SP and FS replaced by Technical and Artistic programs? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

SP and FS replaced by Technical and Artistic programs?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Maybe they should get rid of gender separation in the artistic program, make it an intergender competition.
I understand the reasoning for the division of genders in FS, after all, on average, women jump fewer revolutions in the air compared to men, so without separating them women would have fewer chances to win things.
However artistic program should be an ultimate equalizer for genders, an emphasis wouldn't be on the jumps, hence, why not make it a competition where everyone can participate.
Who wouldn't want to see Yuzuru battle it out with, let's say, Yuna, for the title of the world artistic figure skating champion? ;)

NaVi

Medalist
https://rsport.ria.ru/20190826/1557921557.html
2) if now ratio between TES and PCS is presumably 50:50 - then in technical program weight of PCS will be 40%, in artistic program - 60%

Ill keep an open mind... but it's the calculation that's the problem... not ratios and multipliers as such.

Like I said earlier, with the whole "Artistic" and "Technical" categories it's very easy to go down the wrong path.

I'd greatly prefer it called the Flexible or Freestyle program rather than Artistic. Because it's the flexibility and freedom that is needed to do more artistic programs. But it's still not an artistic contest and the "Artistic" label is just going to cause confusion.

And rather than "Technical", call it the "Full" program.

https://rsport.ria.ru/20190826/1557921557.html
New clarifications from Lakernik:

1) changes (if approved) will be adopted only after 2022
2) if now ratio between TES and PCS is presumably 50:50 - then in technical program weight of PCS will be 40%, in artistic program - 60%
3) in artistic program complexity will take a back seat. Skaters in that programs will do jumps, spins etc. too - but amount of elements will be less and their weight will be significantly lower

Could any kind soul give us non-Russophones a full translation?

Item #3 kind of puts the debate into focus. What is "complexity"?. Is "artistic" the opposite "complex" in the ISU's thinking? To use our poster child, is Jason Brown's Love is B program "less complex" than a program that goes quad, quad combo, 3A, bow?

gkelly

Record Breaker
In fact the one thing that the IJS does do is provide a variety of ways to score points so each skater can design his program to maximize his strengths.

This is the best potential of the IJS.

Now if only they would include more point opportunities for different kinds of jump difficulty based on challenges other than the number of revolutions in the air, and more opportunities to earn technical points through non-jump technical skills.

Then more skaters would have the opportunity to design their programs to maximize their strengths, more different kinds of strengths would be rewarded in elite programs, and fans would get to see more variety, with consistent rules (at least for each year, before they tweak them again) for how much each skill is worth relative to others.

Program components are always going to be more subjective. Nevertheless, I love breaking them down and want to see the use of the separate scores improved, not dismissed.

I do think that the skills that go into the various PCS -- especially Skating Skills -- are worth rewarding in a competitive context and that skaters who excel in these areas and are only average for their event at element skills should be able to find a strategy on a level playing field to compete with skaters who excel at difficult elements and are only average at PCS.

Obviously, anyone who can excel in both areas is most likely to win overall.

One program that lets the element experts compete with the all-around experts for technical medals, and another programs that lets the program component experts compete with the all-around experts for "artistic" medals (probably a better word might be more appropriate at least in an Olympic-style sports context) would be welcome IMO.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Could any kind soul give us non-Russophones a full translation?

It's words of Lakernik - I didn't add anything from myself :confused2: You can check it yourself through google translate - if you don't believe me. I omitted some lines which everybody knows already and left only key points though.

I'd greatly prefer it called the Flexible or Freestyle program rather than Artistic.

:rock: Freestyle -- I like it. Makes it sound like cool sports such as skateboarding.

And rather than "Technical", call it the "Full" program.

This one I am not so fond off. Makes it sound like Freestyling is less than a "full program."

It's words of Lakernik - I didn't add anything from myself :confused2: You can check it yourself through google translate - if you don't believe me. I omitted some lines which everybody knows already and left only key points though.

I believe you. ;)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe they should get rid of gender separation in the artistic program, make it an intergender competition.
I understand the reasoning for the division of genders in FS, after all, on average, women jump fewer revolutions in the air compared to men, so without separating them women would have fewer chances to win things.
However artistic program should be an ultimate equalizer for genders, an emphasis wouldn't be on the jumps, hence, why not make it a competition where everyone can participate.
Who wouldn't want to see Yuzuru battle it out with, let's say, Yuna, for the title of the world artistic figure skating champion? ;)

I’m :cool: with that. That’s what they did in the Peggy Fleming trophy, all genders in one comp. The top three were Jason, Andrew Torgashev and Karen Chen.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A little bit off topic here, but to me these little mini-spirals look better when men do them than ladies. I wish ladies would do more extended spirals where they hold the position longer.

Same with camel spins and spread eagles. To me, these are manish moves that enhance a man's program. But for ladies nothing beats a layback spin and an ina Bauer.

I know, I know, that's sexist. Women gymnasts should do the high bar and the rings.

I understand you. I'm a skating sexist, too. People can howl all they want, but my personal preferences are my own.

I just can't sign on to men doing laybacks, and I have to literally look away when a man does a Biellmann spin.

Although, a bit a disagreement. No problem with women doing camel spins, so long as the position is beautiful - like a really well-done spiral spinning around in one spot. I think the camel spin was traditionally a ladies spin in the early years.

And, come to think of it, I'm not overly fond of Biellmann spins for women, either.

Reddi

Rinkside
I'd greatly prefer it called the Flexible or Freestyle program rather than Artistic. Because it's the flexibility and freedom that is needed to do more artistic programs. But it's still not an artistic contest and the "Artistic" label is just going to cause confusion.
Freestyle is a great name. They could've introduced a new freestyle/extreme disciplines for gliders/quadsters if they want more medals and leave the existing all-around single skating as it is.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
To tell the truth this 4Lz phenomenon is utterly baffling to me. Only a few years ago we thought that a 4Lz was beyond the physical capabilities of the human body. Now all of a sudden little girls barely teenagers are throwing them off right and left, nothing to it. Want to see that with an intricate entry and arms over the head? OK.

Alysa Liu can do a 4Lz, but she can't do a 4T or a 4S -- too hard. (?)

As for points, people will do ANYTHING for points. If you offer someone 10 points he might say, nuts to you , that's too hard. Solution? Give him 20. He'll be in the harness the next day.

In general, though, I don't think there is anything much that the ISU can do about it. What is easy for one skater is hard for another. In fact the one thing that the IJS does do is provide a variety of ways to score points so each skater can design his program to maximize his strengths.

That's because they are not true 4lzes. It's infuriating to see ISU let that happen. Only Jin, Chen, Kolyada and Hanyu's 4lzes should have been ratified imo (i didn't give a close look to Samarin's).

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's because they are not true 4lzes. It's infuriating to see ISU let that happen. Only Jin, Chen, Kolyada and Hanyu's 4lzes should have been ratified imo (i didn't give a close look to Samarin's).

Zhou?

Sure, some have been < but he's also completely gotten round. I don't see an edge problem either.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Massive pre-rotation.

I'll have to go back and look when I have time, but I don't recall it being horrific.

I certainly don't remember it being like Shoma's 4F, for example.