Who's excited for Europeans? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who's excited for Europeans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
How about GP? Skaters, from the big great America, home of the free and home of the brave, must fly to Europe or Asia through so many time zones. Abomination! They should concentrate all FS competitions to Lake Placid.:laugh2:

Oh for god’s sake, this is not brain surgery. Scheduling is favorable for European skaters. It’s not for North American skaters. Most European countries have their nationals a month or more before the Euros, which is 7 weeks before Worlds. US and Canadian nationals are 1-2 weeks before 4CCs, which is 5 weeks before Worlds.

DenissVFan

Medalist
I love Europeans. This competition certainly means a lot to European skaters. It's also a great opportunity to see interesting skaters such as Sondre from Norway who may not qualify for Worlds and more than one skater from Finland and France in ladies, for example.

I was surprised but excited to overhear some people in the street talk about Europeans today.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Oh for god’s sake, this is not brain surgery. Scheduling is favorable for European skaters. It’s not for North American skaters. Most European countries have their nationals a month or more before the Euros, which is 7 weeks before Worlds. US and Canadian nationals are 1-2 weeks before 4CCs, which is 5 weeks before Worlds.

You say it as if it was european countries fault. What prevents US or Canada from shifting their nationals to some more convenient term? Also, e.g. Russia, but also Japan or Korea, have their nationals longer before Europeans, but also shortly after GPF, which can be also taken as a short term for regeneration. So don't cry about unfairness of the world and do something about that.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Most European countries have their nationals a month or more before the Euros, which is 7 weeks before Worlds.

Because federations, knowing the date of Europeans, which is a more important competition that nationals, schedule nationals in such a way that it won't interfere with Europeans.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
You say it as if it was european countries fault. What prevents US or Canada from shifting their nationals to some more convenient term? Also, e.g. Russia, but also Japan or Korea, have their nationals longer before Europeans, but also shortly after GPF, which can be also taken as a short term for regeneration. So don't cry about unfairness of the world and do something about that.

No, that’s simply your reading of what I said; I only stated facts.

You’re right that scheduling of the GPF/Japanese & Russian nationals is tough, but the posts in this thread were criticizing top North American skaters for not attending 4CC, in contrast to top European skaters - who virtually always attend Euros.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
So much negativity and bickering in a thread that started with excitement :(

Everyone can watch the competitions they like and 4CC has its own thread.

Thank you sk8kirsty for your excitement and well wishing for all skaters :thumbsup:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
No, that’s simply your reading of what I said; I only stated facts.

You’re right that scheduling of the GPF/Japanese & Russian nationals is tough, but the posts in this thread were criticizing top North American skaters for not attending 4CC, in contrast to top European skaters - who virtually always attend Euros.

It's not for the first time when people cry about this and this sentiment towards 4CC from Americans didn't start from here. All that "this is not so prestiguous competition" and so on. It's up to you, not up to us. And definiltely Americans can't expect that they will start talks about "how tiny Europe is" without someone making fun of them. ;)

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I love Europeans. This competition certainly means a lot to European skaters. It's also a great opportunity to see interesting skaters such as Sondre from Norway who may not qualify for Worlds and more than one skater from Finland and France in ladies, for example.

I was surprised but excited to overhear some people in the street talk about Europeans today.

I am so excited for Europeans and agree whole-heartedly. Beautiful skating from some of the very best, all contending with each other in a unique mix of the best skaters each European country can send! NBC Gold is carrying it all interwoven with US Nats - five days in Heaven. :luv17:

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
I don't want anyone to spoil my joy about EC so I won't come to this thread again but I'll just point out that while Europe may seem small (though, honestly I think that non-Europeans overestimate how small Europe is), some European skaters train oversees (T/M, P/C, S/D, Mae Berenice, Kevin) . They fly for nationals, then back to training AND then again for Europeans... :popcorn:
And Medvedeva [emoji119]

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
In terms of Ice Dance...if no team makes a major mistake, I'll be very curious to see how the politics plays itself out. Excited is definitely NOT the word for it. Appalled? Disgusted? Yes, much better descriptors.

:disagree:

I always find the politics fascinating but it is a little depressing.

Anyway let’s go Team UK! It’s PJ Hallam’s first Euros I think and Fear & Gibson have a good chance to do really well. 6th last year so perhaps 5th this year?

LadyB

Record Breaker
Excited is not the word, I’m totalling buzzing!!!!! I thought after Stolbova/Klimov I’ll never get nervous again for Pairs...and here I am!!! I love and will route for all three Russian teams and totally support the international Mozer brigade from Croatia (including Hana Cvijanovic), Italy, the Netherlands and Hungary. Well, and Haase/Seegert also trained with them.
Well, drinks are in the fridge!

Also looking forward to Dance. PapCiz is a given, so I’m hoping for safe twizzles from Nikita. After that...:popcorn:

In my heart of hearts I’m hoping Kevin gets the crown, but if Dima, Sasha, Artur or Moris raise to the occasion - fine by me.
Looking forward to watching and commenting with you, guys!
Healthy skates and a great event to all skaters!

icybear

Medalist
4CC can be more prestigeous only in men. Ladies, pairs and ice dancers are better in Europe.

