Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Do you guys think TSN/CTV might pick up the rights for Worlds, at least? It would majorly suck for Canadians fs fans not to have any television coverage of a World Championships which takes place in Canada. :disapp:

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Still no figure skating listings on British Eurosport - has anyone any up-to-date information? Eurosport told me by email they would be covering but apparently on Twitter they've said they're still not sure....

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Do you guys think TSN/CTV might pick up the rights for Worlds, at least? It would majorly suck for Canadians fs fans not to have any television coverage of a World Championships which takes place in Canada. :disapp:

Yeah, it would suck.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Any news, insider info or whatsoever on Eurosports coverage? I have almost given up, but who knows......

German Eurosport will stream the GP :) they already have Skate America in their upcoming schedule

Woah! Thank you so much Lunalovesskating!!!! Very good news indeed! :agree:

Guys, I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but if you are basing this on the box on the top left hand corner of this page, then the same goes as what NanaPat said for the CBC website:

That's the events schedule, not the broadcast/streaming schedule. The broadcast/streaming schedule is still blank.

At least, that's how it always used to be. They might have changed it without telling us.

Still no figure skating listings on British Eurosport - has anyone any up-to-date information? Eurosport told me by email they would be covering but apparently on Twitter they've said they're still not sure....

I honestly think the only time we will know for sure is when we have schedule listings for the whole of that weekend. And that won't be until a week beforehand.

Whatever happens, this is not the way to treat their customers. But, let's face it, this has always been the case. I love Eurosport, but their style of customer service (or lack thereof) infuriates me.

CaroLiza_fan

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I dislike Eurosport with their omnipresent commercials/trailers, major cuts to FS, and primitive local commentators. Not intending to buy their Player, which doesn't store the events for long anyway, does it. I dream of a world in which sports competition rights become void a week after the event's broadcast. Not like the channels would ever return to it anyway. Maybe in an alternative universe...

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I just wrote to Eurosport Player customer service and they replied that the skating events (GP, Euros, 4CC & WC) will not be shown on Eurosport Player. :drama::dbana::tantrum:

Uhrm... so ... the only hope that remain is the dodgy streaming from Russia.... ??? :sad21:

Tutto

Record Breaker
I just wrote to Eurosport Player customer service and they replied that the skating events (GP, Euros, 4CC & WC) will not be shown on Eurosport Player. :drama::dbana::tantrum:

Uhrm... so ... the only hope that remain is the dodgy streaming from Russia.... ??? :sad21:

Well that seems to be final... the end of the era...
I wonder if BBC would cover Worlds at least more than their usual 2 hour highlights?

MGstyle

Medalist
I only discovered Eurosport player 2 years ago, used for two seasons and seemed like a godsent. Quality image, option without commentary, reliability, no more annoying freezing, subsequent delay and having to refresh continuously which happens all the time with the Russian streaming. Dreaded to go back to that routine which once I took it for granted :disapp:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom

On Twitter they say they still don’t know. Eurosport customer service is so bad...

russell30

Final Flight
On Twitter they say they still don’t know. Eurosport customer service is so bad...

I think guys we can only wait a week to 2 weeks before hand, they generally have not let us down, even if its highlights of the GP it will be something....They have Simon Reed on board...so I am sure (confident) they might have some skating! :agree: Lets not panic at this stage, still have some challengers to come

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
All smaller sport federations are struggling to market their sport and get their events some exposure. When the LOC finds a sponsor for a YT, Vimeo or DialyMotion live stream, they don't need any traditional broadcaster like Eurosport anymore. Certain cities, regions or countries gladly promote themselves this way, in the US, Canada and Western Europe you need commercial sponsors, not tax payers, to pay for a live stream.

Many smaller feds already rely on YT, like fencing, canoeing, which I both follow, for their events are indoors or easy to stage. I love Eurosports biathlon and alpine coverage, which requires a multi camera crew and such, so these sports need powerful sponsors.

With HQ smartphones in everybody's hand there is no 'exclusivity' anymore in coverage. There are always leaks. Large old fashioned video and photo camera's can, have been and will probably still, be banned. Banning smartphones will cause a riot in the audience. Most LOC's don't bother anymore.

USA Gymnastics provides extensive YT coverage of its events,
DTB is now doing the same for 2019 Gymnastics Worlds, at least up until podium training. Wether actual competition will be live steamed is unknown, and there are always geoblocks to consider.

Marketing sports to a wider audience isn't easy these days, and classic media like newspapers and TV stations are quickly loosing out.

MGstyle

Medalist
The question is... if ISU sold their rights to elsewhere, WHERE??? And how do one purchase an access to it? (hoping that it is not a highway robbery... I already refused Sky in previous years, the available package comes with everything else that I wouldn't have a minimum of interest - thus resorting to the Russian livestreaming)

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Just remembered Jan Dijkema’s Manifesto for his re-election as ISU president. It talks about wanting to increase the experience for fans in the stadium and in the media (!). More partnerships to promote ice skating.
Further developing a fan- centric cross-media strategy. Reach out to fans, entertain them and build loyalty (!!!). Increasing relevant content for fans on TV, the website, social media channels [...]

Well, considering the vast amounts of speed skating my television can show me vs the already very small and now possibly non-existent amount of figure skating, and the same goes for livestreams... I dunno, Mr Dijkema, but once again I get this sneaky suspicion that ice skating equals speed skating, and I cannot help but think somewhere along the line you lost sight of your noble goals. What does it matter if the fans from your own part of the world cannot watch figure skating? They can just endlessly watch people race in oval circles. Joy.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
The question is... if ISU sold their rights to elsewhere, WHERE???

This +1.
I just don’t get it. Why all this ridiculous mystery surrounding the rights? And if the rights have been sold to some company other than Eurosport, wouldn’t it make sense for that other company to, you know, PROMOTE it? Or at least have the braincells to let fans knows so we can happily give them our money?!

How is it even possible that two weeks prior to competition, a company like Eurosport cannot even get its facts straight? Either you have the rights or you don’t. It’s not rocket science.

gioccia

On the Ice
It’s called negotiating. ISU wants more money than those companies are willing to offer. I’m not sure about rating of Grand Prix live. Most people watch it on YouTube. So... They will wait till the last minute.

MGstyle

Medalist
Someone on a Facebook group actually wrote to ISU and she received a reply.
Here I copy - "Hello, it is true that Eurosport will not be broadcasting Figure Skating, because we are trying to make figure skating more accessible to everyone. There will be an announcement very soon about the new broadcasting, as soon as the negotiations have been finished in all territories, and we are sure you will not be disappointed" :shocked:

Well, I do hope what they say is true. Although one has to wonder why they geoblocked their own streaming in most countries in previous seasons, IF they are aiming for wider accessibility as they say. :scratch:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Although one has to wonder why they geoblocked their own streaming in most countries in previous seasons, IF they are aiming for wider accessibility as they say. :scratch:

That would have been because free livestreaming conflicted with pre-existing broadcasting agreements in those countries.

rinkside_user

On the Ice
I'm worried. It's also sad to see one of my habits go, namely having the option of comparing different commentaries of the same skate (mostly ESP, CBC and NBC).