Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
This is soooo upsetting!! I’ve just written to the ISU to complain. I think that’s all we can do as fs fans to try to apply some pressure. I have a job so I can’t just watch live streams whenever I want. I loved being able to record the coverage on the telly and then just watch it whenever I wanted and watch it again and again if I wanted. I don’t want to have to rely on YouTube. I’m old school and I still think watching fs on a telly is the best way to watch it, rather than a small computer screen, like most other sports!!!

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Both Sue Barker and Clare Balding did this weird thing that seems to have fallen out of fashion where they'd actually do some research on the thing they were commentating on so they knew what they were talking about even if it wasn't a sport they were usually involved in...

Noo still don't want them:disapp:

Louise Walden was quite good too !

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Both Sue Barker and Clare Balding did this weird thing that seems to have fallen out of fashion where they'd actually do some research on the thing they were commentating on so they knew what they were talking about even if it wasn't a sport they were usually involved in...

Oh, don't start me on people in the media not doing background research on what they are talking about.

This morning, I read a story on the website of a newspaper that has now gone online only. It was about two people, one of whom is in the public eye in another country. But, they failed to mention a significant detail about the famous person. And, as a result of this not being mentioned, the story took on a totally different complexion.

So, I complained, saying that I know the newspaper industry is going through hard times, but they should not be resorting to running stories that are deliberately misleading to try to draw more people to read them. And they got back to me, apologised and explained that they would never do that and that it was a genuine mistake. They also said that they would add the detail in, which they did.

But, it just shows the sort of damage that can be done by not doing your research into what you are talking about. All it would have taken was a quick look at Wikipedia, and the thing they missed would have become obvious immediately. (Not that I am encouraging serious journalists to rely on Wikipedia. I am just saying that the detail is easily found).

It is much better to take the time to do your research rather than saying incorrect things that could lead you to get into trouble.

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
The most annoying thing about all this is we don’t know what, if any, our alternative way to watch will be. It’s disgraceful.

If the ISU want to do their own thing fine but let’s be having it then, rather than all this confusion!

DonnaR

On the Ice
This is soooo upsetting!! I’ve just written to the ISU to complain. I think that’s all we can do as fs fans to try to apply some pressure. I have a job so I can’t just watch live streams whenever I want. I loved being able to record the coverage on the telly and then just watch it whenever I wanted and watch it again and again if I wanted. I don’t want to have to rely on YouTube. I’m old school and I still think watching fs on a telly is the best way to watch it, rather than a small computer screen, like most other sports!!!

I feel the same way. I can't watch most of the live streams as I'm at work!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The most annoying thing about all this is we don’t know what, if any, our alternative way to watch will be. It’s disgraceful.

If the ISU want to do their own thing fine but let’s be having it then, rather than all this confusion!

Exactly. We're a week out and only the Americans know what they're seeing. Everyone else is completely in the dark. Great way to grow skating, ISU. Make it so that no-one knows how to watch.

russell30

Final Flight
Exactly. We're a week out and only the Americans know what they're seeing. Everyone else is completely in the dark. Great way to grow skating, ISU. Make it so that no-one knows how to watch.

So we do we know how/where to watch the GP or are we are still in limbo here in Europe?

I am hoping it will be like the JGP with Ted Barton, that would be cool but who knows?

madraykin

Rinkside
So we do we know how/where to watch the GP or are we are still in limbo here in Europe?

I am hoping it will be like the JGP with Ted Barton, that would be cool but who knows?

We're in limbo.

The ISU have reportedly told some people that there will be an announcement before the beginning of the GP events, but who knows what that will be.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Just did a search on the Sky EPG, and there is no sign of any GP coverage using the terms "figure" or "skating" during the next 7 days.

So, unless there are highlights somewhere from Sunday onwards, it looks like it isn't going to be on the TV anyway. :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Absurd.

This is no way to run a business. If skating fails to grow I don't blame the skaters. I blame the ISU.

russell30

Final Flight
How on earth the ISU are making money is beyond belief, most of the challenger events have looked empty too!!:scratch2:

russell30

Final Flight
Just did a search on the Sky EPG, and there is no sign of any GP coverage using the terms "figure" or "skating" during the next 7 days.

