2019-20 European Ladies’ Figure Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2019-20 European Ladies’ Figure Skating

DenissVFan

Medalist
Sweden:

1. Östlund 157.80
2. Taljegård 141.91
3. Ling 141.62

(The difference between 2nd and 4th was 0.59 pts.)

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
I have no idea, to be honest - I don't track details like that very well.

Just to backfill a previous piece of information - the SIS internal qualification bar for Europeans and Senior Worlds is the achievement of 70.5 points in total TES across a single international competition (that's why Noémie Bodenstein wasn't in consideration for Euros despite making the podium: she has the ISU minimums but only met - read crushed - the SIS ones at Nationals). So their minimum tech requirement is 7.5 points higher than the ISU tech minimums for Euros combined. Does anyone know if any other Federations have similar internal qualifications to meet, and if so, are they as stringent?
Oh oh SIS, I didn't know that even though I am from switzerland. But to my knowledge there is no other federation that has higher minimums for euros and worlds than the isu ones. It's a shame that they are so strict, considering that skater also have to pass tests so that they even can attend certain competitions(which you need to pay for as much as comps), I feel like swiss fed is withholding a lot of talent instead of nourishing it

DenissVFan

Medalist
Italy:

1 TORNAGHI 190.02
2 PIREDDA 172.89
3 GUTMANN 171.38

Alessia has defended her title :) What a score, too!

DenissVFan

Medalist
Austria:

1 MIKUTINA 171.65
2 SCHALLER 165.24
3 PESENDORFER 148.09

Finland:

1 PELTONEN 174.29
2 SAARINEN 172.44
3 CEDER 160.87

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Results were already above, so I just tell this: Finland will send 3 ladies with 3 best SB:s and they are after today 1. Jenni, 2. Emmi, 3. Linnea. So they should send these three if they follow the rules they have. Substitutes will be Sofia Sula and Vera Stolt. In the rule is also that skater must score more than 155 in some international competition, at nationals or selection competition for nationals. These five ladies have now scored more than 155 in one or more of those competitions. Jenni did not have good day today and is lucky to get a medal, after Linnea and Vera skated well and clean, Sofia had 6 clean triples (only one of them was not good) but fall in 2A.

But in overall, the young 3 ladies placed 3.-5. had good day and Finland's future looks good. I won't bet Finland will keep the 3 spots at Euro's without Viveca, but there is some future and I hope for they can keep 2.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Will these results be available in some ISU or LOC database? None of the scores will win a medal, but it will be interesting to rank the skaters and see how they compete against each other.

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
Ah sometimes I would really wish that all the top ladies from each european country would get like an invitation to a training camp with Eteri :D certainly would make things interesting

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh oh SIS, I didn't know that even though I am from switzerland. But to my knowledge there is no other federation that has higher minimums for euros and worlds than the isu ones. It's a shame that they are so strict, considering that skater also have to pass tests so that they even can attend certain competitions(which you need to pay for as much as comps), I feel like swiss fed is withholding a lot of talent instead of nourishing it

Their Worlds minimums are lower than the ISU ones, thankfully, or I doubt they'd ever get to send anyone! But they've just increased the qualifications needed to get onto the National elite teams for next season, too. It does feel like they're trying to force a certain set of results instead of creating space for the talents of each cohort to emerge more naturally, though I guess it also gives the skaters clear benchmarks to strive for.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Their Worlds minimums are lower than the ISU ones, thankfully, or I doubt they'd ever get to send anyone! But they've just increased the qualifications needed to get onto the National elite teams for next season, too. It does feel like they're trying to force a certain set of results instead of creating space for the talents of each cohort to emerge more naturally, though I guess it also gives the skaters clear benchmarks to strive for.

Giving benchmarks or setting limits is OK, but they should be attainable with the local conditions in mind, i.e. hours of ice time, age and compulsory time needed on education for the students. I.e. if a typical student/skater only has a maximum of 2 hours training a day, and perhaps 4 on Saturdays, the demands should match what can be achieved by a young person trying to have a life.

We all know competitive sports take a huge investment in time, not only in the athlete him/herself, but also in the parents, the family, the broader support, i.e. grandparents, neighbours taking care of the little ones in the family etc.

Setting the benchmark too high will force the majority out, which means all those resources remain under utilised and the whole program and level drops.

None of the European skaters is able to win a medal against even Russia's B selection, so Euros essentially boils down to a France vs Italy, Belarus vs Ukraine, Switzerland vs. Austria etc. just to name some imaginary examples.

