Transitioning to New Skates | Golden Skate

Transitioning to New Skates

tietzd83

Rinkside
I’m a 50 year old who recently began skating- primarily working on preliminary MIF and beginning dance.

I just switched out of my old beginner Jackson’s with MK Professional blades to the Edea Chorus with Eclipse Dance blades.

I’ve had them out twice now and have run into an issue with my right ankle. I seem to be pronating onto the inside edge and, after 20 minutes or so, having difficulty holding an outside edge without skidding. I’m also noticing discomfort in the right ankle that I am not experiencing with the left.

Is this just part of the breaking in process with new skates or would there be other potential issues I should be looking for?

Thanks for your suggestions...

Bill S

Rinkside
Country
United-States
It sounds like the blade is mounted a little too far to the outside. That would cause your ankle to rotate inward onto an inside edge, plus it will stress your ankle joint.

Do you know if the permanent screws have been set, or are you still on just the temporary mounting screws (the ones in the slotted holes)? If you are still on the temporary screws, loosen them and slide the blade inward. Snug the screws and skate to see if it's an improvement.

Only after determining that it works, then set a few permanent screws into the round holes.

Bill S

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Are all screw holes populated? Often, fitters will populate about half of the permanent holes to allow for a re-position.

If they have all been inserted, the old permanent holes will need to be plugged before new holes are used. I'm not sure what material and adhesive Edea recommends for plugs, but certainly something is possible. Can your fitter help?

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I had my left blade adjusted as well--make sure the fitter goes to the ice with you to see how much adjustment you need. It helped a lot. Good luck! I love my chorus as well (adult skater in my 40s).