Wrong ideas you used to have about figure skating... | Golden Skate

Wrong ideas you used to have about figure skating...

VenusHalley

Final Flight
This should be fun.

I watched figure skating as a child with my parents and I used to thin that:

- toeloop is called "tulip"
- triple salchow is the hardest jump out there
- that the second mark in 6.0 system depended on how pretty your dress was
- that Oksana Baiul was Russian and that Surya's last name is BonaRy
- that separate medals were given for gala.
- that every skater had to go pro after skating for certain amount of time and they had to skate as pro for sometime and could not simply retire.
- That most skaters from different countries trained together somewhere.

I may add more later. I am certain i had lots of mistaken ideas.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power šŸ»
Record Breaker
My misconception: thought as a young skating fan that Rittberger and Loop were different jumps and was frustrated that I never knew how moderators could tell them apart. I blame one moderator, who always used both terms and never explained that it was the same jump lol.

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
I didn't understand Ice Dance and Pairs were different disciplines and was frustrated the Ice Dancers didn't throw their partners a few meters into the air and still got gold medals. :palmf::biggrin:

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I didn't understand Ice Dance and Pairs were different disciplines and was frustrated the Ice Dancers didn't throw their partners a few meters into the air and still got gold medals. :palmf::biggrin:

I did mistake these too, but then again in Czech these are called "sport pairs" and "dance pairs", so that may cause some of the confusion?

Thinking SOW-COW was the name of a jump...ā€¦.:laugh2:

To tell the truth, I still don't know how to pronounce Salchow. The "w' is pronounced as an English "v," right? So the last syllable is "kov." (Ulrich Salchow was Swedish (though actually born in Denmark, IIRC)).

I don't know how to pronounce the first syllable. But I am pretty sure that the following is dead wrong (in both syllables, plus the ch sound). :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CoiQr6Pl-k

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Most of my skating education started with Calgary Olympics. I'd been watching since 1976 but never really listened. Sooooo......

1. I thought the spin was called a "Fieldman's Spin", and Simone Koch had the loveliest one in the competition.
2. I thought the Loop jump was the hardest because Uncle Dick said it was an "excruciatingly difficult jump". Nothing said about Ito's lutz though. I also didn't know that Dick was the first person to land that excruciatingly difficult jump either...

randomfan

Record Breaker
I thought all jumps were called axels...donā€™t ask me how I thought of something so stupid :cry:

The first competition I watched was the 2010 Olympics and I literally thought ā€œWow! Yuna Kim landed 11 axels!ā€ :laugh:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
To tell the truth, I still don't know how to pronounce Salchow. The "w' is pronounced as an English "v," right? So the last syllable is "kov." (Ulrich Salchow was Swedish (though actually born in Denmark, IIRC)).

I don't know how to pronounce the first syllable. But I am pretty sure that the following is dead wrong (in both syllables, plus the ch sound). :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CoiQr6Pl-k

I like to pronounce it as "sol-coe".

macy

Record Breaker
This should be fun.

I watched figure skating as a child with my parents and I used to thin that:

- toeloop is called "tulip"
- triple salchow is the hardest jump out there
- that the second mark in 6.0 system depended on how pretty your dress was
- that Oksana Baiul was Russian and that Surya's last name is BonaRy
- that separate medals were given for gala.
- that every skater had to go pro after skating for certain amount of time and they had to skate as pro for sometime and could not simply retire.
- That most skaters from different countries trained together somewhere.

I may add more later. I am certain i had lots of mistaken ideas.

this is so pure :laugh:

I like to pronounce it as "sol-coe".

I don't know if the L is actually voiced (walk and talk). I wonder if something like "Sockoff" is anywhere close.

Any Swedish speakers out there?

Edit: here are some Swedish spekers saying Ulrich Salchow (scroll down to Swedish). I can't say that I am any the wiser. :laugh:

https://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Ulrich Salchow

For the English (USA) speakers, the first is the clearest. And it does indeed sound like Sow-cow.

hanyuufan5

āœØ*ļ¼Š:怂*
Medalist
I thought that the only difference between the skates the elites wear and cheap recreational skates was the price tag, that more expensive skates looked nicer and lasted longer but weren't actually different. :palmf: By the grace of God, I made it to Freeskate 1~2 in used recreational skates without injury. :pray: Gives me the shivers just thinking about what I was risking, to say nothing of how much faster I could have progressed.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I definitely think that Goldenskate needs to correct this!!! William F and Mathman will change how pronouncers say it to the correct way! There are many different pronunciations. Do I need to track down a descendant and then harass Ted Barton and every other commentator to say it correctly? LOL. I will. I'll create a movement for them to say it correctly!! God knows I couldn't do the same with the Korean team... I'm on it now!

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
I thought skaters improvised jumps/spins to random music selections at competitions :laugh:

seimei

On the Ice
I think it's a common mistake, but I thought three turn means turn three times.

Actually, I kinda wish they would.

I'd watch that competition.

Remember those old pro competitions called "Improv-ice"? The skaters would draw their music out of a hat, then have maybe an hour to put together some sort of appropriate program. One notable performance was Todd Eldredge taking on "Who let the dogs out?" (Not exactly his usual "1492"-type thing.)

One time Surya Bonaly (or Bonary :) ) came to the show prepared with a big trunk full of costumes. When she drew a country and western song, no problem. She just whipped out a cowgirl outfit and away she went. (I wondered later if it was all planned out that way beforehand.)

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
When I first started watching (Vancouver Olympics) I thought it was a female-only sport like Rhythmic Gymnastics :eek:: I soon learned that shock and awe, not only were there men, but also pairs and ID where a man and a woman form a team! I blame our TV channels, they didn't bother to mention the other diciplines during the Olympics (because no Koreans means not noteworthy) :eek:hwell:

On a tangent, am I being annoying by ranting about how our skaters' names get butchered? I had just made recordings to send to Ted for this week's JGP... :slink: