Andrei Kutovoi | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Andrei Kutovoi

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really enjoy watching this skater. There are little details that I see in him that I don't see in a lot of seniors. One thing that stands out the most is his posture/carriage. He's got a great back! For his age (14) he really pays attention to details in the choreo (i.e. hands). Will be keeping a close eye on this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQYQUJjk0Qs

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I really enjoy watching this skater. There are little details that I see in him that I don't see in a lot of seniors. One thing that stands out the most is his posture/carriage. He's got a great back! For his age (14) he really pays attention to details in the choreo (i.e. hands). Will be keeping a close eye on this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQYQUJjk0Qs

Me too! That’s why I made this thread [emoji6] if he’s like this at 13* (well his birthday is in a day or two!) then he for sure has a bright future

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Andrey's totally convincing free program from today:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Andrey Kutovoy: “ It's nice to be praised, but not praised without restrain. I don’t like that ”​

December 18, 2020
DSC_3028.jpg

After winning the junior singles competitions of the fifth stage of the Russian Cup, figure skater Andrey Kutovoy, a pupil of Veronika Daineko, who trains in Sankt Peterburg at the Tamara Moskvina Sports Club, commented in this interview with the FFKKR website on his performances during this competitive season, told that he plans to improve his programs, what is his hobby besides sports and why he loves figure skating.

- Andrey, this season you competed in two stages of the Russian Cup: in Sochi you became a Bronze medalist and you won in Moscow. How do you assess your performance at Megasport?

-- I will say this: I fought. The jumping passes, as you probably noticed, were not quite perfect, but I held on as best I could and jumped all the jumps. Perhaps it was excitement? In the free program, I was a little distracted going from side to side, but I tried to concentrate during the skating run.

- Why "distracted"?

-- When I jumped the first of my two triple Axels, I was delighted. But you don't need to rejoice during the rental. You must immediately forget about the past jumps and think about the next. Therefore, I often say to myself: arm there, leg there, do this element ... I try to hold myself together to the last point.

DSC 7990

And you saw that from the first triple Lutz in the free skating run I didn't manage to have a good exit. I got scared, but immediately figured out what to change, where to add a Toeloop, so as not to be left without a cascade. It isn't that easy, because the program must change a little right away. But I managed to jump the final cascade of triple Lutz - triple Toeloop.

We practice it in training. We add one more to solo jumps so that in situations like now, we can be ready. Of course, in advance I tried not to think that this could happen. Hopefully it won't happen in the future.

- In Sochi, your short program did not work out, in Moscow you were in the lead after it. Learned a lesson from the preceding start?

-- Yes, in Moscow I concentrated more on the short program. That's for sure. Therefore, everything turned out like this.

- This season you were able to stabilize the triple Axel, which was not always successful last year due to injury ...

-- Well, not quite completely. Axel's must always be done cleanly, but I still have an under rotation. But in training, this become less and less. We strive for complete stability.

DSC 3188

- I don't want to run ahead, but do you try quadruple jumps in training?

-- My answer is: I'm working on all quads. Which one comes first is a surprise. I don’t want to tell you in advance.

- What's your favorite jump?

-- All. I can't say which one I like better. I like everyone and each in its own way.

- The Junior Grand Prix stages are not held this season. Did this affect your competitive attitude?

-- Health comes first of all, and to be honest, I didn't think too much about it. Canceled is canceled. There are other competitions where I am participating. Apparently, it was necessary. The main thing is not to despair. We are working. Every start is important to me. And the stages of the Russian Cup are now shown on Channel One. I think this adds to the athlete's desire to skate better.

- You have a new short program about love. Isn't it difficult to skate such a theme?

-- I really liked the music, and I myself suggested to Veronika Anatolyevna (coach Daineko) to make me a program. It wasn't before the season, but earlier. But my coach probably thought that I was not quite ready for this yet. And this year we decided to try it. The program was directed by Nikita Mikhailov. I feel the music better with every performance. We can say that we are already in unison. I like the program, I like to skate it.

DSC 3207

- Your free program from "Les Miserables " was kept from last season, but each time new shades appear in it.

-- What else? We are working on this program so that I can feel and understand it better, and therefore new colours and emotions appear. We still have a lot of work to do on it. I think over time you will see it in all its glory, at its the maximum.

During the staging work Nikita Mikhailov advised to watch the film, since it is music from the film, in order to understand the context, to understand the hero. And my mother and I watched Les Miserables. All night long. I really liked it.

In this program, I appear in the form of Gavroche, and I want to convey power, strength, energy in skating. In training with Aleksander Aleksandrovich Stepin, we discussed all the details. He explains every movement, for example, here I raise a banner, there should be such an expression on my face, such a gesture, such hands ...

- You are good at expressing images on ice, as if you were a natural born actor. Is this true?

-- Since childhood, I liked to dance! I always played all the songs in my room. I could dance for hours without stopping. I just played music and improvised. Loved the classics ...

B7882

- "Swan Lake"?

-- There was such a thing. And The Nutcracker ... I danced to everything. Latin dances, tango ... Everything that you can move to ...

Now this is no longer possible, because after training, you are tired. But before I was so energetic. As they say, an awl got stuck.

- Why then didn't you choose dancing, but figure skating?

-- I loved to jump. During the dancing, I also jumped. Constantly. On the floor. So what kind of dances are there where I dance and jump? Single skating only!

