Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport

nickp91

Final Flight
why would the CBC turn down showing one of the most popular sports in Canada? We need skating on tv in Canada!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
why would the CBC turn down showing one of the most popular sports in Canada? We need skating on tv in Canada!

My guess is that the ISU's asking price is more than what CBC is willing to pay.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
That's Skate Canada (the grand prix) and Canadian nationals every year....I don't know that it applies to worlds, no matter where it is.

Luckily, I am guaranteed to see Skate Canada, but I want more... and the year started so well with Juniors...

rain

Record Breaker
My guess is that the ISU's asking price is more than what CBC is willing to pay.

And this is where the ISU is so foolish. If there is no bidding war within the country, you need to just take what you can get, and get skating on the air somehow to create that demand — then you can charge premium prices. Making it inaccessible just makes it more obscure and less desirable for the networks.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
First GP competition starts in ten days.
Ten.
And we know nothing. Only a gazillion different replies, which might all be false for all we know.
Well done, ISU.
What a joke.

Fluffice

Rinkside
Maybe the ISU wanted to take a calculated risk and see if they could get more revenue? If that's the case, it clearly backfired. I don't know what's happening anymore. Either way, I just want a definitive answer. Is that too much to ask?

Bcash

Final Flight
Sounds like ISU is closing out some deal with some online streaming service for their worldwide rights. Not sure how things will pan out. Not announcing any detail with 10 days left is certainly weird.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Sounds like ISU is closing out some deal with some online streaming service for their worldwide rights. Not sure how things will pan out. Not announcing any detail with 10 days left is certainly weird.

ISU probably still thinks they have the strongest arm in this wrestling match for coverage and rights, while in fact it is the broadcasters that dictate.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
<cough BREXIT <cough>

I'm going to my shed to cry bitter tears of frustration.

Haven't thought of Brexit with respect to ISU and figure skating broacasts, knowing I can always watch BBC Red Button on satellite TV, but it probably means BBC will have to re-negotiate with EBU for rights? Where is Eurosport based? It is British or based in same low tax haven like Luxembourgh?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Haven't thought of Brexit, but it probably means BBC will have to re-negotiate with EBU for rights? Where is Eurosport based? It is British or based in same low tax haven like Luxembourgh?

Eurosport is a French channel. It was bought by the American company Discovery a few years ago, but is still based in a Paris suburb.

I don't know if many people realise this, but both Eurosport and Euronews were actually founded by the EBU.

You know, it is times like these that I wish the EBU had kept Eurosport and Euronews in house, rather than selling stakes to outsiders. Because both channels have gone seriously downhill under their respective new owners.

More importantly, we would not be having the rights problems we have now, as Eurosport would still be able to have access to everything that the EBU has rights for.

CaroLiza_fan

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
American capitalism vs Europe's lack of decisiveness and coherence

ice coverage

Record Breaker
WHAT in the world is this supposed to mean... ??? Ok, I would gladly pay 35€ for a season pass, if that means all the ISU events for this season, but I guess this is not what it is for???? Just Finland related...???

I saw this and I was just like, "wHaT?" the US Figure Skating NBC Sports Gold pass is $59.99 but it includes major international competitions as well as domestic competitions. Grand Prix? It's there. Worlds? It's there. Euros/4CC? It's there.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I saw this and I was just like, "wHaT?" the US Figure Skating NBC Sports Gold pass is $59.99 but it includes major international competitions as well as domestic competitions. Grand Prix? It's there. Worlds? It's there. Euros/4CC? It's there.

Thanks for the info. Do they offer a "commentary-off" option? Eurosport player did. If there is absolutely no other choice, I might consider it.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thanks for the info. Do they offer a "commentary-off" option? Eurosport player did. If there is absolutely no other choice, I might consider it.

Make sure to check before you do!

Unfortunately, I think that even if you are able to purchase a Sports Gold package with a foreign credit card, since you’re located outside the US, you will probably be geoblocked from seeing anything except US Nats.

Unless of course NBC purchases broadcast rights for Canada and Europe.

There is usually no commentary and the stream quality is mostly very good and reliable.

icybear

Medalist
Doesnt ISU have this Eurovision channel where countries that they dont have a media deal can watch figure skating for free?