So, unless there are highlights somewhere from Sunday onwards, it looks like it isn't going to be on the TV anyway. :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

I have a SKY subscription, and only continued with it because of Eurosport (for the skating!) THEY just put our subscription up as well but now the skating won't be on there it looks like i will be cancelling it - but i will keep looking at the listings...

I suppose it doesn't bother Simon or Catherine they cover other sports, as you say Chris is coaching in Chicago US, I didn't realise Nicky had emigrated, but he looks like he is doing other things in Canada now...directing music etc...

As for BBC we might get highlights of the Worlds next year in Canada, they might stream it live on the Red Button, I like Robin but not at all amused with the new girl!! bring back Sue! or even Barry Davies out of retirement!

I suppose you tube would be fine, but they can be geoblocked or removed so you have to be super quick!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have a SKY subscription, and only continued with it because of Eurosport (for the skating!) THEY just put our subscription up as well but now the skating won't be on there it looks like i will be cancelling it - but i will keep looking at the listings...

Oh, don't start about price rises. Every year we have to put up with price rises from Sky and BT. We watch quite a few things on Eurosport, but if it wasn't for the MotoGP, we would get rid of BT Sport in a shot! But the thing that gets to me is the way Sky are raising their prices, but the number of channels is reducing! So many channels have closed over the past year or two, and there have not been many launches to make up for it.

I suppose it doesn't bother Simon or Catherine they cover other sports, as you say Chris is coaching in Chicago US, I didn't realise Nicky had emigrated, but he looks like he is doing other things in Canada now...directing music etc...

Yeah, I've listened to some of Nicky's music, and it is actually quite good. But, I would still prefer to hear him talking to us about skating!

As for BBC we might get highlights of the Worlds next year in Canada, they might stream it live on the Red Button, I like Robin but not at all amused with the new girl!! bring back Sue! or even Barry Davies out of retirement!

Wow. I didn't even realise Barry Davies was still alive! :shocked: He was before my time, so I can't really comment. But I wonder what he thinks of the mess we have now (and what he thinks of Kat Downes... :p )

Doesn't look like it will be on the Red Button channel, as any skating on there would have come up when I did the EPG search. BUT, I think our best hope might be that the BBC might stream the skating on their website. But, the Live Guide page on the website only goes as far as tomorrow!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live-guide

I suppose you tube would be fine, but they can be geoblocked or removed so you have to be super quick!

Tell me about it! During the Junior GP, the archived livestreams were getting zapped in no time. And although the individual routine videos survived, some of them had the sound muted when the music was playing. And it is just not the same watching people skating to silence.

But, on some of the videos they were even having to mute them between skates because of music being played in the arena! :eek: Which meant that people who weren't fortunate enough to watch LIVE missed out on Ted Barton's comments.

It's an awful situation we are in. And if something isn't sorted soon, figure skating is going to become even more obscure in Europe than it already is. If figure skating isn't easily accessible on the TV or online, kids aren't going to see it. As a result, less kids will become inspired to take figure skating, and the sport will die.

Sorry for being melodramatic, but it's true!

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Increasing relevant content for fans on TV, the website, social media channels
Hey, Mr Dijkema. Aren’t you forgetting something? Like, doing what you promised you and the ISU would do if you were re-elected?
SA starts in five days. This is so frustrating. :curse: I don’t want to have to resort to illegal streams on potentially not-very-safe websites.

Shedi0806

On the Ice
This is beyond comprehension. What are we supposed to do? There is only one week left...

Wasn't there an ISU rule that if the broadcasting rights were not sold in any given country they have to air a live stream in that given country or am I mistaken?

TryMeLater

On the Ice
How on earth the ISU are making money is beyond belief, most of the challenger events have looked empty too!!:scratch2:

The ISU has 250 Million USD in the bank..They have plenty of money.

BTW, in addition to contacting the ISU, I would contact your local federation as well.