Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport

NaVi

Medalist
Really? When half the world is asleep and has no possibility to watch live? That would be awful and certainly will not help to grow the audience.

What audience? No one is there and has not been there for 8 years now. I think Russia and Japan are the only ones that might show it live... Canada may show it in highlights IIRC.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I really like to have a commentated broadcast.

I absolutely love to watch, but struggle with the technicalities, and need someone more knowledgeable to guide me through.

Scrambling to find a pirated stream of dubious quality for each event, with no commentary, or commentary in a language I do not understand, is likely to turn me away from figure skating.

I don't care that much about commentary to be honest it is great to have but ok too without, my main problem is that I simply cannot watch FS online, I mean I can watch some videos now and then but to sit through 2 - 3 hours of competition in a row - my eyes kill me with a headache to follow. TV is entirely different thing especially that I could record comfortably BESP and watch at my leisure, oh no it is a total disaster :(

Tutto

Record Breaker
I also suspect this is the case. Until last week everyone was promptly getting their lukewarm, vague reply saying "announcement coming shortly, please be patient" - now they apparently decided to clam up all together. The silence, IMO, speaks quite loud.

And Eurosport's rather odd reassurance that they will get rights back next year kinda support our theory, don't you think?

My only hope at this point that BBC will step in and 'rescue' us by showing at least Euros & Worlds on the red button

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I received another reply from Eurosport and they apologised for letting me think earlier on they would be broadcasting FS events, but they are not because of the thing with rights. They also helped me in eliminating my subscription because I had renewed my Eurosport Player subscription in response to their earlier reply. I will also be getting my money back. Still very unhappy, but at least I am no longer paying for Snooker! Like some other posters, I have also asked the ISU about this. No response so far.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Really? When half the world is asleep and has no possibility to watch live? That would be awful and certainly will not help to grow the audience.

To be fair, wherever something is hosted, half the world will be asleep...

I've given up all hope of being able to watch any figure skating this season, other than in person because I have tickets for Worlds in Montreal. I now feel slightly less guilty about buying the pass!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Above anything the uncertainty is killing me. If all we get is the streaming from Russia, that's fine, but where will it be found??? I just discovered the old site I relied on (7streamking) is not working any more. So now...??? :eekn:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So America, Canada and Russia have broadcasts now...I guess all the other countries can go jump in the ISU's opinion?

Canada does NOT have broadcasts/coverage, other than Skate Canada and Nationals (and maybe Worlds????). SC and Nationals have been on CTV/TSN for years, while the rest have been on CBC. We're missing all the formerly-CBC events!

Most people can also watch a miserable pittance of a digest on NBC (the main channel).

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Are you guys tweeting the ISU account on Twitter? I scrolled through their tweets and replies and didn’t see any discussion there. Maybe that is a good place to get answers.

It’s interesting you say that because they must be deleting them or something because I tweeted them last week and have heard nothing back. I also noticed on their page that no one seemed to be asking question which I thought was weird! I’ve also emailed them and sent a message on Instagram and not received anything!

pesto

On the Ice
I don't care that much about commentary to be honest it is great to have but ok too without, my main problem is that I simply cannot watch FS online, I mean I can watch some videos now and then but to sit through 2 - 3 hours of competition in a row - my eyes kill me with a headache to follow. TV is entirely different thing especially that I could record comfortably BESP and watch at my leisure, oh no it is a total disaster :(

There is also that.

My laptop screen is pretty good actually, and I can play Youtube, ES player etc on my TV via firestick, which is better than that.

But streams vary in quality from excellent for both sound and vision (some of the JGPs have been good this year, ES player on demand is usually OK, too) to terrible, with buffering, lo-res and dreadful, out-of-sync sound.

And even if I can watch live, my partner often can't, so we have usually recorded BESP and watched together, non-live.

If we were guaranteed a high quality livestream that remained available to re-watch for a while after the event (as we used to get on ES player, along with the edited and commentated broadcast), I could cope with that.

But as it stands, we are days before it all kicks off, with no guarantees, no hints even, of how to watch the GP.

Skate97

Rinkside
So can anyone confirm whether CTV will be broadcasting Worlds in March since it takes place on Canadian ice?

I'm almost certain that CTV/TSN's broadcast deal with Skate Canada ONLY includes Skate Canada International and Canadian Nationals. Worlds are part of the international broadcast rights, even if they take place in Canada. For instance, in the 2012-2013 season, CTV/TSN aired Skate Canada and Nationals, but CBC had all other international events, including Worlds (in London, Ontario that year).

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I'm almost certain that CTV/TSN's broadcast deal with Skate Canada ONLY includes Skate Canada International and Canadian Nationals. Worlds are part of the international broadcast rights, even if they take place in Canada. For instance, in the 2012-2013 season, CTV/TSN aired Skate Canada and Nationals, but CBC had all other international events, including Worlds (in London, Ontario that year).

Thanks for the info.

Somebody above said they thought the contract allowed CTV/TSN to broadcast Worlds that take place in Canada. But it appears that's not the case, after all.

LynsJ

On the Ice
I received another reply from Eurosport and they apologised for letting me think earlier on they would be broadcating FS events, but they are not because of the thing with rights. They also helped me in eliminating my subscription because I had renewed my Eurosport Player subscription in response to their earlier reply. I will also be getting my money back. Still very unhappy, but at least I am no longer paying for Snooker! Like some other posters, I have also asked the ISU about this. No response so far.

Can I ask how you contacted them as they previously assured me they would be showing it and I have been paying subscription as I was assuming they were airing it. Thanks

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I just put forward a question about this issue on their 'customer service' page where you can put forward questions about issues not covered by the page itself. I think it was at the general Q&A page, and I had to put down my email address as well. I got an answer on e-mail less than a day later on which I could reply with the request to help me with eliminating the subscription. And they did.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So you want to watch FS says that NBC might have unblocked stream for partial coverage, and so do the Russians (full coverage there):

https://soyouwanttowatchfs.com/post...-arena-ice-star/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Caveat: I don't think that NBC itself would be providing an unblocked NBCSN stream??

I think the idea is that a third party would be providing an unauthorized unblocked NBCSN stream??

Just mentioning because I don't think NBC would deserve either the blame or the credit for whatever the quality of that stream turns out to be, whether bad or good.

… The 4CC and Junior Worlds are always empty and they shouldn't be... if the ISU wants more money they should fix that by doing better with event location selection.

I would be completely OK with Japan hosting Junior Worlds permanently. ...

When is the last time that the Japanese federation entered a bid for Junior Worlds?
It has not done so in recent years.

And for some years, it seems that only one federation has bid for Four Continents. USA for 2019; Korea for 2020; Taiwan for 2022.
(2021 was an exception to this pattern.)

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This just went up on the ISU website - thanks to morquet at FSU for catching it!

The ISU is pleased to announce that all ISU Events, from the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating, ISU World Cup Speed Skating, ISU World Cup Short Track Series and ISU Championships will be live streamed on the Skating ISU YouTube Channel as of season 2019/20.

Per the announcement, the stream will be geoblocked in regions where broadcast deals have been arranged but otherwise generally available - details of any restrictions to be published before each event on the ISU site.

Nice save, ISU - just.

ETA: LOL - how many of us were waiting to pounce on any hint of news!!! :laugh:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Enormous sigh of relief.... but I would hope no geoblocking involved...???