Dutch Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Dutch Figure Skating

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Thank you so much for your support Harriet! As you can imagine, I'm also thrilled, even if to be honest, I've seen them do better. But, nerves do come forward at competitions like this. But they made it!!!!! It was a nice positive after poor Thomas's failure in the men's event. It must be so frustrating for him that his one time colleague and home competitor (Michel used to do singles) manages to get to the final in his first Euros, and Thomas again did not succeed (and I think it's his 5th Euros). But very thrilled and pleased about Daria and Michel making it their first time out. So happy for them! Small party here now. First Dutch couple at Euros since 1996, and they did it.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Poor Niki. I haven't seen her SP yet, but I have seen the score. Beforehand I really thought she had a chance to qualify, considering her season's best. But...it didn't happen. Her score was abominably low. So no lady in the Euros Free programme.

And, of course, Daria and Michel aren't yet at it...so 16th is fine. They're still improving, so it's not really that bad.

Edit: Too bad that it was the lifts that actually lowered the quality. I mean, even top pairs have missing jumps. But this was not good. At least they seem to like each other, and that will help for the future!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Bavarian Open

The next competition which has quite a few Dutch skaters on the roster is the Bavarian open (3-9 Feb - same week as 4 Continents) in Oberstdorf, Germany. A complete list of preliminary entries can be found here: https://www.bev-eissport.de/download/BO2020Entries_0.pdf. There are some interesting entrees from Japan, Canada and the USA.

But for the fans of Dutch skating, herewith the Dutch participants (also preliminary):

Senior ladies: Kyarha van Tiel and Niki Wories
Senior Pairs: Daria Danilova and Michel Tsiba
Senior Dance: Chelsea Verhaegh and Sherim van Geffen
Junior Ladies: Dani Loonstra, Mikai van Ommeren and Lindsay van Zundert
Advanced novice girls: Jane Knoester, Lois Libregts, Julia van Dijk and Emilie Schop.

No men/boys, except for the male partners in the pairs and ice dance categories.

As I understand it, there will be a live stream. I don't know if the performances will be archived (for those who wish to watch 4CC, although that event will take place in a totally different time zone).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Small result: Linden van Bemmel ended 13th (out of 14) at Dragon Trophy. I haven't seen the skate.

The Joan Haanappel Foundation Figure Skating Netherlands alerted me to the 'Ice Talent Trophy' in Hasselt (Belgium) where Lois Libregts was 5th in Juniors, and Lindsay van Zundert won in Juniors. Lenne van Gorp was first in Seniors and Kyarha van Tiel second. I am sorry to say I didn't actually know about this competition but it's nice for 3 of the 4 the Dutch ladies to come back home with a medal. Looks like it was a Dutch-Belgian (and perhaps Luxembourg) competition.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Some results from the Bavarian Open:

In advanced novice girls Julia van Dijk, Emilie Schop and Jane Knoester were 9th, 11th and 22nd respectively out of 22 skaters in total. Lois Libregts had withdrawn. There were two groups of advanced novice ladies. The other group consisted of 24 skaters. 46 girls in all, that's quite a number!

In junior ladies Lindsay van Zundert, Dani Loonstra and Mikai van Ommeren were 4th, 9th and 12th respectively out of 17 skaters in total. There were also two groups of junior ladies, with the other group consisting of18 skaters. Interesting note here was that Lindsay improved her PB in the Free by more than 15 points. A major success for her. I have of course congratulated her on this achievement (not directly, via the FB page of the Joan Haanappel Foundation Figure Skating Netherlands).

Still more Dutch skating to come in Oberstdorf, once the seniors get started! Beginning with ladies and pairs tomorrow (on the 6th of February).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Bavarian open continued.

Ladies (senior): Niki Wories had a really successful outing, mostly due to executing an excellent Short Programme and managing to limit the mistakes in the Free (she was only 6th in the Free) and holding up, combined with some skaters who had bad Shorts having good Free Skates but being too far behind to catch up. Good for Niki! She must be very happy to finally be back on track it seems since her injuries (and concussions) in recent years. The competition definitely wasn't Kyarha's. She was only 13th in the Short, and even lower in the Free (15th), ending up 14th. I hope her next competition will be more successful. I really missed the rivalry between the two ladies, as the distance in placements really was too big to even think of rivalries.

Pairs (Senior): Daria Danilova and Michel Tsiba were 8th (out of 10 pairs), 8th in the Short and 9th in the Free. They managed to hold on to 8th place.

Ice Dance still to come for the Dutch contingent of skaters here.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Final report of the Bavarian Open.

