Scoring | Golden Skate

Scoring

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Okay guys, please help, I'm very confused. Please can someone tell me how scoring works in skating? What is the score out of? What are examples of good and bad scores? What is the thing with like a score of 30... or 40... or something? ext.
Honestly I should know this but where I skate we don't use proper scoring [emoji51]
If you could let me know then I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks! : )

gkelly

Record Breaker
In the International Judging System that has been in use since ~2004, skaters earn points for each element they execute (jumps, spins, and step sequence for singles skaters). Each element has a base value and judges can also award pluses and minuses, essentially bonus points and penalties, based on quality. There is no official top score for elements, although there may be a practical maximum for best-in-the-world skaters who include the maximum possible difficulty with the best possible quality.

Judges also score the whole program on various program components for qualities that apply to the program as a whole. These are Skating Skills, Transitions, Performance, Composition, and Interpretation. Each one is scored on a scale of 0 to 10 with 0.25 increments in between. And then these scores are multiplied by factors depending on the kind of program. So in theory a best-in-the-world skater could earn 10s on all five components, times 1.0 in the short program and 2.0 in the free skate for junior and senior men. Other disciplines and other levels may have different factors, and lower competition levels may use fewer components.

The ISU website site is not easy to navigate, but it is authoritative source for international rules.
https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-communications
For the most recent Scale of Values see ISU Communication 2253. For additional details about scoring of singles/pairs elements, see Communication 2254.

Most countries follow ISU rules exactly at junior and senior levels but may adapt the scoring system or use a different system entirely at lower levels. You'd have to check with your federation about what they use at your level or the levels you're watching.

If you're asking as a fan watching elite skating, then the ISU documents will tell you what you need to know and other fans here at Golden Skate can explain many specific details or answer specific questions.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
In the International Judging System that has been in use since ~2004, skaters earn points for each element they execute (jumps, spins, and step sequence for singles skaters). Each element has a base value and judges can also award pluses and minuses, essentially bonus points and penalties, based on quality. There is no official top score for elements, although there may be a practical maximum for best-in-the-world skaters who include the maximum possible difficulty with the best possible quality.

Judges also score the whole program on various program components for qualities that apply to the program as a whole. These are Skating Skills, Transitions, Performance, Composition, and Interpretation. Each one is scored on a scale of 0 to 10 with 0.25 increments in between. And then these scores are multiplied by factors depending on the kind of program. So in theory a best-in-the-world skater could earn 10s on all five components, times 1.0 in the short program and 2.0 in the free skate for junior and senior men. Other disciplines and other levels may have different factors, and lower competition levels may use fewer components.

The ISU website site is not easy to navigate, but it is authoritative source for international rules.
https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-communications
For the most recent Scale of Values see ISU Communication 2253. For additional details about scoring of singles/pairs elements, see Communication 2254.

Most countries follow ISU rules exactly at junior and senior levels but may adapt the scoring system or use a different system entirely at lower levels. You'd have to check with your federation about what they use at your level or the levels you're watching.

If you're asking as a fan watching elite skating, then the ISU documents will tell you what you need to know and other fans here at Golden Skate can explain many specific details or answer specific questions.
Thank you!! I understand this now! Thanksss : ))