John Wilson Blades | Golden Skate

John Wilson Blades

skatingfan2019

Spectator
Hi all
I was thinking about getting new blades but everyone seems to be out of stock on Gold Seal Revolution blades citing on JW being backlogged with orders and ETA would be about 8 weeks.
Is there a reason for such shortage of the blades?
Also wanted to double check what blade size I would need. I have GRAF boots in size 10.5 (actual boot sole is 290mm), would size 11 be ok?
Thanks

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hi all
I was thinking about getting new blades but everyone seems to be out of stock on Gold Seal Revolution blades citing on JW being backlogged with orders and ETA would be about 8 weeks.
Also wanted to double check what blade size I would need. I have GRAF boots in size 10.5 (actual boot sole is 290mm), would size 11 be ok?
Thanks

The Revolution blades are made in 2 pieces, the carbon chassis and the actual blade. Our skate tech/boot fitter told us that Wilson is having difficulty with the manufacturer who makes the chassis keeping up with the demand. MK (the other part of HD sports/Wilson/MK) are introducing a new model of MK Pro that is lighter than the current Rev. version and is a one piece blade that looks similar, but without the manufacturing complexity of the 2 piece Rev. blades. Our guess is that they will shift away from the current Rev. versions over time in favor of that model, if it's successful that is.

Sorry, no help on the blade sizing.

skatingfan2019

Spectator
The Revolution blades are made in 2 pieces, the carbon chassis and the actual blade. Our skate tech/boot fitter told us that Wilson is having difficulty with the manufacturer who makes the chassis keeping up with the demand. MK (the other part of HD sports/Wilson/MK) are introducing a new model of MK Pro that is lighter than the current Rev. version and is a one piece blade that looks similar, but without the manufacturing complexity of the 2 piece Rev. blades. Our guess is that they will shift away from the current Rev. versions over time in favor of that model, if it's successful that is.

Sorry, no help on the blade sizing.

Thanks for the info. Isn't MK and JW are the same company coming from the same factory?
Do you have any time frame on when it may be released? But then isn't MK Professional is equivalent to JW Coronation Ace?

Should I wait or just buy regular blade or try something else i.e. Matrix Supreme? Is there a big difference between MK Gold Star and JW Gold Seal besides rocker size?

Sam L

Medalist
Hi all
Thanks

I wonder this has anything to do with Brexit

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all
Thanks

If you've never won Gold Seal Rev then this stock shortage is actually doing you a favor. The standard version of Gold Seal is better. The Revs have issues and also make it harder for deep edges as well as catch foot spins, etc.

skatingfan2019

Spectator
If you've never won Gold Seal Rev then this stock shortage is actually doing you a favor. The standard version of Gold Seal is better. The Revs have issues and also make it harder for deep edges as well as catch foot spins, etc.

Thanks for feedback.
What about Matrix? How good are they in comparison to Gold Seal or Pattern 99 or MKs?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for feedback.
What about Matrix? How good are they in comparison to Gold Seal or Pattern 99 or MKs?

I've worn Matrix and not a fan. They just give issues, they have a habit of falling out of the structure they go into and then your tech has to have a special jig for the sharpener to sharpen them and they need to know how to do it. Not worth it. After wearing almost every blade out there over the years, I'm with P99's for life. Gold Seals are great too, have worn them. The Phantom is as well. I can't talk too much on the Gold Star.

Phantom and P99's have aggressive toe picks so be aware of that. If that's not something you like then I'd go with Gold Seal or Gold Star. Just be aware of the different rocker sizes. The John Wilson have 8ft, MK have 7 ft. :)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I assume that by "actual boot sole" you mean the full length from the tip of the toe of the sole to the back of the (bottom) heel. Correct? If so, then 290 mm converts to 11.4 inches. Depending on the boot, the target blade length is either 1/4" shorter or the same as the full length [check with Graf how they specify the target length for your boot]. In which case, you would need an 11-1/4" or an 11-1/2" blade [an 11" may be OK if the target length is 1/4" shorter than the full length]. The Gold Seal Revolution is available in stock sizes only up to 11"; whereas the Gold Seal standard is available in stock sizes up to 12". So that's another factor you should consider.