Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I've now also contacted the ISU to state my displeasure. Everybody should do the same. What with their war on Youtube, who knows if I'll even be able to find videos of the competitors after the event? They need to get their crap together. They surely cannot hope to win new fans to the sport if it is this hard to find a way to watch. I told them as much.

Somehow when it comes to taking the vids down (that cannot be seen any other ways) it takes a few hours, but when it comes to telling us how on Earth we are going to watch the sport this year, it takes a month... (sigh)

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
If the ISU does make its own broadcast method, it'll probably be in English.

Wow, nothing says, "Let's grow figure skating!" like taking away commentary in the native languages of many small fed countries! :agree:

russell30

Final Flight
We need a figure skating channel, the tournaments have grown, more challengers now!!, the ISU could develop it....but it needs to be in all countries...

I will miss Simon, Chris from Eurosport, And PJ Kwong from CBC

doublequad

On the Ice
I Dont GET IT. If CBC doesn't have the rights in Canada, who does? If the ISU is holding out for a bigger bidder and nobody bids, then they're idiots.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
If the ISU does make its own broadcast method, it'll probably be in English.

Wow, nothing says, "Let's grow figure skating!" like taking away commentary in the native languages of many small fed countries! :agree:

Exactly. This cannot really be about making this sport more popular, it can only be about money. I am a fan, and so I am willing to shell out already. I'm prepared to give money to watch figure skating. But how did I become a fan? Not because I could watch some elitist stream by chance, no, it was because figure skating was available, broadcasted for free, on a channel on TV. Yes, in the new media reality we live in, the classical television media doesn't dominate anymore, but....it's not about those people who are already fans! They will pay, and they will pay gladly. But the sport will lose the casual audience too, and will become even more niche. Not everyone seeks it out, because they don't even know it exists. This is all so problematic, I don't even know what to write anymore. I'm shocked, sad and angry.

Fluffice

Rinkside
I Dont GET IT. If CBC doesn't have the rights in Canada, who does? If the ISU is holding out for a bigger bidder and nobody bids, then they're idiots.

I don't get the holdout either. I'm sure CBC is willing to get the rights at a certain price, and they make the competitions quite accessible too. If it's all about money, then the ISU needs to wake up and realize that not broadcasting the competitions does not grow the sport and I'm not sure that's good for future growth. It's not like we're talking about a rights dispute for something already popular like hockey, football(soccer), or american football.

I'm not a hardcore fan, either. If CBC can't broadcast (I use antenna and still receive CBC), then I'm not going out of my way to look for shady sites and streams. I'll just wait for highlights - if they ever do come by.

I just want this to be over with tbh. Give me a deal/no deal and either stop holding back those who want to watch the competitions or just straight up confirm that you can't get a deal done for whatever reason. I hate how the ISU is leaving us in limbo.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
It's strange that CBC isn't putting the money into figure skating coverage this year when the Worlds are in Canada. You would think CBC & the ISU could come to an agreement during a Worlds year on home ice.

Well, at least we have the CTV/TSN coverage of Skate Canada this month with Rod & Tracy.

rain

Record Breaker
It's strange that CBC isn't putting the money into figure skating coverage this year when the Worlds are in Canada. You would think CBC & the ISU could come to an agreement during a Worlds year on home ice.

Well, at least we have the CTV/TSN coverage of Skate Canada this month with Rod & Tracy.

As much as CBC coverage is always 1000 times better than CTV/TSN, if for no other reason than CBC archives it's streaming coverage and so you can still watch if you can't catch it live (some of us work, you'd think they'd be more accommodating), and I can't stand Rod Black, something's better than nothing, I guess.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I just received a reply from Eurosport that they will be covering the Grand Prix events, European's, 4cc and World's. at least on the player (so it a paid subscription, but I was already doing that).

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I just received a reply from Eurosport that they will be covering the Grand Prix events, European's, 4cc and World's. at least on the player (so it a paid subscription, but I was already doing that).

I just don't get these contradicting messages!! How can it be so hard to communicate what's happening? Why is one answer no, another yes? I will subscribe again, but I have to know for sure.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker

LOL.

Hi ISU, how, exactly, is making things only available on Eurosport Player equal making the events accessible to more fans? To me, that translates to fewer. Not more.

Anyway, I have to see it before I believe it. Too many different replies to the same question. Unbelievable. i wouldn’t have believed so many answers could even exist to one question. ;-)

Ziotic

Medalist
I don’t think CBC would have the rights to worlds, just as they can’t show Skate Canada. Any event happening hosted by skate Canada is owned by CTV/TSN.

rain

Record Breaker
I don’t think CBC would have the rights to worlds, just as they can’t show Skate Canada. Any event happening hosted by skate Canada is owned by CTV/TSN.

That's Skate Canada (the grand prix) and Canadian nationals every year....I don't know that it applies to worlds, no matter where it is.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

That's Skate Canada (the grand prix) and Canadian nationals every year....I don't know that it applies to worlds, no matter where it is.

That's a thing I have often wondered - how did that situation come about, that CTV shows the Canadian round of the Senior GP series, but CBC shows the rest of the ISU events?

You know, if there was ever going to be any changes in the figure skating broadcast rights in Canada, I always expected that it would be that, once the contract between Skate Canada and CTV came up for renewal, CBC would make a concerted effort to try to get the Canadian events so as to become the undisputed "home of figure skating" in Canada (to use a Eurosport phrase). I never expected that the change would be CBC losing the rights to the events they had.

Another question. We know just from looking at the logo that CTV's sports channel, TSN, has connections with Disney's sports channel, ESPN. But, I was wondering if NBC Universal has got connections with any sports channels in Canada. I've already speculated as to whether Sky Sports might pick up the figure skating rights in the British Isles due to them now having common ownership with the American rights holders, NBC Universal. Could a similar scenario happen in Canada with a sports channel owned by / connected with NBC Universal?

CaroLiza_fan

Ziotic

Medalist

I’m like 99% sure it does. I believe the language in the contract is anything that occurs on Canadian soil is CTV.

icybear

Medalist
ISU cares more about making money even if it means reducing the viewers. All they care about is a big media deal

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
ISU cares more about making money even if it means reducing the viewers. All they care about is a big media deal

Waiting for last minute bargain deals they are? Or end up with no deal at all??

cake

On the Ice
I´m totally confused. I also send a question to Eurosport-Player (Germany) and asked them about broadcasting. They replied right now they unfortunately don´t have information whether they have broadcasting rights :confused: It seems to be impossible to get at least consistent information. I don´t understand this situation at all.

Artemisa

Final Flight
If ISU wants her channel like gimnastic this worlds I don't see that like a bad thing if they put TED to do the reports on seniores!!!!!

P.S. Eurosport has in their schedule skate america 18 of october

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
A big part of the reason I got in to Skating was because of the wonderful Eurosport commentators. I just want to know one way or the other...