Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I heard back from the CBC they will be showing worlds every day on TV!!

Thank goodness!!! It would been awful to have absolutely no Canadian coverage of the Montreal Worlds. While I do appreciate the (mostly) No Commentary livestreams on the ISU's YouTube channel, it's nice having CBC commentary on my TV.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Thank goodness!!! It would been awful to have absolutely no Canadian coverage of the Montreal Worlds. While I do appreciate the (mostly) No Commentary livestreams on the ISU's YouTube channel, it's nice having CBC commentary on my TV.

Do you or anyone know if CBC is live streaming the other ISU competitions: US Nationals, Europeans, 4 CC? There is nothing in their streaming broadcast schedule except the Worlds in March.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Aussie SBS will be live streaming Euros!

Although I haven't found a link, hopefully one appears.

Only question is will it be Chris by himself or SBS man by himself :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Aussie SBS will be live streaming Euros!

Although I haven't found a link, hopefully one appears.

Only question is will it be Chris by himself or SBS man by himself :biggrin:

Wow, really? That's exciting. I wonder if this means they're live-streaming 4CC too? It was infuriating to see us blocked from 4CC on the ISU channel when we're hosting next year's!

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just found it! In the app! It says "live in one hour 12 minutes". We can laugh that they used a shot of Nathan Chen for the thumbnail though.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just found it! In the app! It says "live in one hour 12 minutes". We can laugh that they used a shot of Nathan Chen for the thumbnail though.

:laugh: I didn't even notice! Perhaps they're hankering for the days of Dick Button...

Miller

Final Flight
Do you or anyone know if CBC is live streaming the other ISU competitions: US Nationals, Europeans, 4 CC? There is nothing in their streaming broadcast schedule except the Worlds in March.

According to the ISU's TV/Youtube guide (linked to a few posts back). CBC won't be streaming Europeans. However it should be visible on the ISU's Skating ISU Youtube channel (and without need for a VPN or anything like that).

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
They said they would at the end of the Grand Prix highlights a couple of weeks back, so I'll be keeping an eye on "On Demand" otherwise I'll have to break out the VPN.

Just since you mentioned On Demand services, last weekend I was actually glad that Eurosport had lost the figure skating rights. Because the Eurosport Player was driving me mad!!!

For the past few weeks, Eurosport have been getting very sloppy with trimming the videos. On the On Demand section on Sky, all the videos now miss the start of the programme. It is better on the website; you might get an ad or two before the start. However, if they do miss the start, it is nigh on impossible to get it because of the way the schedule page is now laid out. (PLEASE bring back the horizontal listings with separate rows for each channel / stream!)

This was bad enough. But then things started going heywire last week.

The archived videos of things shown on the linear channels were being removed 6 days after they were broadcast, when they are normally up for 7 days.

Then the same thing started happening to the archived videos of the extra streams, even though they are normally up for 30 days!

Then, the pages for the sports that lists all the archived videos started to only display the videos of things that were broadcast over the weekend, even though the older videos were still there (if you didn't already have the direct link, you were goosed!)

Thank goodness everything went back to normal yesterday.

But, it made me realise how much chaos this would have caused if they still had the skating rights, and we had been coming along afterwards. And how important it is to have the direct links to the videos.

Which is why over the years I always did reminder posts that included the Eurosport links when a segment was starting. So that it would be somewhere handy, just in case.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I was intending watching all of the Men's FS LIVE last night, but circumstances changed and I was only able to get as far as Samarin.

Got up early this morning to watch the rest of it, only to find that thanks to Muyap and SME, the archived livestream has been blocked!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh, and for those few videos that satine found and posted links to in the Videos thread, they have been blocked by infrontsports!!!!!!

You know, the crowd that the ISU have hired to promote the sport.

Thanks a bunch to the ISU for taking us into this great new era of watching figure skating online! :sarcasm:

CaroLiza_fan

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I feel your pain CaroLiza_fan. I got up early (not as early as you though ��) to catch up on the Men’s free only to discover it was blocked in the RoI as well. The funny thing was it was unblocked around midnight, when I started to watch but then I decided to hold on till the morning. It’s very frustrating, the ISU are not making it easy for the fans. Their viewing figures must be way down, not sure what this does to promote the sport.

On a separate note, who is the commentator on the livestream?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I feel your pain CaroLiza_fan. I got up early (not as early as you though ��) to catch up on the Men’s free only to discover it was blocked in the RoI as well. The funny thing was it was unblocked around midnight, when I started to watch but then I decided to hold on till the morning. It’s very frustrating, the ISU are not making it easy for the fans. Their viewing figures must be way down, not sure what this does to promote the sport.

Yeah, I got up early because I was awake anyway and already had a pile of other things planned for doing this morning.

That is the worst of it. I just don't know how the ISU thinks. In every other sport, the relevant governing body is doing things to try to get more people to watch. Yet everything the ISU is doing is working against that premise.

But, they'll spin it some way that makes it sound good rather than the overwhelming failure it actually is. Something like "moving to online coverage has increased traffic to the ISU YouTube channels".

On a separate note, who is the commentator on the livestream?

His name is Paul Alster. But, he's better known on here as "SBS Man", because he normally does the commentary on that channel in Australia.

Although he commentates in Australia, he's actually from Yorkshire.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

icybear

Medalist
The guy commenting on the Euros is so bland. He literally is giving an audio description of everything that is happening.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Really? Paul is a bit harsh (“That’s the last we’ll be seeing of her.”) to my ear. But then I did really like Chris.

I had an impression that he talks less during programmes and in a less animated voice, which I prefer.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I had an impression that he talks less during programmes and in a less animated voice, which I prefer.

I’m the opposite. I personally like the commentators to express their excitement as much as possible. For me peak commentating would be during the 2008 Brazilian Formula 1 Grand Prix (“Is that Glock?! Is that Glock?! It is Glock!!”) or in Football Manchester City vs QPR in 2011 (“AGUEROOOO! You’ll never see anything like that again!”) because I love to feel that passion.

I do agree that I don’t like it when commentators chat over the music but in something amazing happens I want them to express that.

Different strokes for different folks as they say. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I’m the opposite. I personally like the commentators to express their excitement as much as possible. For me peak commentating would be during the 2008 Brazilian Formula 1 Grand Prix (“Is that Glock?! Is that Glock?! It is Glock!!”)

You just had to use that example, didn't you.

I am still devastated that Massa didn't win the championship that year. (Long time Ferrari fan here. And on top of that I am somebody who has a tendency to support Brazilians anyway).

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
You just had to use that example, didn't you.

I am still devastated that Massa didn't win the championship that year. (Long time Ferrari fan here. And on top of that I am somebody who has a tendency to support Brazilians anyway).

CaroLiza_fan

Of course I did ;)

I’m not gonna lie I cried. The last corner of the last lap of the last race of the season. You couldn’t make that up, pure magic!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I was intending watching all of the Men's FS LIVE last night, but circumstances changed and I was only able to get as far as Samarin.

Got up early this morning to watch the rest of it, only to find that thanks to Muyap and SME, the archived livestream has been blocked!!!!!!

Oh, and for those few videos that satine found and posted links to in the Videos thread, they have been blocked by infrontsports!!!!!!

You know, the crowd that the ISU have hired to promote the sport.

Thanks a bunch to the ISU for taking us into this great new era of watching figure skating online! :sarcasm:

CaroLiza_fan

I feel for you. The ISU should really create their own website with unblocked archived streams to be able to offer something to people who cannot watch the real time stream. I couldn't watch men's stream due to other commitments either. Our state TV used to air all or almost all skaters (and each broadcast could be later found in their online archive), now they don't and only show a part of some disciplines. They told me earlier they don't archive their online streams. If you search for what you missed online, it is often blocked by TV rights holders or music companies or muted (Aymoz SP for instance). I wish skating was much more accessible than this, with the options one has today.