Videos for 2020 | Golden Skate

Videos for 2020

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, I got up, went to check out youtube links to the Russian mens' test skates and guess what? They're mostly not there any more :sad21:

So in the public interest can I recommend anyone who doesn't already have a youtube downloader get one? It's sad, but it's gonna be needed from now on. Given the unearthly hours ACI and Skate Canada will be, I am praying that someone will save and share them somewhere else, especially you know who, because I know I am going to fall asleep in front to of the laptop before he sets foot on the ice...

PS - just out of interest's sake, how many skating videos have people saved already? I'm curious as to whether I'm a Bad Fan...

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I’m so glad you started this topic because I have noticed a change this year as well. Mainly that the streams from the ISU JGP channel are no longer staying up so that they can be watched later if you cannot watch live. This is going to be a problem for me this weekend with the 9 hr time difference between EST and Chelyabinsk. And with Lombardia and Autumn classic going on the same weeekend it’s going to be insane.

I really wish I would have known that this was going to be a problem a month ago so that I could be more prepared. I’ve been researching programs I can use to record streams but without much technical knowledge it is difficult. It’s not something I am going to be able to figure out over night. And it seems like you have to be at your computer when the stream starts to record. If I could be at my computer when the stream starts I would just watch it lol. Hopefully we can come up with a solution. Some kind of database where people can share streams that they have recorded is an excellent idea.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is a terrible problem. I watch on my tv with my firestick. So live is the only option. I used to just watch the threads later. It's going to be impossible, now that the senior challengers have started. And the times for some of the junior competitions are not realistic for me to watch them live.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I literally went for a hike seeing videos were up for everything Russian test skate related and came back to find all of them gone, sigh. Some of the Russian test skate videos have reappeared since (for example here's Mikhail Kolyada's FS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuzMBQUfVAs) I was frustrated a couple weeks ago when after hearing recommendations for a few of the non-medalist junior free dances almost all of them were blocked in my country due to music claims so yeah, it feels like this season's already worse in that regard.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Well, even if the Russian TV company got all the videos ripped from the stream out, they more than compensated that action by uploading very good quality videos of (as far as I can see) just about everything. With interviews to boot (not very useful though for a non-Russian speaker like me :laugh:). It took a few hours after the competition was over, but there they are:

https://www.youtube.com/user/1tv/videos

ISU has the JGP series performances up for at least a couple of years (https://www.youtube.com/user/ISUJGP2011).

The CS series tends not to be broadcast in most countries and at least last season quite a few federations/organizers set up streams, most of them for free. And I think videos uploaded from those streams tend to stay on?

Personally, I am more worried for how to watch the GP series live because in my country the rights are now with a commercial station instead of the public company which showed non-commented good quality live streams which also stayed up for a while afterwards...

E

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Well, I got up, went to check out youtube links to the Russian mens' test skates and guess what? They're mostly not there any more :sad21:

So in the public interest can I recommend anyone who doesn't already have a youtube downloader get one? It's sad, but it's gonna be needed from now on. Given the unearthly hours ACI and Skate Canada will be, I am praying that someone will save and share them somewhere else, especially you know who, because I know I am going to fall asleep in front to of the laptop before he sets foot on the ice...

PS - just out of interest's sake, how many skating videos have people saved already? I'm curious as to whether I'm a Bad Fan...

Hi OP I tried to send a private message but I guess that feature is turned off. After the last two weekends of skating it is clear that I need to learn to download streams. Unfortunately it seems that there are fewer Youtubers posting videos of the Challengers than in previous years and it is difficult to find videos of all the skaters I want to watch. Many of the videos that are posted are being removed so I can't go back and watch the performances again. It is no substitute for watching the competition live or on demand from a stream, and most of these events do not take place at a convenient time for me.

Have you downloaded any streams yourself? I was wondering whether you might be familiar with the kind of software that is used for this and could help me figure out how to do it. I have youtube-dl installed but am struggling to find a good tutorial for the commands. If there is any way you could help me I would be very grateful.

The same goes for anyone who is reading this. If there is anyone out there that knows how this works and could help me please let me know!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hi OP I tried to send a private message but I guess that feature is turned off. After the last two weekends of skating it is clear that I need to learn to download streams. Unfortunately it seems that there are fewer Youtubers posting videos of the Challengers than in previous years and it is difficult to find videos of all the skaters I want to watch. Many of the videos that are posted are being removed so I can't go back and watch the performances again. It is no substitute for watching the competition live or on demand from a stream, and most of these events do not take place at a convenient time for me.

Have you downloaded any streams yourself? I was wondering whether you might be familiar with the kind of software that is used for this and could help me figure out how to do it. I have youtube-dl installed but am struggling to find a good tutorial for the commands. If there is any way you could help me I would be very grateful.

The same goes for anyone who is reading this. If there is anyone out there that knows how this works and could help me please let me know!

I'm afraid I don't know how to download streams (luddite here) but if it's a competition where I'm interested in the skaters, I just keep one eye to the stream and another to youtube/daily motion and download as soon as the skaters I like appear on the latter (also bilibili once I have the translation of their names, but that's a notfun option sometimes) and before youtube can yank or mute them (Kevin and Yuzu's Prince pieces, and Yuzu's first Masquerade, for instance. Being a Yuzu collector does make one nimblefingered in this regard...)

But smaller competitions and less popular skaters still get missed, sad to say.