Who's excited for Europeans? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who's excited for Europeans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearly

Record Breaker
I wish I was excited, but sadly I'm not. It all feels a bit small scale. As in, which of the three Russians will win. Which Russian pair will beat the others. Which Spanish dance team will beat the other. But no great question marks overall. 4CC and Worlds wouldn't feel much different, honestly. I miss all the skaters who retired after 2018. Also some interesting ones who are taking time off/recovering etc (Kolyada, some other Russian female skaters...)

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I am SO excited! I can hardly contain myself not to go to the train station and leave for Graz a day earlier (than I have a ticket for) ;) I'm so looking forward to ice dance. Just imagine seeing twenty-seven rhythm dances live! (I love RDs and prefer them so much over FD) And one of them will be the junior Czechs! And pairs is always exciting and as has been already mentioned it's so great to see that there will be 19 pairs. I'd love to see Russian sweep in pairs. And the best result possible for both Spanish pairs. It's for the first time ever that two Spanish pairs qualified for Euros! I'll probably skip ladies, I'll just come to cheer for Valentina Matos and will go sightseeing again. But that's just because I don't really watch ladies. Otherwise there certainly are exciting ladies skaters - Ekaterina Kurakova, Ekaterina Ryabova, Alexia Paganini, Mae Berenice Meite, Eliška Březinová, Nicol Schott... And men. Matteo! Kevin. Sasha. Michal. Dima. Deniss. Artur. Daniel. Michal.
It will be amazing. It's not always only about podiums... Europeans is my absolute favourite competiton and the most important one of the season. For me it's incomparable with any other competition. As European I feel closer to these skaters than to the world stars...

icybear

Medalist
Honestly I cannot understand why skaters dont treat 4CC as prestigious as Europeans. 4CC has so much more top ranked skaters than european if 4cc countries actually sent their top skaters. European ladies field is basically the 3a. I honestly cant name another ladies skaters there that is of interest.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think *skaters* treat 4CC as prestigious :scratch2: and as a fan of the men I certainly would rather attend 4CC than Euros, much as I love Kévin and Deniss:) And I am excited for Kevin and Deniss:clap:

I can’t say I’m excited for Euros ladies, but I’m not particularly excited for 4CC Ladies either. That’s just me and that discipline ;)

icybear

Medalist
I think *skaters* treat 4CC as prestigious :scratch2: and as a fan of the men I certainly would rather attend 4CC than Euros, much as I love Kévin and Deniss:) And I am excited for Kevin and Deniss:clap:

I can’t say I’m excited for Euros ladies, but I’m not particularly excited for 4CC Ladies either. That’s just me and that discipline ;)

If skaters treated 4cc more prestigious, they would not skip it most of the time. Like Kim Yuna only attended one 4cc. But world champions from Europe rarely skip europeans

Seven Sisters

Medalist

Euros might not be all that exciting for Men’s and Ladies but it is a real treat for those of us who love dance and pairs! To be honest I expect the Euros dance and pairs competitions to be much more compelling than their equivalents at US Nationals.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Euros might not be all that exciting for Men’s and Ladies but it is a real treat for those of us who love dance and pairs! To be honest I expect the Euros dance and pairs competitions to be much more compelling than their equivalents at US Nationals.

Well, it’s a little unfair to compare Euros to one country’s Nats. If we were talking about 4CC, for example, I would be more excited about seeing Madi & Evan and Piper & Paul; (and hopefully the Canadanes:pray:) but that’s is a matter of taste. And I love the US pairs, but they’re not competitive; again 4CC, the Chinese and the Canadians.

And of course between US men and Euros, no doubt who I’m watching, but there we’re talking my wheelhouse ;) which is not meant to dis Euros; if I found myself in Austria with a pair of tickets, I wouldn’t throw them away:laugh:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Well, it’s a little unfair to compare Euros to one country’s Nats.:

Comparing them only because both are happening the same week. I will also be riveted to the dance and pairs competitions at 4CC!

And I think Canada’s decision to make its worlds team placements contingent on what happens at this years 4CC will help to make this year’s edition especially compelling.

Amei

Record Breaker

I think most countries/skaters outside the US treat it seriously for instance Mao Asada went to almost all of the 4ccs in her career, I only see 3 seasons that she went to Worlds and didn't go to 4ccs (I don't know if she was selected to that team and WD though). In the US though, it seems rare that all of the US's top men and ladies go - it's usually the B team or ones that are not very competitive at Worlds that they go. Ashley Wagner in 11 years, most of which on the podium at US Nationals (if we include pewter, 4th place) only ever went to 2 4ccs when they were in the US so she probably got the metaphorical arm twisted to go

Amei

Record Breaker
Ladies, a metheor would have to fall down to preven one of the 3A to win.

While I agree, unless something absolutely crazy happens the only question about ladies is the order that Kostornaia/Shcherbakova/Trusova finish on the podium, but I still find these 3 to be very exciting to watch this competition and see what happens.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Easy for skaters in Europe to never have to miss Europeans even in an Olympic year since the competition is always on the same continent and is just a couple of hours away by plane. North American skaters don't have that luxury since 4CC is usually in Asia on the other side of the world. That's why US and Canadian skaters don't go to 4CC in an Olympic year. The travel to and from 4CC and then having to get ready to travel again to the Olympics is too much. Other then that Canada and the US usually send their World team to 4CC. Who knows why Ashley always bailed out going to 4CC but Nathan has a good reason not to go.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Easy for skaters in Europe to never have to miss Europeans even in an Olympic year since the competition is always on the same continent and is just a couple of hours away by plane. North American skaters don't have that luxury since 4CC is usually in Asia on the other side of the world. That's why US and Canadian skaters don't go to 4CC.

It’s also a timing issue, I think. The Euros competitors seem to have their Nationals in December, so the skaters have a bit of time to prepare between Nationals and Euros. By contrast, Canadian and US competitors have only 1-2 weeks between their Nationals and 4CC.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
In terms of Ice Dance...if no team makes a major mistake, I'll be very curious to see how the politics plays itself out. Excited is definitely NOT the word for it. Appalled? Disgusted? Yes, much better descriptors.

:disagree:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Comparing them only because both are happening the same week. I will also be riveted to the dance and pairs competitions at 4CC!

And I think Canada’s decision to make its worlds team placements contingent on what happens at this years 4CC will help to make this year’s edition especially compelling.

I'm not sure I would use the word "compelling." The phrase that more readily comes to mind is Canada's skating fed is "hedging their bets."

gmyers

Record Breaker
I mean mens is not competitive so that stinks!!! Back to one person dominating like Fernandez. No competition for Aymoz who will win by 50 or 60 points

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Honestly I cannot understand why skaters dont treat 4CC as prestigious as Europeans. 4CC has so much more top ranked skaters than european if 4cc countries actually sent their top skaters. European ladies field is basically the 3a. I honestly cant name another ladies skaters there that is of interest.

4CC can be more prestigeous only in men. Ladies, pairs and ice dancers are better in Europe.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Easy for skaters in Europe to never have to miss Europeans even in an Olympic year since the competition is always on the same continent and is just a couple of hours away by plane. North American skaters don't have that luxury since 4CC is usually in Asia on the other side of the world. That's why US and Canadian skaters don't go to 4CC in an Olympic year. The travel to and from 4CC and then having to get ready to travel again to the Olympics is too much. Other then that Canada and the US usually send their World team to 4CC. Who knows why Ashley always bailed out going to 4CC but Nathan has a good reason to not go.

Of course, Europe is such a small piece of Earth no bigger than Delaware. Leaning Tower of Pisa is just five good U. S. survey miles from the Big Ben. And travelling to some Seoul, who would dare to demand that. Where the hell it even lies... :laugh2:

skatenewbie

Medalist
Easy for skaters in Europe to never have to miss Europeans even in an Olympic year since the competition is always on the same continent and is just a couple of hours away by plane. North American skaters don't have that luxury since 4CC is usually in Asia on the other side of the world. That's why US and Canadian skaters don't go to 4CC in an Olympic year. The travel to and from 4CC and then having to get ready to travel again to the Olympics is too much. Other then that Canada and the US usually send their World team to 4CC. Who knows why Ashley always bailed out going to 4CC but Nathan has a good reason to not go.
Ashley did not go because she already won the gold medal i think. After she won she never goes to 4CC anymore

Of course, Europe is such a small piece of Earth no bigger than Delaware. Leaning Tower of Pisa is just five good U. S. survey miles from the Big Ben. And travelling to some Seoul, who would dare to demand that. Where the hell it even lies... :laugh2:
lol its true Europe id small. The time zone difference also only 3-4 hours, not 12+ hours like in America and Asia. Flying 12-20 hours is not the same with flying for only 2-4 hours and maybe 6-12 hours with train. The jetlag is not the same

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I don't want anyone to spoil my joy about EC so I won't come to this thread again but I'll just point out that while Europe may seem small (though, honestly I think that non-Europeans overestimate how small Europe is), some European skaters train oversees (T/M, P/C, S/D, Mae Berenice, Kevin) . They fly for nationals, then back to training AND then again for Europeans... :popcorn:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
lol its true Europe id small. The time zone difference also only 3-4 hours, not 12+ hours like in America and Asia. Flying 12-20 hours is not the same with flying for only 2-4 hours and maybe 6-12 hours with train. The jetlag is not the same

How about GP? Skaters, from the big great America, home of the free and home of the brave, must fly to Europe or Asia through so many time zones. Abomination! They should concentrate all FS competitions to Lake Placid.:laugh2:

Status
Not open for further replies.