DenissVFan

Medalist
None of the European skaters is able to win a medal against even Russia's B selection, so Euros essentially boils down to a France vs Italy, Belarus vs Ukraine, Switzerland vs. Austria etc. just to name some imaginary examples.

Perhaps not this year but last year a non-Russian skater won the bronze, coming close to silver. Who knows how the future will unfold. There at least a couple of very capable non-Russian European ladies (unfortunately, many of them are currently injured or recovering from injury) who may contend for Euro medals again in a year or two.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Giving benchmarks or setting limits is OK, but they should be attainable with the local conditions in mind, i.e. hours of ice time, age and compulsory time needed on education for the students. I.e. if a typical student/skater only has a maximum of 2 hours training a day, and perhaps 4 on Saturdays, the demands should match what can be achieved by a young person trying to have a life.

True, but given the shall-we-say widely varying requirements of the different cantons' educational systems in Switzerland, it's a safe bet that the SIS knows the various requirements and demands placed on its skaters far better than anyone looking in from the outside would. The trick would be developing a model that accommodates all the variations as far as possible! Which is actually why I suspect they're switching to benchmarks based on age bands rather than team requirements: the idea being that once you're finished with post-compulsory secondary schooling, which is most likely to happen at or around age 19, you'll have more time available to put into your skating (according to their site, Yoonmi Lehmann initially took a year off to focus on her schooling, aged 19, but then seems to have decided to retire in the middle of that). The criteria for each age band at Elite, national and regional levels are here, if anyone's interested.

Given this model and the fact that Switzerland was in favour of increasing the International Senior minimum age to 16, it does look like they're aiming for phased, sustainable development that avoids burnout of young athletes, but I'm not sure it's going to have the desired effect until it's been in operation for a full cohort, which will be years down the track. And it may have unexpected consequences before then. They can't afford to bank on Paganini and Yamada not getting injured forever.

I do find it interesting that they make all of this information publicly accessible, though. I haven't found similar info on other federations' sites when I've gone looking.

Andrea82

Medalist
I have no idea, to be honest - I don't track details like that very well.

Just to backfill a previous piece of information - the SIS internal qualification bar for Europeans and Senior Worlds is the achievement of 70.5 points in total TES across a single international competition (that's why Noémie Bodenstein wasn't in consideration for Euros despite making the podium: she has the ISU minimums but only met - read crushed - the SIS ones at Nationals). So their minimum tech requirement is 7.5 points higher than the ISU tech minimums for Euros combined. Does anyone know if any other Federations have similar internal qualifications to meet, and if so, are they as stringent?

Why is it so stringent for Ladies and not for other disciplines? They are sending the pair team to Euros and they barely have the ISU minimums (and they didn't achieve them in the same competition).

I do find it interesting that they make all of this information publicly accessible, though. I haven't found similar info on other federations' sites when I've gone looking.

Italian Fed criteria for National Team 2020/21 is

Ladies aged above 19: 160 total scores and being able to do 4 different triples
Ladies aged 17-19: 145 total score and 3 different triples
Ladies under 17: 140 total score and 3 different triples

Both criterias should have been achieved twice in the current season. The jumps may be done in different competitions. They shouldn't be UR, with no wrong edge (unclear edge is ok) and at least one GOE should be above -5. National events are valid to achieve them.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Why is it so stringent for Ladies and not for other disciplines? They are sending the pair team to Euros and they barely have the ISU minimums (and they didn't achieve them in the same competition).

I suspect it's because Ladies is by far their most developed discipline. They only have one pair team for now so they get various exemptions to help them develop. But the requirements for Men's are pretty intense too, I just left them out because this is the European Ladies thread. :)

Italian Fed criteria for National Team 2020/21 is

Ladies aged above 19: 160 total scores and being able to do 4 different triples
Ladies aged 17-19: 145 total score and 3 different triples
Ladies under 17: 140 total score and 3 different triples

Both criterias should have been achieved twice in the current season. The jumps may be done in different competitions. They shouldn't be UR, with no wrong edge (unclear edge is ok) and at least one GOE should be above -5. National events are valid to achieve them.

Thanks! I missed seeing those when I went looking.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Israel, per Jackie Wong's post:

1. Iushenkova 156.02
2. Yoffe 151.43
3. Morris 146.47

Have we got the Dutch results?