Ice dance maybe and pairs maybe but 4cc has the reigning world pairs champion. Definitely not in ladies. Europe has the 3a who can beat any skaters in the world but apart from them everyone else is practically a nobody. They have next to no chance of even reaching the second last group in worlds. Whereas 4cc countries have Rika, Satoko, Kaori, Tennell, Bell, You Young, Eunsoo where most of them are top 10 contenders.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Excited is not the word, I’m totalling buzzing!!!!! I thought after Stolbova/Klimov I’ll never get nervous again for Pairs...and here I am!!! I love and will route for all three Russian teams and totally support the international Mozer brigade from Croatia (including Hana Cvijanovic), Italy, the Netherlands and Hungary. Well, and Haase/Seegert also trained with them.
Well, drinks are in the fridge!

Also looking forward to Dance. PapCiz is a given, so I’m hoping for safe twizzles from Nikita. After that...:popcorn:

In my heart of hearts I’m hoping Kevin gets the crown, but if Dima, Sasha, Artur or Moris raise to the occasion - fine by me.
Looking forward to watching and commenting with you, guys!
Healthy skates and a great event to all skaters!

I look forward to chatting with you on the competition threads, Lady B!

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
I am excited for Europeans!!
I have just read some bickering that I really don´t understand.

I can think of so many reasons to take this competition seriously, even with reverence… Maybe for European countries there's a longer tradition, everybody knows that we've been competing at wars for centuries… now, we have Eurovisión and all kind of sport competitions to keep alive all those years of competitiviness in a (much more) healthy way and, at the same time, I do think that there's a feeling of identity in being part of it (at least, I live it like that).

On the other hand, I don´t think that 4CC needs to be equal, maybe they need to work to create their own identity (if they think they need to) or they can do whatever they think is best for them. To be honest, if you are from a country with lots of top talents and limited spots (traditionally Canada, USA and Russia), it's normal to use 4CC/Europeans to give oportunities to those top atletes that won´t go to worlds. And if you are from a country with "not top atletes at the moment", 4CC/Europeans are great competitions for their atletes, they have easier access but have international experience and visibility.

World champions are decided at Worlds, here I want to see as much good skating as I can and discover new talents but, honestly, what I really care about the most, is for my favorite skaters to be there and do well and some of them are really far from the top. Apart from the podiums, there are so many interesting things happening in a competition with hundreds of participants! And what I like the most about skating is the possibility to enjoy the performances of all the participants, from the top to the bottom of the classification.

Let's go Europeans!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Ice dance maybe and pairs maybe but 4cc has the reigning world pairs champion. Definitely not in ladies. Europe has the 3a who can beat any skaters in the world but apart from them everyone else is practically a nobody. They have next to no chance of even reaching the second last group in worlds. Whereas 4cc countries have Rika, Satoko, Kaori, Tennell, Bell, You Young, Eunsoo where most of them are top 10 contenders.

I am not sure why we have to compare 4CC and Euros. I am excited because I like skating. I like especially good skating but I like skating. Another chance for the 3A's to compete. Some really interesting battles in pairs even without the Chinese or the French. YEs, 4cc's has some great competition in the men's especially with the top two duking it out; the ladies still has the Japanese, ET and the Americans (let's not talk about the glaring low spot- Canada's women lol) But this thread is about Europe. There are some fine ice dancing teams including the obvious run away fave to win France. And the men is great because while Kevin would appear to be the fave by far you never know which if any Russian will go for the jugular.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Yes!!!!! PJ!!!!!! I love PJ!!!!❤️❤️❤️❤️

He’s lovely isn’t he? I’m excited to see where he ends up. I think he’ll definitely qualify for the FS but if he can get top 20 I’ll be happy. He’s got charm to spare!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I like your style Olibritt! To be fair, I also always get excited by 4CC, but for slightly different reasons. For many smaller countries (in terms of figure skating that is) both are valuable and big competitions. I enjoy watching my favourite skaters, and there's a lot of those. For now I'm just really excited about Europeans coming up.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
I like your style Olibritt! To be fair, I also always get excited by 4CC, but for slightly different reasons. For many smaller countries (in terms of figure skating that is) both are valuable and big competitions. I enjoy watching my favourite skaters, and there's a lot of those. For now I'm just really excited about Europeans coming up.

In my case, I won´t say "excited for 4CC", but interested, that's for sure. I will look for Donovan (he's my favorite there), and for chinese pairs and for ice dance in general... I like japanese women but I get to see all of them at their Nationals.

I understand what you mean by "smaller countries" but I don´t think that the concept is usufull anymore. Ten years ago Spain was a "small country", is bigger now? We have some good skaters but still the same few icerinks. Some countries that are "big" in terms of the sport do not have top skaters. It's not long ago when Japan and Korea become big... Mexico is a "small country" and Donovan is not a top skater and I'm sure that just because he is there, lots of people will be watching 4CC. Small asian countries are begining to be interested and we saw Javi, a top skater comes from wherever they want to come...

In conclusión, for 4CC to be big it just need that the fans believe it and make it count, instead of complain. If the top skaters feel that their audience care about that competition, they will be there...

And I like your style too;)

Status
Not open for further replies.