Predicting the new music cliches | Golden Skate

Predicting the new music cliches

SmallAminal

On the Ice
What do you predict will be the new music "clichés" or overplayed pieces?

I bet we are going to see a flood of Billie Eilish's "Bad Guy" in Exhibitions or Showcase (isn't Alina Zagitova already doing it?)

What do you think we will get sick of this year?

Seven Sisters

Medalist
What do you predict will be the new music "clichés" or overplayed pieces?

I bet we are going to see a flood of Billie Eilish's "Bad Guy" in Exhibitions or Showcase (isn't Alina Zagitova already doing it?)

What do you think we will get sick of this year?

Elton John. I’m sick of him already, and the season has barely started!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Elton John. I’m sick of him already, and the season has barely started!

I was just going to post this :thumbsup:

Why does using 70s music depend on a movie being released:( At least I liked Elton John back in the day. Never liked Queen, and last year:slink:

ruga

Final Flight
I already heard that a girl from Korea and a dance (pair?) team from Russia are skating to Eilish for competitive programs. I think she will be even more popular for galas (dunno if Alina is still keeping her gala after all that fuss with plagiarism). Hope skaters will pick less popular pieces (ilomilo, i love you), not just 'Bad Guy'.

Other pieces I think will become (more) popular:
'Queen' songs
Lion King
A Star is Born
Richter's November (it's used by quite a few more skaters this season compared to last)
Notre Dame de Paris (at least for this season)

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Eh, it's only cliche if the skaters don't seem to have a particular take on the piece. I'm actually forward to all the musical numbers. Yeah, some of it is going to be overused, but it can't be as bad as that one year when we had four POTOs (I hope).

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Why does using 70s music depend on a movie being released
I did see one young boy skating to Earth Wind an Fire at a recent competition - I'm pretty sure his PARENTS weren't even born when the song was released. It was nice to see (and also the costume finally made sense when I heard the music....LOL)

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Let's at least hope that Tarasova/Morozov don't skate to "Old Town Road" or some other ridiculous music choice. I'm so sick of that song but you KNOW someone is going to try to use it (I'm looking at you, Jimmy Ma)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did see one young boy skating to Earth Wind an Fire at a recent competition - I'm pretty sure his PARENTS weren't even born when the song was released. It was nice to see (and also the costume finally made sense when I heard the music....LOL)

My boys! I adored EW&F back in the day:luv17:cannot tell you how many concerts I went to, hung posters in my college dorm room. I was hard core:biggrin:

I once went looking for skaters who had ever skated to EW&F, and, aside from cheesy Muzak for 70s ice dancers, I found Max Aaron had “In the Stone” listed as one cut in a novice program. For which there is no vid.

I want to see that young man’s program. And yes, I could be his grammy;)

Amei

Record Breaker
Eh, it's only cliche if the skaters don't seem to have a particular take on the piece. I'm actually forward to all the musical numbers. Yeah, some of it is going to be overused, but it can't be as bad as that one year when we had four POTOs (I hope).

I believe a couple of years ago at European Championships for ice dance they had like 3 or 4 Muse programs in a row.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm surprised we haven't seen more of Game of Thrones or the latest Disney remakes...

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I dunno, if somebody had the guts to skate to 'Pinball Wizard', I'd be kind of thrilled.

That would be out of the box, but that's The Who. Not that I'm a huge fan of The Who or Tommy, but I am a big fan of "use the original". Not that anyone listens to me:laugh:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That would be out of the box, but that's The Who. Not that I'm a huge fan of The Who or Tommy, but I am a big fan of "use the original". Not that anyone listens to me:laugh:

The film recording, though, that's pure Elton, and it's not the same as the original concept album version. Neither is the stage musical version the same. So I guess it depends on how you define 'original'! :laugh: