Dutch Figure Skating | Golden Skate

Dutch Figure Skating

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I think it's time for a thread about Dutch Figure Skating - and unless there is a thread hidden among much older threads - I thought I might as well be the poster to start one.

We don't have much of a heritage in Figure Skating apart from three ladies who did quite well in the 60s and 70s, Sjoukje Dijkstra (Olympic Gold and Silver), Joan Haanappel (three European Bronzes) and Dianne de Leeuw (Olympic silver, World Gold and two World Bronzes, two European Silvers and one European Bronze). Men have never really picked it up (although there have been and are National Champions of course). Currently however, thanks to Joan Haanappels tireless efforts and despite the attitude of our National Federation that focuses mostly on speed skaters (they get all the funding too) the sport is finally picking up. We've had ladies at Europeans and Worlds a few times recently, and even a guy who managed to skate at europeans as well as at the Universiade in 2017. Furthermore, there are some junior ladies coming up. Don't get me wrong, these skaters aren't anywhere near the skaters from the top nations, and even the subtop, but there definitely is an improvement. Furthermore we even have got some pairs in the mix.

Well, here goes. I have to mention Nicki Wories first, as she made it to Worlds a few years ago, was definitely on the rise, but has been hampered by injuries (including quite a few concussions) since. I believe it is getting better now. Kyarha van Tiel took part in Europeans and Worlds last year, and though not good enough to skate the FS, she is still improving. Lenne van Gorp, Kaya Scheepens and Lindsay van Zundert are juniors on the rise (although maybe Kaya has now turned senior). They take part in the JGP and if at all possible also in Junior Worlds. Most train in The Netherlands or Belgium (Belgium has a bit more of recent heritage than the Dutch do, and some excellent coaches) although they also attend training camps in the off season abroad. Working with Mischin for example! Nicki trains in Canada.

The one guy is Thomas Kennes who had two off seasons (one through injury, and the other through coach issues) but I am rooting for him again now he looks to have settled down with Jorik Hendrickx as one of his coaches.

We have two pair couples, although I haven't heard from Michel Tsiba and Daria Danilova since the last Challenge Cup so I'm not sure they're still at it. I hope they are of course as some National rivalry is all for the good. The other pair consists of Liubov Efimenko and Dmitry Epstein, the latter having skated pairs with his twin sister before. I understand Efimenko/Epstein will be competing at the Nebelhorn Trophy.

Ice Dance alas is a bit forgotten. There was a junior ice dance girl who went to skate with a French partner but I never heard from them again. Which is a pity.

It would be great if we can follow all the efforts of these skaters, and that other posters respond and post if they see one of them, or hear from them.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Long live Ted Barton! Not saying anything new on that score I think, but today it got a bit personal. In the sense that he was commenting on two Dutch Figure skaters in the JGP. Both debutants, both just 14. They did well enough, though not spectacularly so. But especially with the boy (Didier) Ted made some lovely comments about his fierceness as a competitor. He was second to last in the end, but that's not the point really, and Ted observed that. i am quite sure young didier will work even harder now he's experienced this event. Dani didn't score that high either (and regrettably had a fall) but he had some nice comments there as well as some points of critique. But Ted always is so constructive. It must me great to hear for these two skaters looking back. Well, Free Skate tomorrow. I suspect I'll be back!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I immediately admit I'm biased, but I really thought Daria and Michel were underscored on the TES at Finlandia Espoo Short Programme. Not on the PCS (which was low, but deservedly so - they really need to work on that) but I've seen worse skates getting much higher TES, even at this specific competition. No falls (yes, there were hands on the ice and things, but no falls), not too bad synchronisation on the SBS spins, no missed lifts or anything. Still not enough TES to get to Europeans. A pity. I hope they'll do well at the FS and manage the TES there. Then they might get their TES minimums at another competition.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I think I'm the only one posting here, and as I'm also the one who created this thread it is a bit depressing. However, I do understand. Dutch Figure Skating isn't a subject top of mind of most fans. Even apart from the 'big' countries, there are small ones with highlights every so often which we just don't have. Not since 1976. But, Finland Espoo had two Dutch entrees so to me it's worthwhile reporting even if no one will be interested. Here goes. Again I felt Danilova and Tsiba were underscored, now in the FS. No falls (again), but obviously the speed was too low (Michal even stood completely still after one lift), the jumps were so-so (a two footed throw, hands on the ice, 'just' a double axel even if combined with a double toeloop) and so so on. But they interpreted the music (another Grease outing, so popular this year) and they looked good. I still think they show promise. they've only been together for less than two years after all.

What about Niki? I feel sorry for her. She showed promise before, even relocated to Canada to improve her skating, but has suffered so many injuries - including quite a few concussions - since then and it shows. Although I'm glad to see her back in the game, it doesn't look good. A real pity.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Not a video to be found of the skate, but it seems Thomas Kennes skated an excellent SP at the Golden Bear leaving him in third. I hope he keeps it up in the long.

Regrettably Thomas had some stamina problems dutring the FS, and he ended up 8th. Still a PB for him, so I don't think he'll be too disappointed.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've only just found out that we actually have an ice dance couple representing the Netherlands. Not the one whom I mentioned earlier (and of whom I had never heard of again) but a couple that will compete at the Volvo Cup this weekend - Chelsea VERHAEGH / Sherim VAN GEFFEN. A nice surprise. Let's see how it goes in Latvia.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've only just found out that we actually have an ice dance couple representing the Netherlands. Not the one whom I mentioned earlier (and of whom I had never heard of again) but a couple that will compete at the Volvo Cup this weekend - Chelsea VERHAEGH / Sherim VAN GEFFEN. A nice surprise. Let's see how it goes in Latvia.

Good luck to them!

Nirti

Medalist
Ice Dance alas is a bit forgotten. There was a junior ice dance girl who went to skate with a French partner but I never heard from them again. Which is a pity.

You're probably talking about Chanel DEN OLDEN / Rodolphe SABATINI. They competed in the 2016 Junior Grand Prix, but their partnership seem to have ended now.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
You're probably talking about Chanel DEN OLDEN / Rodolphe SABATINI. They competed in the 2016 Junior Grand Prix, but their partnership seem to have ended now.

Exactly! Though I'm pleased there's a new couple now. They haven't been long together, and I'm wishing them a lot of success.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
For good order: whether I'll be watching live or not, I'll only report on results after the events, so as not to come into conflict with GS guidelines on competition threads!

Tallinn Trophy (a competition for single's only) has an unbelievably high number of entries from the Netherlands on both the Senior and Junior levels. Junior and Senior men start tomorrow (tuesday) and have their Free Skate on wednesday, senior ladies the same. Junior ladies will kick off on the wednesday and perform their free programmes on thursday. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to follow them all, as the timing is often during working hours. However, I will try to keep up with results. The following skaters will be there.

Senior ladies: Niki Wories and Kyarha van Tiel
Senior men: Thomas Kennes
Junior ladies: Mikai van Ommeren, Dani Loonstra, Isabella Smit, Lindsey van Zundert
Junior men: Didier Dijkstra.

There will be a live stream as far as I can see now (via You Tube).

One of our Dutch Pairs (Daria Danilova and Michel Tsiba) will be competing this weekend at Warsaw Cup. Let's hope they'll get their TES for Europeans!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is great to see the dutch skating federation competing. Give them time. It is rather tough with tech elements in singles skating mind you. Scarey tough Things plateaued in men and ladies and then the floodgates opened. It is a whole new world. But as skating gains popularity in the Netherlands so shall the rise of the tulip nation in figure skating. Look at Korea With the rise of Yuna Kim came many fans and skating prodiges

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Time for a first report from Tallinn Trophee. The competition of both the Junior and the Senior Men has been finalised.

In the Junior Event Didier Dijkstra was last in the SP, 8th (out of 9 entrees) in the FS, and sadly did not gather enough points to move up a spot after that, also because his 8th place in the Free wasn't caused by the SP number 8 skating badly, but someone wh had been far more to the front of the placements. So, he ended 9th. To me, it does show determination to do well, and not to give up after a bad Short. It's his first season in juniors, and I don't know whether he has been in international competitions before this year. He skated at Challenge cup last season, but not yet in Juniors. He debuted at the JGP this season.

Thomas Kennes was 6th in the SP, 5th in the FS, and did manage to move up a spot. He ended in 5th (out of 14). Well done Thomas. No falls either. I hope I'll be able to watch it later (this evening).

Senior ladies are next. After the SP Kyarha sits in 12th, and Niki in 10th.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Second report from Tallinn Trophee. Sadly, our two senior ladies both didn't manage to maintain (let alone rise up higher) their placements after the SP. Both didn't have particularly good LP's and Niki Wories ended up 12th and Kyarha van Tiel 15th. In a field of 19, that's not really an uplifting result. Niki fell twice, Kyarha once. In the case of Kyarha it seems to be a stamina issue - she started off fine but dropped off during the course of the programme. Not sure about Niki.

The Junior ladies are a bit of a mixed bag until now. We'll see how they do tomorrow at the LP, but for now after the SP Lindsey van Zundert is 5th, Isabella Smit is 9th, Dani loonstra is 11th, and Mikai van Ommeren is 16th (however, I think it was her first Junior international outing and therefore not as negative as it seems). The total field was 22.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Are all the figure skating fans in your country away in Estonia? Because I am currently watching the Advanced Novice competition, and there seemed to be an awful lot of support for Eline Seuren there now.

There was chanting when she was introduced; cheers whenever she did a good jump; and loud applause when she finished and again when her scores were announced.

I would go as far as to say that she got more of a reaction than any of the local skaters! :shocked:

In all seriousness, it is geat to see a Dutch skater getting so much support. I hope that this is a sign of interest in figure skating picking up in the Netherlands.

CaroLiza_fan

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Are all the figure skating fans in your country away in Estonia? Because I am currently watching the Advanced Novice competition, and there seemed to be an awful lot of support for Eline Seuren there now.

There was chanting when she was introduced; cheers whenever she did a good jump; and loud applause when she finished and again when her scores were announced.

I would go as far as to say that she got more of a reaction than any of the local skaters! :shocked:

In all seriousness, it is geat to see a Dutch skater getting so much support. I hope that this is a sign of interest in figure skating picking up in the Netherlands.

CaroLiza_fan

I just found out today (there was an article on the website of the Dutch Skating Federation KNSB) that they are there with the biggest team ever. They are currently working on getting a real National team together (finally), and also working with Jorik Hendrikx from Belgium.

The big team in Estonia probably resulted in quite a few (family) fans coming over as well. Great to hear the skaters got cheered, although a bit sad for the local skaters. I wish all skaters got cheered!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Final report (I realise there are competetitors in Advanced Novice but I'm not really following them) from Tallinn. Lindsey van Zundert ended in 6th with 2 5th placements. She had two reasonably good skates. Mikai van Ommeren gave us a "Masada"(or a "Chen") by rising up from 16th in the SP to 8th (and 7th in the FS) which is quite an achievement. Dani Loonstra ended up being 9th (rose up from 11th), and Isabella Smit ended in 16th (it wasn't her day) by doing a "Zhou" (or a "Jin") like Vincent did in 2018 Worlds, down from 9th in the Short to 16th in the end. Let's hope she'll redeem herself (just like Zhou did last season) in a further competition.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Here's a short report from Warsaw Cup. Thanks to a link Ichatdelune posted for me, I could watch Daria/Michel's Short Programme there, while I watched the long live. Regrettably their skates weren't as well executed as at Finlandia though I believe they actually got more points this time (at least for the Free skate). Not enough for Minimum TES at Worlds or even Europeans. Close, but not enough. It's still possible for them, so I hope they will finally get them. Efimenko/Epstein have them for Europeans (and for the Free at Worlds too), but I haven't seen them around lately. They were originally on the list for Nebelhorn, but disappeared thereof. I hope they're still competing!

Edit: Efimenko/Epstein actually did compete at Nebelhorn (11th) and were originally on the list for Finlandia. That's where they didn't come.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
ladyjane, thank you. I was going to ask about Efimenko/Epstein if this team still exists. It seems there is an injury. I wish a speedy recovery by the Europeans.
And Darya and Mishel have another opportunity to obtain at least Europeans minimal TES at Golden Spin. Good luck to them.

Andrea82

Medalist

They are entered at Bosphorus Cup next week