Chelsea Verhaegh and Sherim van Geffen ended last in a total of 11 Dance Teams (it should have been twelve but one team withdrew after the RD). However, they did manage to be 10th in the FD, but the couple behind them was too far ahead after the RD for the two Dutchies to climb in the standings.

This was also the last chance for them to get the minimum TES for Worlds, but I wasn't surpised they didn't. They did get the minimum TES for Europeans in the RD (but not the FD), and of course the minimum numbers are higher for both RD and FD in Worlds. There was a very slight chance to obtain these, and they didn't. Now, they still have a National Championship te skate, which they can't lose as they're the only couple contending, and then the work will start for the next season. I actually feel they did quite well for a couple who only teamed up less than a year ago. In fact I didn't report on them until november 2019! Of course it would have been nice if their improvement would have gone a little faster, but there is no reason to not expect them to do even better next season. Onwards.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a wee tip off to let you know that Phebe Bekker is now on Ice Partner Search.

She does mention in her description that she has a Dutch passport. So if there are any suitable Dutch skaters out there that are looking for an Ice Dance partner, I would recommend that they make themselves known to her coaching team pronto. Because she is very promising and, after seeing how good she was with a partner at the recent British Championships, it would be a travesty to see her go back to Solo Dance already.

CaroLiza_fan

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Just a wee tip off to let you know that Phebe Bekker is now on Ice Partner Search.

She does mention in her description that she has a Dutch passport. So if there are any suitable Dutch skaters out there that are looking for an Ice Dance partner, I would recommend that they make themselves known to her coaching team pronto. Because she is very promising and, after seeing how good she was with a partner at the recent British Championships, it would be a travesty to see her go back to Solo Dance already.

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks for this.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The Challenge Cup is on, and that means there will be Dutch Figure Skaters trying to shine as it's also their Nationals (the single/couple ending highest will also be the National Champion). I know some of the skaters personally (if not well), so I will try to report on them all. Regrettably I couldn't attend today, but I will be attending bits and pieces of the Competition later on. It takes place in my home town after all.

Junior men: Didier Dijkstra is 12th (out of 17) after the Short Programme. Not bad, considering he was last at his one JGP assignment. Not unexpectedly the Japanese young man is in first.

Advanced novice ladies: A Belgian lady on top (I love it that the Belgians tend to do so well at this competition over the years), and the first Dutch lady is in 7th place after the SP(Julia van Dijk). There are really a lot of young girls here in total: 38 participants. The rest of the Dutch ladies are in 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th, 31st, 32nd, 33rd, 36th, and 37th. Sorry, no names. It would just be a list of young girls who nobody knows at this moment in time.

Advanced novice men: no Dutch entries (last year Didier Dijkstra participated, but he has moved on to Juniors since - see above).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
More Challenge Cup:

Junior men: Didier Dijkstra was 15th in the Free, and 14th overall (out of 17 skaters). He seemed to have had two falls (2-point deduction) in this Free. But, he wasn't last, and I think that's something. He is improving in the International setting along the season, and that should be motivating for him.

Advanced novice ladies: good for Julia van Dijk who was 4th overall and 3rd in the Free Skate. Congrats to having a really good competition. Regrettably the Belgian girl standing first after the Short presumably had a disastrous Free (15th). I shouldn't have mentioned the Belgians tending to do well at this competition! The other Dutch girls were 22nd, 25th, 26th, 27th, 29th, 30th, 31st, 33rd, 34th, 35th and 36th. One of the Dutch girls had withdrawn after the Short, so there were 37 skaters in total. Which makes Julia's achievement truly remarkable!

Junior ladies: Lindsay van Zundert is the first Dutch lady, in 9th place. Which seems to be right. She was 4th at the Bavarian Open but there were two sets of Junior ladies there, making her 7th or 8th if they had all skated in one group. 9th seems pretty close (and she can rise in the standings if she has a good Free). Isabella Smit, Roos van der Pas and Mikai van Ommeren were 11th, 12th and 13th respectively. The final 4 Dutch ladies were 15th, 16th, 18th and 19th. The field consisted of 21 skaters. I really shouldn't have mentioned Belgian skaters doing well here in my earlier post. The only Belgian skater in this group was last. Sorry, I will not do it again, because I am rather fond of my neighbours and like them to do well at competitions like this.

