to be mixed up with financial rewards.

Plyushchenko might perhaps have to liquidate or hand over his own business/enterprise the Angels before becoming a full time coach/advisor for the Chinese.

Orser and Wilson are freelance professionals, used to working at commissions and tasks by the hour, as the commercial choreographers are. They might take up a position of advisor, general manager, setting up and overseeing the work of the Chinese trainers and coaches, but not like 'getting their hands dirty' with actual training/coaching full time I'd think.

Wether another federation can poach Dudakov, Gleikhengauz or Rozanov? My guess is no, they love their skaters, they enjoy raising them up and coach them to this high level, enjoy working as a team together, sharing the satisfaction, enjoying the fruits of their labour together. We'll see after 2022 Olympics what their individual ambitions are for one can be reasonably certain, after the Games have left China, there will be far less money and prestige left since all attention will switch to the 2026 Games.

There will be huge language and cultural barriers to overcome if any person not Chinese is asked to set up a long term program to study and apply the Tutberidze Effect. If you don't think, talk and feel like a Chinese, it probably won't work.

It seems the Chinese are doing quite well on their own, the impetus, the momentum is certainly there.

Ok, so it is only hypothesis that if the Chinese Feb comes to Eteri, she would reject. I thought the discussion from the video was about the Chinese Fed actually asked Eteri and offered a position.

Watch

Final Flight
For me it’s completely not obvious. I do not understand why you wrote the word "certainly". Summer camp and choreography - this is not the same as constant training.

Don't think it's a huge leap at all. Daniil choreographs for the team, the timing fits, it honestly makes no sense that Shoma's prefered choice would be to remain coachless for the season and he hasn't been shopping around with any other prominent coaches other than Eteri. It's really nothing scandalous, not sure why there're so many here who scramble to deny it... he looked into getting coached by Eteri, it didn't fit for whatever reason, either for her or for him or likely both, now it's not happening. Really no big deal.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Don't think it's a huge leap at all. Daniil choreographs for the team, the timing fits, it honestly makes no sense that Shoma's prefered choice would be to remain coachless for the season and he hasn't been shopping around with any other prominent coaches other than Eteri. It's really nothing scandalous, not sure why there're so many here who scramble to deny it... he looked into getting coached by Eteri, it didn't fit for whatever reason, either for her or for him or likely both, now it's not happening. Really no big deal.

You still didn't deliver a single proof, you are just making it foggy now.

Watch

Final Flight
You still didn't deliver a single proof, you are just making it foggy now.

I already said I feel very certain to say it's him Daniil was talking about in his interview ( It's this one, timestamp around 26:30), really didn't think it was such a topic of contention that Shoma and Eteri considered the possibility of working together fulltime :confused: Forgive me if it is, you're completely free to disagree with me on that. It's really not a hill I'm willing to die on. Anyway, I brought it up together with other things to point out that Eteri has somewhat softened her stance on not accepting any foreign skaters at all, so who knows what the future brings on that front.

I really didn't think it was such a topic of contention that Shoma and Eteri considered the possibility of working together fulltime...

Thank you for putting this topic in perspective. What is everyone getting all angry and combative about, whether they did or they didn't?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
It is just, do they really have the time to apply the Tutberidze Effect to guests. Workload is already maxed out, ice time limited?
Accomplished foreign adult skaters do not really need to learn new technique, since they have done well using their present.

Would be nice to see the result of Gleikhengauz staging a program for a skater completely unknown to him, but other than that, I can see no real benefits to a short exposure.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I already said I feel very certain to say it's him Daniil was talking about in his interview ( It's this one, timestamp around 26:30), really didn't think it was such a topic of contention that Shoma and Eteri considered the possibility of working together fulltime :confused: Forgive me if it is, you're completely free to disagree with me on that. It's really not a hill I'm willing to die on. Anyway, I brought it up together with other things to point out that Eteri has somewhat softened her stance on not accepting any foreign skaters at all, so who knows what the future brings on that front.

This was brought here already with proper translation and even with my minimal understanding of russian I can confirm that he spoke about "malchik", boy, It is much more probable he spoke about Daniel Grassl, not Shoma. As for Daniil making programs for foreigners that isn't anything new, he did it several times already, but it has nothing to do with the (change of) attitude to foreigners training full-time in Khrustalnyi. it is not "such a topic" per se (though rumors made this a big thing months ago), it was brought here as a part of the debate and as that it was counterargumented by me and others. Not a big deal :)

voolfee

On the Ice

It’s normal when people don’t like that someone is trying to invent something. The fact is that initially only the summer camp was announced. It took place and Shoma left, that's all.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Well, if Eteri says in an interview that she wouldn‘t be particularly interested in training foreign athletes such as Tursynbaeva and a year or so later she‘s suddenly all keen on doing just that, I don‘t know what I‘d call it if not a change of attitude. Whatever the reasons are, it‘s not like it‘s a bad thing. Obviously Elizabet is thriving under her new coach and I dare say Eteri isn‘t entirely indifferent towards her and their shared success either. ;)