- But dancing in your room is one thing, and in public is another. Not afraid of the audience?

-- On the contrary, I like to interact with the public. This is one of the reasons why I like figure skating. I like to skate my programs to the audience. I like the support of the public. Pleasant responses. Attention. You can't do without it.

- Are you revising your programs?

-- Always. Many times over. I make notes what is wrong, what I need to train more. Yes, I am reviewing. Sometimes I don't like to watch my unsuccessful skating runs. But it is precisely those that need to be analysed, so as not to dwell on mistakes later.

B7915

- You are quite active on social networks. How do you react to praise and criticism in the comments?

-- There are practically no bad comments on my pages. It's nice to be praised, but not praised without restrain. This is what I don't like. Even my mother, who supports me in everything, always speaks as it is. I don't like it when, you know, they start: oh, smart, well done, you are the best ... I love the truth. I did it badly, bad means bad. Nothing wrong with that. We must work and it will turn out better.

- Right. What do you like to do in your spare time, if any, besides sports?

-- Drawing. I draw a lot. In pencil, with paint. I took part in and won in school drawing competitions. It's like my hobby.

- What exactly are you drawing?

-- Portraits of people. Not necessarily those I know. Mom likes my sketches. Others too. I even drew figure skaters. Alina Zagitova. In her famous program "Don Quixote". Then I posted this drawing on the social network. Everyone liked it. There was a lot of positive feedback. Which means, beautifully drawn.

- Probably, you often go to museums and theaters?

-- Now, because of the situation with quarantine, I cannot go. I used to go to the Mariinsky Theater. Not often, but I did. I like to watch different performances. I often go to the movies. To museums.

B7900

But for some reason I don't particularly like museums. Once, we went on an excursion to the Hermitage with our school. For four hours we wandered the halls, I almost fell asleep. Of course, the pictures are beautiful there. But they didn’t explain anything to us, we just looked, and when you don’t understand what exactly is depicted, it becomes uninteresting. You have to understand the meaning, then you perceive it differently, you look with different eyes. Therefore, for now, I like modern contemporary exhibitions more. They are more understandable.

- Apparently, you are a creative person, of a humanitarian nature ...

-- I also study in the human science class of a sports school, where, if I am not mistaken, Yevgeniy Plyushchenko once studied. Due to the fact that sport comes in the first place now, I switched to independent study. They give me a task for a quarter term, then I hand over my work. I try to do my homework as much as possible in my free time. But this is very difficult, of course. After training, there is already no mental strength left, you come home with a headache, half-open eyes, but you try to understand and study a new topic. So far it turns out. It will be more difficult later.

- But in your group you have a wonderful example of Pyotr Gumennik, who successfully combines sports and studies.

-- Petya is another story. He's just a man of genius. He got such marks for his examinations in the Unified State Exam! Amazing! Especially for an athlete. Since because of training and competition, athletes do not always manage to study all the time. And Petya can combine that. Apparently he likes it a lot.

- How would you describe yourself in three words?

-- Creative, hardworking, friendly.

- What would you wish for yourself?

-- Health. This is the most important. When there is health, everything will be fine.

- Thank you! Health and all the best.

(c) Ольга Ермолина, Татьяна Фладе

Last edited:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
He comes across as a wise little man with an incredible discipline well beyond his ages. But this is not the first time I got the same impression on young athletes from Russia. I wonder if it's a cultural thing?
I have commented on his Instagram accounts saying "molodets!" and such, using pretty elementary vocabulary and not being able to elaborate on my feelings due to my linguistic limitations - he kindly responded to many of them, saying thank you or smiley/heart emojis, but I really hope they were not taken as those "half hearted praises" that he dislikes! :eek::palmf:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
He comes across as a wise little man with an incredible discipline well beyond his ages. But this is not the first time I got the same impression on young athletes from Russia. I wonder if it's a cultural thing?
It might be a Kutovoi thing 😉 Although I've also noticed many well-spoken young skaters, he seems to have his own unique demeanour.

Also maybe I'm biased by knowing that Liza Nugumanova is his cousin, but I do see some resemblance in their mannerisms... composure in front of the camera for one, maybe.

MGstyle

Medalist
Also maybe I'm biased by knowing that Liza Nugumanova is his cousin, but I do see some resemblance in their mannerisms... composure in front of the camera for one, maybe.
and obviously the innate musicality and charisma runs in the family!

LRK

Record Breaker
Just popping in here to say I've just finished watching Andrei's new free skate.

Not only is it beautiful, but it is surely the most energetic Ave Maria I haave ever seen. Most Ave Maria:s tend to be , even if lovely, too much on the lackadaisical side for me to wholly connect with - I found this BOTH lovely and engaging. Loved it.:)

For those who haven't seen it, here 'tis:

MGstyle

Medalist
It surely was a bit of a surprise seeing a new program at the last competition of the season (I think?) 😄 Fresh new take of Ave Maria indeed, and I defo like it!!!! And I suppose he is aiming for 4S to open with, by the start of the next season? I do hope he will work on making sure to complete rotations on some of the jumps this off season - does the problem run in the family?? 😳
I am happy to see that the judges appreciate the quality of his skating and he gets pretty decent PCS, which doesn't always happen for skaters whose strongest point is something else other than jumping ultra C's!