Now, the senior men SP I attended on location. I've posted a little review in the Challenge Cup Competition thread but here I'll focus on the only Dutch skater: Thomas Kennes. He didn't skate too badly. He turned his double/triple (don't know what he had planned) loop after the 3S into a single which was a pity but at least it was a combination (if with the single invalidated), but he held on to his 3Lz (he fell during Euro's so, that's progress indeed). He is currently in 17th place (out of 20 contestants). However, if he was aiming for minimum TES for Worlds, that was totally out of the question. Not even close. A pity.

Tomorrow (the 22nd of February 2020) I'll be present at the senior ladies short and the senior mens free. Regrettably I won't stay for the Pairs Short and the Rhythm Dance as I've got other plans (attending an opera, which is not to be missed) while Advanced Novice men and Junior ladies really are too early for me. But, of course I will report on everything afterwards.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
More Challenge Cup:

Tomorrow (the 22nd of February 2020) I'll be present at the senior ladies short and the senior mens free. Regrettably I won't stay for the Pairs Short and the Rhythm Dance as I've got other plans (attending an opera, which is not to be missed) while Advanced Novice men and Junior ladies really are too early for me. But, of course I will report on everything afterwards.

I (and I'm sure other Canadians as well) would be very grateful if you could comment in the Canadian thread on the Canadian ladies. This is a critical competition for them; they're trying to get their TES for Senior Worlds.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I (and I'm sure other Canadians as well) would be very grateful if you could comment in the Canadian thread on the Canadian ladies. This is a critical competition for them; they're trying to get their TES for Senior Worlds.

I realise that. I will do so, but it will be after the events (late this evening for SP and early evening tomorrow for the Free). That would probably correspond with (very) early morning for you. Emily already has her TES for the Short while Madeline needs to get both SP and FP (Nirti's overview is invaluable).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily has her TES for the FS, but needed it for the SP. She finally got it!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Indeed she did, and so did Madeline (who didn't have any minimum TES yet)! Sorry, must have seen that wrongly!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Challenge Cup continued.

Dutch ladies in the SP: Kyarha van Tiel really had an off day. I've never seen her skate so bad. That Dutch National title seems very far away now. She was last. Lenne van Gorp wasn't much better, but at least she has just turned senior, and can enjoy the experience. Niki did her job (even with fall) but can do much better. At least she's got the minimums for the Short already. I hope she'll do better tomorrow.

Men's: I had so hoped that Thomas would shine on his home ground, and having no pressure to achieve a minimum (without the TES for the Short, it wasn't a goal to go for in any case) that was perfectly possible. He started off well (I like his 3S-3L a lot), but then he popped a lutz (a single lutz doesn't bring you much) and the second was I believe UR and without an added jump to make a combination. He ended in 17th.

Last but not least: Pairs. I wasn't there to see it, but having Daria and Michel in 5th (of 14 pairs) is quite something. And they got their minimum TES for Worlds too. This makes me really happy!

Back for more tomorrow!

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Congrats to Daria and Michel!
It's great to see more pairs at worlds. I hope they enjoy competing in Montreal!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Some last remarks on the Dutch skating at Challenge Cup.

Ladies: well, it seems Niki skated lights out (and got her minimum TES FS for Worlds into the bargain), and I missed it. I was rather late at the venue, having overslept but still having had to do some things in the house before going to 'De Uithof'. I only saw the last six ladies (and Canada's Madeline was a nice act to start with) and didn't get to know until later that Niki had done so well. Good for her! I hope to find a video somewhere, because the live stream is no longer available and the Dutch Federation won't answer my question about playing back some of the performances.

Pairs: well, Daria and Michel thankfully had a really good SP and had already had gotten the minimums for the long, because their skate today wasn't 'it'. They were slow, they had a time violation, and it just didn't really come together. Grease can be so much fun, but the skaters should rise to the music, and they didn't. Not today. Still, I hope they will be sent to Worlds. They deserve it, not just because of the minimum TES (though that's of course the basic condition), but also because they have been working so hard this season, competing whenever they could. I think they did 3 Challengers besides competing at the Bavarian Open and this one. And of course they were at Euros, and made the Cut to the Long. I think it would be the first time ever to have a Dutch team at Worlds. Go, Daria and Michel!

Ice Dance: I am so happy and proud we finally have an Ice Dance Team in our country. I was so pleased they got the opportunity to show themselves at a Championship before the Home Crowd. So many people stayed to watch, and enjoyed their Free Dance (even if they don't understand the scoring. Neither do I to be honest). They executed it well too. Of course, their points don't count internationally, but I'm sure they must have been very pleased with their performance today. Some low levels, but also a few level 4s. Good for them, and I hope they continue together.