Switching blades from thirds to fourths | Golden Skate

Switching blades from thirds to fourths

thesoundofice

Rinkside
Hi everyone,
A girl from my rink needs to change blades. She's currently in Edea Overture /Edea Balancé blades. She bought a pair of Mk double star. It was a good bargain since the blades are discontinued. But there might be a problem.
Edea blades sizing is in thirds ( in her case 9 2/3) but mks are in fourths ( 9 3/4). She checked the comparison charts and 9 3/4 is the right size for her boot. So she'd switch from 9 2/3 to 9 3/4.
Since the blade sizing is slightly different, could this affect the mounting process and damage the boots?

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
It should be fine as long as the remounting is done properly. If she takes them to a reliable skate tech she shouldn’t have a problem.

Last edited:

zjamic

Rinkside
It should be fine as long as the remounting is done properly. If she takes them to a reliable skate tech she shouldn’t have a problem.

I'm with botsonskaterguy86. As long as she goes to a reputable and knowledgeable skate tech that knows Edea boots then she should be fine. If she is concerned she can go onto the Edea website and look for blade sizes that would work for her boot size.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The change in sizing per se is not of importance. Mounting hole configurations are not standardized. Even if you were to change to a different model blade of the same size, chances are that the new blade won't fit the old mounting holes (or, if it did by chance, the old mounting holes might be too worn to be reused). You need a competent tech capable of plugging the old holes and drilling new holes. Note that Edeas have a thin, carbon-composite sole; they require special plugs and special screws. Be sure to go to a tech with specific Edea experience.

thesoundofice

Rinkside
She's spoken on the phone with a tech that we thought was quite reliable.. He said he wouldn't mount the blades without giving any particular reason or explanation. He just said that mounting the blades could damage the boots. This answer seemed so weird to me since I had switched to Mk Pros from an Edea blade ( similar situation of my friend) but I had no problem at all. The blades were mounted from a good tech. He had to drill new holes but he did a wonderful job.
Moreover, my friends skates are new. I guess the current holes are not worn out as were mine.
Thanks so much for your replies.
Really helpful 😃