Worth it at this point to get new blades? | Golden Skate

Worth it at this point to get new blades?

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I got new Jackson Freestyles with the Aspire XP blades in January and have skated in them for an hour twice a week since. I have no idea how much life is left in them, but they still look and feel like new. I'm technically an adult skater, but I finished Basic Skills and had a really good waltz jump as a kid and am still very, very tiny and Eteri-girl-shaped.

I'm working on flips and loops (almost have the flip, lots of trouble on the loop) and love doing fancy moves like hydroblading and Ina Bauers and spirals. I also work a lot on edges, knee bend, and overall quality. Spins, however, are not coming along as fast as I'd like. I can do about four or five revolutions of a basic one-foot spin, and if I'm lucky, one and a half of a sit spin and one of a camel spin. (Oddly, I'm really good at locking into the camel spin position, but I just... don't revolve.)

I have a lot of trouble getting onto the spin rocker and staying there. However, a lot of that is from bad posture, which I've been making a lot of progress on, but it'll be a while before it's fully fixed.

I've never noticed anything that felt wrong about the blades, but it's not like I'd necessarily know what to look for. Would it be worth it to get more advanced blades even though my problems might be more from my posture than anything else? If so, which kind? I hope to test (standard track) and compete (probably non-qualifying) in the future and am a huge stickler for skating skills, so I'd rather spend more now and make up for it in progress (within reason).

Thank you!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I got new Jackson Freestyles with the Aspire XP blades in January and have skated in them for an hour twice a week since. I have no idea how much life is left in them, but they still look and feel like new. I'm technically an adult skater, but I finished Basic Skills and had a really good waltz jump as a kid and am still very, very tiny and Eteri-girl-shaped.

I'm working on flips and loops (almost have the flip, lots of trouble on the loop) and love doing fancy moves like hydroblading and Ina Bauers and spirals. I also work a lot on edges, knee bend, and overall quality. Spins, however, are not coming along as fast as I'd like. I can do about four or five revolutions of a basic one-foot spin, and if I'm lucky, one and a half of a sit spin and one of a camel spin. (Oddly, I'm really good at locking into the camel spin position, but I just... don't revolve.)

I have a lot of trouble getting onto the spin rocker and staying there. However, a lot of that is from bad posture, which I've been making a lot of progress on, but it'll be a while before it's fully fixed.

I've never noticed anything that felt wrong about the blades, but it's not like I'd necessarily know what to look for. Would it be worth it to get more advanced blades even though my problems might be more from my posture than anything else? If so, which kind? I hope to test (standard track) and compete (probably non-qualifying) in the future and am a huge stickler for skating skills, so I'd rather spend more now and make up for it in progress (within reason).

Thank you!

JMHO, but it seems it may be time for you to move beyond the beginner boot/blade combo you are in now, if you are doing loops and flips.
If Jackson works for you, you want to look at the Debut Fusion which is rated to single axel, but with your described weight/build would take you to some doubles bearing they don't break down before you reach that point. I'd pair it with a JW CA or MK Pro blade. The other option (rated higher is the Premier Fusion at a 65 for beginner doubles). The latter boot may last you longer but you'll definitely notice the fact that it's stiffer.

Good luck!

hanyuufan5

Medalist
JMHO, but it seems it may be time for you to move beyond the beginner boot/blade combo you are in now, if you are doing loops and flips.
If Jackson works for you, you want to look at the Debut Fusion which is rated to single axel, but with your described weight/build would take you to some doubles bearing they don't break down before you reach that point. I'd pair it with a JW CA or MK Pro blade. The other option (rated higher is the Premier Fusion at a 65 for beginner doubles). The latter boot may last you longer but you'll definitely notice the fact that it's stiffer.

Good luck!

Thank you very much! Do you think it would be okay to use the CA or Pro with the Freestyles? The fitter said they should last me through singles and maybe even Axels, and that Debuts should be fine for doubles (not sure how many of them). Or do you think the new blades would make it so that I'd progress fast enough that I should get new boots as well?

Or maybe Debut/CA or Pro for jumps and spins and private lessons, but keep the Freestyles as-is for tons and tons of edge practice and lower level group lessons, then both will last longer? I definitely want to stay with Jackson, they fit like a dream.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you very much! Do you think it would be okay to use the CA or Pro with the Freestyles? The fitter said they should last me through singles and maybe even Axels, and that Debuts should be fine for doubles (not sure how many of them). Or do you think the new blades would make it so that I'd progress fast enough that I should get new boots as well?

Or maybe Debut/CA or Pro for jumps and spins and private lessons, but keep the Freestyles as-is for tons and tons of edge practice and lower level group lessons, then both will last longer? I definitely want to stay with Jackson, they fit like a dream.

I stated my opinion and answered these questions clearly in my last post.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland

It does sound like you've advanced past that boot/blade combo, so I echo what Ic3Rabbit said. Provided they fit you well, the Debut (or Premier) would be a great boot considering your size and skill level. If you get the new boots and blades, commit to those and retire the Freestyles. They've served you well but their watch has ended. You've outgrown them as a skater and it won't really benefit you to switch out to a lesser boot/blade.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Jackson's beginner blades (Mark IV/Mirage/Aspire) are notoriously flat rockered. Most people have difficulty doing spins on them. A Coronation Ace will probably change that for you.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Swapping back and forth like that at your stage would likely hinder your progress. Keep the Freestyle/Aspire XP combo for hacking around: e.g., outdoor rinks and frozen ponds.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Thank you, everyone! My brain is happy that I've outgrown my Freestyles, but my wallet is crying. :laugh: Here's hoping the hockey boys don't hog all the good pond ice this winter...