Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Enormous sigh of relief.... but I would hope no geoblocking involved...???

It's all about the money, so geoblocks are necessary in their belief. Still, no big money deals on continental TV rights for ISU it seems. i.e. where I live, The Netherlands, we have lots of speed and short track skating on main TV channels live, so the geoblock might stay in place for figure skating. Have to wait and see. Best switch the bell on so I'll get notifications when a stream will start.

Geoblocks are sort of useless as they can be circumvented, but best not tell ISU ;-)

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Wooooooow..... seriously?!?!?!

Edit; I do naively assume the ISU are smart enough not to geoblock figure skating when a country has bought partial licensing for other skating events. From the sound of it, I think we are okay, as the ISU say they will publish a how to watch for every event, so it seems they do look at every event separately.

Bcash

Final Flight
Hopefully the camera work will be good now that some of the legacy broadcasters are no longer involved? Or were they not responsible at all for camera operation in the first place?

pesto

On the Ice
I'd have preferred a TV broadcast, but this is very good news, compared to the fear of not having any reliable source.

It's dashed late in the day to let us know, however.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I'd have preferred a TV broadcast, but this is very good news, compared to the fear of not having any reliable source.

Hopefully the camera work will be good now that some of the legacy broadcasters are no longer involved? Or were they not responsible at all for camera operation in the first place?

If they bring in Ted Barton and crew, we should be OK over camera work and commentary. Perhaps ISU and the local networks operate side by side since there is need of local and international commentary, interviews etc?

Wait and see, there is nothing more we can do about it now the deals have been struck or failed.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, at least there is this. We weren't Geo-blocked in earlier years when Eurovision did all this, so I hope this will be okay now.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow! Finally!

Youtube is also much more readily accessible and easier to chromecast at higher quality!

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Youtube is brilliant for watching on TV, for me there is no difference watching TV or youtube stream on TV via, for instance, appleTV or PS4 or iPhone.

I just wonder how the ISU think this is better, money-wise, than Eurosport? What kind of advertising can we expect on youtube? Better not be too much!!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Youtube can certainly be better, up to 4K UHD and HDR, ideal for our big screen OLED TV.

All TV is digital nowadays, be it DVB over air, DVB over cable or satellite.

About commercial we have to wait, ISU has little control over what advertisements will be shown, those depend on your device settings.

I have a feeling most of the big deals they were expecting fell through, and ISU couldn't really expand their market outside of traditional territories. So after all Ted Barton's announcements during JGP events were true, ISU had something surprising for us in store ;-)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And there I was preparing myself for a season of watching only Senior B's.

Although I would have preferred TV coverage, at least the ISU are giving us online coverage. And at least it will be on a proven and user friendly streaming site.

Personally, I'm not bothered whether there is commentary or not. I do like having somebody who can pick out things that I mightn't notice, but I prefer if we see the routine itself without commentary and any analysis is done during the highlights. In other words, like Ted does.

What I will say is that I hope Red Brick are producing the coverage, because they have done a great job with the Junior GP's over the past few years, as well as with the Major Championships that they have worked on.

CaroLiza_fan

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
If they bring in Ted Barton and crew, we should be OK over camera work and commentary. Perhaps ISU and the local networks operate side by side since there is need of local and international commentary, interviews etc?

Wait and see, there is nothing more we can do about it now the deals have been struck or failed.

OMG don't tempt me to get overly hopeful :hap85:
about geoblock I just remembered Viasat, so I am a little concerned for the nordic folks. But the rest of Europe was left uncovered after Eurosport ditched them, so theoretically they should be safe, or so I hope...??

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So besides the GP series are all the big events going to be on the ISU Youtube channel such as 4CC, Europeans and Worlds?

Starry Up

Rinkside
What a relief! I think this is great news and will save those of us who are used to pay for Eurosport £40 per year. It's still a shame they've left it so last minute to announce that there's no time for them to really promote it - I'm sure stone casual fans who used to tune in on tv will not seek our the YouTube channel unless it's promoted to them.

My only actual worry is that this will lead to copyright take downs of programmes to high profile music.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

If you visit video archives on their skating channel:
https://www.eurovisionsports.tv/isu/figure-skating/
you can see that even the events where usual broadcasters weren't involved have some quality (apart from the last junior worlds ;) ).

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
My only actual worry is that this will lead to copyright take downs of programmes to high profile music.

Oh. Oh no, you’re right, that’s been happening to so many of the JGP videos, and so fast, too. :-( Where is our guarantee that won’t happen with these streams and videos, too?

s1alker

Rinkside
This just went up on the ISU website - thanks to morquet at FSU for catching it!

The ISU is pleased to announce that all ISU Events, from the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating, ISU World Cup Speed Skating, ISU World Cup Short Track Series and ISU Championships will be live streamed on the Skating ISU YouTube Channel as of season 2019/20.

Per the announcement, the stream will be geoblocked in regions where broadcast deals have been arranged but otherwise generally available - details of any restrictions to be published before each event on the ISU site.

Nice save, ISU - just.

ETA: LOL - how many of us were waiting to pounce on any hint of news!!! :laugh:

Oh that's wonderful! I figured they were going to do something like this. Now I won't need to buy expensive NBC Gold package since I can just use a VPN if it's geoblocked.

Do you think there will be commentary?

LaArdilla

Medalist
Wow, what a relief. If this is what it took for them to save face - chapeaux bas. No idea how they expect to earn more on YouTube than on Eurosport, but still, it's great news.

pearly

Record Breaker

It's dashed late in the day to let us know, however.

And there I was preparing myself for a season of watching only Senior B's.

Although I would have preferred TV coverage, at least the ISU are giving us online coverage. And at least it will be on a proven and user friendly streaming site.

Personally, I'm not bothered whether there is commentary or not. I do like having somebody who can pick out things that I mightn't notice, but I prefer if we see the routine itself without commentary and any analysis is done during the highlights. In other words, like Ted does.

What I will say is that I hope Red Brick are producing the coverage, because they have done a great job with the Junior GP's over the past few years, as well as with the Major Championships that they have worked on.

CaroLiza_fan

A cheap gadget can cast anything from your computer screen to your TV so this is basically a TV broadcast. But with this you get the full event, not just the last two groups and you don't have to worry about coverage starting late because the previous event has been extended for whatever reason. This is great.

If Ted Barton does end up doing the commentary, I just hope it will be different than the tone he set for JGP.

tafattsbarn

Rinkside
This is a relief. I'm not sure if viasat got the rights for fs in the nordic countries but i'd much rather get a vpn and stream through youtube even if that's the case.